Author Topic: Recently Acquired  (Read 738 times)

Offline Texas Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
Recently Acquired
« on: September 17, 2011, 07:32:55 AM »
I recently acquired my Grand Pa's service pistol. It is a Nickel plated Colt 1911 .45, and according to the serial number it was made between 1918-1919. It is in good condition the grips are pristine. The front sight is missing. I need to put it on my insurance but I don't know what it is worth. Anyone have an idea??

Offline williamlayton

Re: Recently Acquired
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:31:38 AM »
Best to take it and have it appraised---PS--don't hold your breath that it is worth a mint.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline mak43

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 02:55:45 AM »
I agree , having it appraised is the way to go.  In my opinion, nickel plated and service pistol do not sound right together.... unless it was done after service. But, I have been wrong many times before.   ;D
”Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware.”
~Alan Korwin

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 04:25:56 PM »
A large percentage of 1911 service pistols have been chopped, altered, modified, nickeled, even chromed. Have to plead guilty to having altered/modified a couple myself. Too bad I didn't know how valuable some of the "As Issued" A1s would become.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:25:51 AM »
You need a written and signed appraisal form for proof.   The nickel plating is going to bring the value down a little.  My guess would be around $1,200 maybe lower remember i can see it so its a guess.         CZY