Author Topic: Little help trouble shooting, please.  (Read 508 times)

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Little help trouble shooting, please.
« on: September 17, 2011, 09:53:06 AM »
I need some help with a problem. I'm using some Lee dies I purchased new in approx 2004 for 25-06, and am having problems with them splitting out the neck on my brass. I haven't used them for a couple of years, and now they are destroying my brass when I use them. The brass is once fired, tumbled, inspected and lightly lubed before full length sizing, and the brass looks good going into the die. It comes out of the die with a linear crack from the top of the neck toward the shoulder. It occurs on the same place in respect to the die every time.
I tried setting the dies up again per the instructions in the die kit, but still am getting the same splitting problem. I've never had this problem with any of my cartridges in the past, and can't come up with a possible culprit. Can you help with this? Thanks.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Little help trouble shooting, please.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:38:45 AM »
Have the dies rusted inside, or is it possible that resizing lube has dried and hardened inside?  If the dies loaded correctly before and don't now, either something with the dies has gone awry, or the brass has work hardened and become brittle.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:50:14 AM »
Have the dies rusted inside, or is it possible that resizing lube has dried and hardened inside?  If the dies loaded correctly before and don't now, either something with the dies has gone awry, or the brass has work hardened and become brittle.

Ben

These would be my first 2 ideas , pull the de-capping pin and check the ball for dried lube , clean it with some 0000 steelwool and powder slovent like Hoppie's , if that doesn't cure the problem , you'll have to either Anneil the case necks or replace the brass , dies arn't like fruit , they don't often go bad with age -- they only RUST .  ::)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 02:26:10 PM »
Bet it's brittle brass. After you get through inspecting your die,  try annealing your brass or using another lot.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »
I think you have probably nailed it. The inside of the dies look clean and shiny (but I haven't disassembled them yet), but the brass is old.  Thanks. I didn't really consider the brass as the problem. I'll check the dies, then work on annealing.

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »
My question would be, are they being fired in the same rifle as before as before.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »
I think you have probably nailed it. The inside of the dies look clean and shiny (but I haven't disassembled them yet), but the brass is old.  Thanks. I didn't really consider the brass as the problem. I'll check the dies, then work on annealing.

If dies are stored in a controlled climate as they should be along with your other reloading equipment and components and have had reasonable care, I have never seen one rust. I've got dies that are 45+ years old that haven't been used in 20 that are still nice and clean. Can't imagine how a dirty or rusty die could cause case neck splits, but I'm sure I haven't seen it all yet! :-\
Take care,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,