Author Topic: Elk in Indiana???  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Elk in Indiana???
« on: September 17, 2011, 01:40:47 PM »
 Yes sir re bob. No I am not drinking, well not much 8)

Feller over towards Pekin (6 miles from here) Saw a huge Deer out in the field behind his house. He is a straight shooter and not one of the typical BS story tellers at the general store. He said compared to the horse a little ways behind the Deer, this sucker was big. He tried to take a picture of it with his cell phone(crappy pict)

Wife told me what he said, I thought ok but I doubt it. Well then 2 other guys come into the store. Not together, and reporting the same thing. But they spotted it a mile or so from the first supposed siting a day earlier ??? .

After thinking about it, my brain kicked in. There is an Elk farm about 12 miles from there. Wonder if someone lost an Elk? Thinking someone will be eating Elk before to long. Sure wish i had some property in that area. ;)

Lonny

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Elk in Indiana???
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »
Brings to mind a cartoon I saw years ago that showed a lady elk hunter with a smoking rifle in her arms and a scowl on her face while the cowboy standing beside her said" OK, LADY, OK. It's your elk. Just let me take my saddle and bridle off!"

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 01:41:33 PM »
If I didn't know the first guy I would probably agree LOL  ;D

Lonny

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:05:55 PM »
could be from the farm are one of ky,s swam the river. i know deer will

Offline DisGateway

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 05:50:35 PM »
Out towards Marengo someone hit a Elk, with their car. It was in the paper, I did not know about it till my father in law told me. He also said there has been multiple sightings of them in that area.

They are saying that the Elk are crossing the Ohio, from Kentucky were they were just reintroduced not to long ago... who knows maybe one day we will have Elk to hunt :)

I should note I live in Paoli, and have not seen any sign of one and I go through Marengo (area) quite a few times... hearing that they are also in Pekin, is even better news!

Offline sidewinder319

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 06:10:13 PM »
Elk by their nature are far ranging critters. The herds from Ky. are sure to move 100s of miles. Every state in that part of the country will have an elk season with in a few years. They will drive land owners and farmers crazy. They can eat tons of forage and remove fences like a bulldozer. ;D

Offline schoolmaster

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 04:47:26 PM »
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but right now I believe that elk along with a bunch of other "exotics" are protected and not legal to shoot even if escaped from a game farm.

Offline sidewinder319

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 05:16:46 PM »
Depends on the state. I live in a western state. These animals are seen as invasive and are to be shot on sight by anyone. The state has asked hunters to shoot these escapees  after they are found to be roaming in an area.