Author Topic: Leupold- VariX II vs. VX I vs. Rifleman; VX II vs. VariX III  (Read 1042 times)

Offline smoky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
Leupold- VariX II vs. VX I vs. Rifleman; VX II vs. VariX III
« on: January 07, 2004, 06:07:06 AM »
Back when Leupold only had the Vari X II and Vari X III lines, I knew exactly what I was dealing with.  A Vari X II was an exceptional scope for the money and a Vari X III was a top of the line choice.  Then around 1993 (I think) along came multi coat 4 for the lenses.  Great. No Problem. Just an enhancement to their two scope lines.

Now to my knowledge available are the VX I, VX II, Rifleman, Vari-X III, and VX-III lines.  Whew!  I know Leupold prides themselves on giving the customer a lot of choices but this is getting overwhelming.

Now if I want a scope that is most like one of my old vari x II's, do I buy a VX I or a Rifleman.  If I want one like one of my old vari x III's do I buy a VX II?  Can anyone help sort this out?

Thanks,

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Offline Eagle Eye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Leupold- VariX II vs. VX I vs. Rifleman; VX
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 06:23:25 AM »
A complete explaination of the differences is available on the Leupold site.  But to answer your question, the VX1 is the closest scope to the old Vari-x II.  That is to say, coated lenses and friction adjustment together with the same power adjustment and sizing.   The new VX2 has better coating, better glass and 1/4 MOA click adjustments.  The VX2 is a bit brighter when one does a side by side but the difference isn't that great.  

I thought long and hard between the two when scoping my last rifle purchase...ended up with the VX1 because to me, the VX2 wasn't worth the extra money.  I haven't been disappointed.  The 3x9 I bought tracks perfectly and is plenty bright enough for legal hunting hours.  The bonus is it is still a tough Leupold scope.   :grin: