Author Topic: *********  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: The guns of Knoxville.
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »
OldSalt,
Is there a number marked on the upper breech face (not the 118 on the breech ring), or am I seeing things? I'm talking about the area on the rear of the barrel, right above the cascabel knob.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline OoooOOoo1010010

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 02:50:34 PM »

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 05:42:39 AM »
Those Rodman replicas at the courthouse were placed about ten years ago to replace the originals taken during a WWII scrap drive.  Sadly it seems that they never made it farther than scrap yard and were cut up.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 06:44:03 AM »
I would enjoy hearing what the Fraternaty guy has to say.

I had a hectic one yesterday, and didn't get to call him, I'll try later today.

The reason I asked if any markings were on the breech, was because I sent one of your M1841 Howitzer photos to Jim Bender, to try and find out what the number 118 stamped on the breech ring signified; and while he doesn't have an answer for that question, I did find out why nothing was listed on the 'National Registry' in the way of an Army Registery number and foundry number for this weapon. It turns out that this is kind of a mystery howitzer, because there's no U.S. stamped on top of the tube, nor (according to him) any U.S. Army Registy number marked anywhere on it, which means (in all likelihood) that it was never accepted by the army. He thinks that this artillery piece may have been made for a private party.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline OoooOOoo1010010

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 07:24:29 AM »

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 07:54:59 AM »
"It may well have been a private purchase, I do recall accounts of some higher officers buying weapons directly from the MFG. for their units, and paying for them from their own pocket. This Howie may be one such weapon." ~ OldSalt

Absolutely; towns raised money to form their own volunteer batteries out of a sense of patriotism and duty, or sometimes wealthy individuals/groups privately purchased artillery pieces to form and command their own batteries in the war.

Offline OoooOOoo1010010

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 09:57:06 AM »

Offline OoooOOoo1010010

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2011, 10:05:10 AM »

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2011, 08:57:53 AM »
Thanks OldSalt1841; that is indeed the number 791, which is the given weight of the barrel (it matches the wt. recorded on the Registry).
The large threaded vent hole was meant to accept an insert called a bouche, which was usually made of copper, and was easily replaced when 'burned out'.

I wasn't able to get in contact with the pres. of Kappa Alpha Fri., so I'll try again on Monday.

Offline OoooOOoo1010010

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2011, 10:42:24 AM »

Offline OoooOOoo1010010

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2011, 03:05:53 PM »

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2011, 04:39:02 AM »
I've tried to talk to the president of the Kappa Alpha Fraternity a number of times now, and keep getting a recording. I hate having to impose upon the guy by asking for a long distance return call, but if I don't get him in person tonight, I'll leave a message.

Offline OoooOOoo1010010

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2011, 09:15:06 AM »