Author Topic: .357 Load for Deer  (Read 1084 times)

Offline wvmedic

• Trade Count: (0)
.357 Load for Deer
« on: September 20, 2011, 06:13:49 PM »
I have a Rossi 92 20" barrel.

I went to the range the other day with three different loads, I was using H110 with CCI 550 primers.

Hornady HP XTP 158gr.

13.2gr
14.7gr
15.2gr

I got the best 50yd groups with the 13.2gr, Hornady data lists this load at 1500 fps from a 16" Rossi 92 using Winchester primers.

I am going to load some 180gr HP XTP's to see how well they do, hopefully this weekend. But will the 158gr @ 1500 FPS work for Deer? If so what range, 100 yards or less?

Jeff

Offline schoolmaster

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
Re: .357 Load for Deer
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:19:15 PM »
My grandson has killed two deer with his 357 handi rifle. The load is 17.5 grains of Lil-Gun, 158 remington SOFT POINT, and CCI mag primer. I was told that the hollow points may not give good enough penetration if shoulder bones were hit. Both of Andrew's deer dropped within 20 yards, the farthest shot was 58 yards. Both were boiler room shots. I would estimate the velocity at around 17-1800 f/s. With a hollow point bullet at 1500 I would probably limit the range to 50 yards and stay off the shoulder bones.

Offline wvmedic

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »
schoolmaster, thanks for the reply. I never ever shoot for the shoulder, whether it be with a bow or 30.06. Always in the boiler, I have never lost a deer with this method.

I have read good things about the XTP, though I have no experience with there performance in the .357. I did load some in my .45, I dug a few out of the ground after shooting them thru a paper target. They were about a foot deep from about 10 yds, had good mushroom effect and no jacket separation. Also just to mention the whys as to me using the Hornady XTP's, that is the heaviest bullet available locally. I have looked at local gun shops, Wal-Mart and Gander Mountain, and Hornady are the best I can find.

Jeff

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 09:48:56 PM »
 If you dont get many replies, do a search over on H&R handi rifle forum. There are loads of guys using .357 mag and maximum.  ;)  I do agree with schoolmaster. Treat it like a handgun when choosing your ranges.

Lonny

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:14:24 AM »
If you do your part the .357 will be fine for deer, provided you stay within it's limts of 100 yards or so.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline wvmedic

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 01:09:43 PM »
Lonny, thanks. I will check out the H&R forum.

GH1, thank you for you're reply. Are you saying that load will do the trick as long as the shooter dose there job and keeps there shot under 100 yds?

Thanks to everyone who has replied, I am new to reloading. I quit hunting for a few years and am getting back into it again, my wife is going with me and hopefully I can get her into deer. It will be her first harvest if so, she will be the primary shooter. I will use the .357 as well this year though. I got the .357 for a few different reasons, one is I knew she would be hunting with me and she can handle the .357 and shoot it well. Second I was already loading for handgun and didn't want to mess with bottle neck cases, the other is that I wanted to get away from the heaver recoiling rounds. I have hunted with a 30.06 for many years and while I can handle the recoil, it just isn't pleasant to take to the range and just shoot. The .357 on the other hand is a joy to take to the range and shoot all day, between .38's and .357's we have already put a few hundred rounds down range.

Though with that being said and especially if she enjoys the hunt this year. We will have two new riffles next year, just not sure what caliber yet. Thinking either 30-30 or .243, our son uses a .243 and it dose a good job on deer.

Jeff

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »
The Hornady 158gr FP* XTP or the 180gr XTP would be a better choice for your rifle.
 I have used the 158gr HP XTP pushed at about 1700fps out of my 10" 357 max contender. It acted like a Varmint bullet. The hit was on a nice sized doe Right behind the shoulder.  there was nothing left of the lungs heart, She dropped right there. The Bullet did not exit and broke up.  It did hit a rib on the way in.  Not sure if this was the cause.   The bullet did its job but not sure I liked the way it broke up. 
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 05:52:21 PM »
In Nebraska, the .357 magnum in a handgun is legal for deer. The .357 in a rifle is not. We have minimum energy figures at specific ranges that must be met. For that matter, the same is true with the 30 carbine.

Offline wvmedic

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 12:15:29 AM »
sk330lc and anachronism, thank you.

I will keep the shots to 50 yds or under, we will setup in a funnel. That should keep us under 50yds, and I am going to load up some XTP 180's and see how they do.

Jeff

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 02:35:24 AM »
I loaded the 180xtp for my marlin 1894 and I'm getting 2" or less groups at 75yds with iron sight. My load is 13.5gr.H110,fed.sm.pistol mag.primers. I crimp on the seating process.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 10:18:33 AM »
Lonny, thanks. I will check out the H&R forum.

GH1, thank you for you're reply. Are you saying that load will do the trick as long as the shooter dose there job and keeps there shot under 100 yds?

Thanks to everyone who has replied, I am new to reloading. I quit hunting for a few years and am getting back into it again, my wife is going with me and hopefully I can get her into deer. It will be her first harvest if so, she will be the primary shooter. I will use the .357 as well this year though. I got the .357 for a few different reasons, one is I knew she would be hunting with me and she can handle the .357 and shoot it well. Second I was already loading for handgun and didn't want to mess with bottle neck cases, the other is that I wanted to get away from the heaver recoiling rounds. I have hunted with a 30.06 for many years and while I can handle the recoil, it just isn't pleasant to take to the range and just shoot. The .357 on the other hand is a joy to take to the range and shoot all day, between .38's and .357's we have already put a few hundred rounds down range.

Though with that being said and especially if she enjoys the hunt this year. We will have two new riffles next year, just not sure what caliber yet. Thinking either 30-30 or .243, our son uses a .243 and it dose a good job on deer.

Jeff

That's exactly what I'm saying. Since you plan on shooting between 30-50 yards I believe you'll be fine. I'm glad to read you're getting back into hunting, that fact that your better half wants to join you is icing on the cake. Best of luck to both of you.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline shot1

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 01:27:54 PM »
13.5 grs H-110 with 180 XTP is what I use in my 10" 357 mag Contender and it does a very good job out to 107 yards on WT deer which is as far out as I have shot a deer with it. It will punch the shoulders through with no problems. It expands and holds together very good.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 01:32:06 PM »
The Hornady 158gr SP XTP or the 180gr XTP would be a better choice for your rifle.
 I have used the 158gr HP XTP pushed at about 1700fps out of my 10" 357 max contender. It acted like a Varmint bullet. The hit was on a nice sized doe Right behind the shoulder.  there was nothing left of the lungs heart, She dropped right there. The Bullet did not exit and broke up.  It did hit a rib on the way in.  Not sure if this was the cause.   The bullet did its job but not sure I liked the way it broke up.
I AGREE!!!

Try the 158 XTP FP Bullet

I also find the 180s a bit heavy even with the extra vel from the rifle barrel... That 158 FP bullet is near perfect!! I have shot a couple with it and it acts just like your favorite bullet form say a 30-06!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline wvmedic

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 01:52:56 AM »
Well I just wanted to give an update. The Wife shot a large Doe yesterday with the .357, took out both lungs. She was using my 158 gr XTP loads, shot was at probably 30 yards. I didn't step it off, but our Son and Grandson's have venison in the freezer.

Jeff

Offline wvmedic

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 01:58:13 AM »
Had an after thought to the last post, thought I would add a picture.

Jeff

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 05:19:14 AM »
That load is very much like the original .357 mag factory loads from an 8 3/8" revolver. Doug Wesson took all sorts of big game all over the world with that. It's all about shot placement.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.