Author Topic: LOADING ROOM LAYOUTS  (Read 2683 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
LOADING ROOM LAYOUTS
« on: September 21, 2011, 01:39:50 AM »
It has been awhile now since I layed out my own reloading area/room.
Since I am going to the Dillon sometimes this winter I am in the process of relaying out my bench.
I would like to see some pictures of your benches to better help me visualize some ideas as to how would be good ideas.
I took up the hardboard cover and put a new sheet down so I have a blank canvass to work with.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: LOADING ROOM LAYOUTS
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:04:02 AM »
heres mine theres a few things changed since these pictures. Another bench with shotgun presses and a flat screen tv;)
blue lives matter

Offline HuntMeister

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 05:56:20 AM »
NICE room Lloyd!

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 07:17:22 AM »
I have a 10x18 shop and have out grown it wish it was taller so I could stack the sh!! higher ;D

I have another bench with all my casting stuff (No Picture) as it always needs cleaning off.

The thing I did with the shot gun side was tilt the bench down a bit and put a metal rail small lip on it to catch the spilled shot and it goes into several hoppers under the bench.

Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 01:12:58 PM »
Boys these photo's make my room look like a kindergarden.I will post some pics pretty soon.
It is simply a 10x12 storage shed that I took about 2/3's of and insulated it and wired it. Much smaller and mor cramped than ya'lls---but it works good.
I just need to makesure I lay it out well so not to get in a bind with two presses. I also need to pay attention to the extra storage I will need.
Fun project and all info is good info.
Flat screen and microwave---you could be MIA for days on end.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Bob J

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 02:12:37 AM »
I cast and reload 12 different calibers and have very limited space so have everything optimized for quick changeover and flexibility.....  I use a dillon 550B permanently mounted and a docking station for everything else (lubrisizer, 50 BMG press, SS press etc).....  These are some older pics but you can get a feel for the layout....

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 07:38:05 AM »
Bob J
Explain the docking stations.
Do you do everything at these stations but seat?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »
Bob J

You scare me your bench is that clean :D
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 02:23:18 PM »
Some of you really have very nice man caves, er reloading benches. I do not have all the equipment that some of you have, but what I have serves my purpose. Here are a few pictures of my loading bench :D I can spend a lot of time there and be comfortable.

as always...Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 02:53:05 PM »
Dang it all---you boys that have basements make me envious---I will post some pictures tomorrow of my "SHED".
Aint a thing in it square or level---built it with my own two hands, a homemade square and a keen eye for a level.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 10:49:34 PM »
You guys I'm in awe!!!  I can barely find  my bench under the junk.  I did clear it off enough to make a few loads the other day.  Last Sat we spent the afternoon at the range.  I'll need to really clear things off to rebuild my stock of 9mm, 41 mag.  My bench is only about 5 foot long but I've taken over a bit of pantry deep shelving for  gobs of brass, bullets, dies - its just hard to dig into the piles.  I see I need to elevate my standards for orderliness!
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »
Well, I was doing some loading today, so I took some pictures along the way.  I have no permanent spot, so I store the gear in boxes, then carry to the table & set up and then reload then put it away again.  Kind of a pain, but works for our current situation.  8)
Normal storage along wall by my desk:

Get out my richlite board (keeps from scratching table) and carry everything over:  Powders are kept in the ammo cans.

It's usually chaos once I start pulling out stuff, but I do have kind of a system...  ::)

Anyway, then once my back is killing me (started at 6:30 pm and just finished doing 4 sets of rounds at 1:12am) so 7 hours thereabouts.  Here's 3 of the ones I made this evening first (2) for the first time and .45-70's lots of times.  I also made some 32 special, but wasn't super pleased with them.  We'll see how they shoot then I'll need a new plug for my bullet seating die:

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 02:55:24 AM »
mines not in the basement its in a room i built in my pole barn. Its got 8 inch solid concrete walls. I did this because of the fire i had in my last one that cost me all my loading gear. The basement is the last place id want for a loading room. Just look around your loading room and you will see how much flamable material is in there. Not just powder and primers but spary cans, solvent ammo ect. I still find cooked off ammo in my yard and the woods around the house. A fire in a loading room will become uncontrolable in minutes. That was the reason for the solid concrete walls. At least ammo cooking off will be contained and it may give the firefighters a chance to put it out. It was like the forth of july during that fire. I had probably at least 50000 loaded rounds of ammo and by the time the firetruck got there between the fact that it was allready out of control and the ammo cooking off the firefighters had no choise but to just stand back and let it go. Another reason to put it in a seperate building is if your a caster it takes the lead problem away from your family.
Dang it all---you boys that have basements make me envious---I will post some pictures tomorrow of my "SHED".
Aint a thing in it square or level---built it with my own two hands, a homemade square and a keen eye for a level.
Blessings
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 03:44:44 AM »
NICE rooms guys!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 03:51:56 AM »
Call me an old fuddy duddy--I still keep primers and powders in a cabinet in the house because of humidty concerns.
I also do not buy and store much more powder than I anticipate needing within a month---.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline rugerfan.64

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 07:13:05 AM »
There is more stock on these shelves than the closest supplier to my house.

Offline woods

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 12:10:13 PM »
     All I can say is you guys put me to shame when it comes to reloading.  WOW!  All I have is a small corner in the basement with a bench, 3 shelves and 2 wooden lock cabinets for powder and primers. I cast my bullets at work in the vented room for welding and brazing so I keep my moulds and lead at work.

woods

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 04:52:33 PM »
     All I can say is you guys put me to shame when it comes to reloading.  WOW!  All I have is a small corner in the basement with a bench, 3 shelves and 2 wooden lock cabinets for powder and primers. I cast my bullets at work in the vented room for welding and brazing so I keep my moulds and lead at work.

woods

Woods

I think all of us started out with that small corner, in my case i'm 63 and started with my own set up when I was 16 a Lyman spartan press and a set of 300 Sav. dies and a 505 scale.

You guys have some real nice set up but for the life of me keeping your bench's that clean scares me, tell me it was just for the photo opp. ;)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 02:29:48 AM »
heck i started with a single stage press and a little table to mount it on that i kept in the closet and drug out into the living room to load. My ex wife used to throw fits because she was contantly vaccuming up spent primers and dumped powder. Thing is id trade my loading room in a second for being young again with that small setup.
blue lives matter

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »
I sometimes spend more time cleaning the bench off so that I can reload than I do reloading.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 07:34:07 PM »
loyd i thought i had a lot of stuff what a lay out also a man cave. way cool.

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 10:30:58 PM »

Hello Gentlemen:

I am so impressed with the reloading pics. I just wanted to express my admiration for all the equipment that ya'll have, and the clean and organized workspaces. I too do some reloading but not to the extent here.
  To all, very nice
  Safety first
  HM

Offline Bob J

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 02:52:50 AM »
Bob J
Explain the docking stations.
Do you do everything at these stations but seat?
Blessings

No problem.....  The docking station handles everything except what I load on the dillon.....  Basically I use if for:

The lee classic cast for sizing/depriming....  Keeps the crud out of the dillon and is much better at keeping spent primers from going everywhere....  Also used to use the lee classic for my brass trimming with a dillon 1200B rig but have since upgraded my setup to include a Giraud trimmer set up..... 

The star lube sizer for lubing/sizing my cast bullets....

The dedicated 50 bmg press.... 

A dillon super swage 600 for primer pocket crimp removal.....

I have very limited space so this arrangement really helps me get the most out of my reloading area.......

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 04:27:09 PM »
Those are good points.
I also like the Hornady for depriming and am considering keeping this the same.
Very impressive--and I am ejoying seeing the different ideas.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Cleburne

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 04:52:19 PM »
WOW! I'm speechless!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 12:15:44 PM »
Made a trip to Lowe's this morning.
I found some LED undercounter lighting strips that I think will work well for the bench tops.
Opinions.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline CherokeeT

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 06:20:33 AM »
You never have too much lighting, and elec outlets.  I had dedicated circuts run for reloading use when I had the house built.  Part of my room:

The Dillon 650 is on a separate island in the room:

My shelving is made from 2x12's.  Casting and such is done in another shop room.

Lloyd - nice to see you have recovered so well from the fire.
God Bless America
NRA Life, TSRA, SASS

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 05:02:30 AM »
Here is what I have to work with-after removing the Hornady single stage & putting down some new hard top.
Still in the planning for the Dillon 650 this winter.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 04:01:20 AM »
Nice Job William!

My recommendations would be for the installation of a Motion security light up at the gable with a couple of killer bulbs in it. Went to a friends shed after work one night as I had permission to borrow a spreader. It was quite startling to see that light come on even though I had permission to be there!

This is my own layout. Very humble in comparison to some of the others but quite functionable.

Offline Fred McIntire

• Trade Count: (31)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.FredMcIntire.Com
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 07:32:16 PM »
WoW !!   CW,  I want to be like you when I grow up, and become rich and famous !

NICE rooms guys!!!

CW