Author Topic: Fun Day at the Range  (Read 662 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Fun Day at the Range
« on: September 24, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
My oldest grandson recently bought a Kel Tec PF-9 and wanted to go to the outdoor range not far from us to try in out. Since my son and I have a 3 day Managed Muzzleloader hunt coming up next month we thought that a grand idea. My son recently bought a S&W Bodyguard .38 +P Special too for conceal carry. We figured on making sure my CVA Optima Pro and his Optima Elite are sighted in plus shoot all our handguns. I took along my two Kel Tecs too as I never go any where without them. Basicly make an afternoon of it. The range is one owned by the Conservation Dept. and set in a very beautiful spot with a creek running along one edge. We had a great time shooting, talking with other shooters, and comparing firearms. My son impressed everyone by putting a full clip into a 1 inch bullseye at 25 yards, rapid fire, with his Springfield XD .45. He's one of the best handgun shooters I've ever seen and never fails to impress me. When he took his Executive Protection course to get certified he was trained by the man who invented the SWAT Team. Jason finished so far above everyone else that the guy had a super nice custom leather holster and double mag carrier made for Jason with the API logo on it. Sorry, I just can't help being proud of him.  ;)  Anyhow, the weather was beautiful and It's been quite a while since I've had so much fun. Sharing it with my son and grandson was icing on the cake!

My son the Certified Executive Bodyguard and yes he's very protective of his old man and free no less. lol :)

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Fun Day at the Range
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 05:18:31 PM »
you should be proud! id be too!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 05:23:31 PM »
Cool.  Sounds like a great day Spirithawk.  I love getting together with family and or friends and spend an afternoon plinking and chatting.  Don't get a chance to do it nearly enough though. 

Your boy sounds like quite the marksman.  Maybe he should look into becoming a trainer himself.  The money is good and the work less dangerous.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline powderman

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »
SPIRITHAWK. Glad you had a great day. Your son is a fine looking young man. I'm greatly impressed with his shooting with the 45.
I burned up about 150 rds with my new plinkster today. My range is wherever I am shooting.  ;D  I broke several corncobs and stuck em in the ground at 75 yds or so, had a ball. It was a great day for shooting indeed. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline bigMikeA

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »
Cool.  Sounds like a great day Spirithawk.   

Yes....  Cool!  Very, very cool!   :)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 07:48:36 AM »
Cool.  Sounds like a great day Spirithawk.  I love getting together with family and or friends and spend an afternoon plinking and chatting.  Don't get a chance to do it nearly enough though. 

Your boy sounds like quite the marksman.  Maybe he should look into becoming a trainer himself.  The money is good and the work less dangerous.

Thanks. :) Yep, but he loves his work. Plus he gets $750 a day plus expenses and on top of that he manages a security firm. He's worked other jobs but found them boring I guess.

Thanks Powderman , I'm pretty proud of him. :) At a gun show a while back the Army had a shooting similater set up that they use for training. They had a civilian version program running. You stood at 15 yards and groundhogs popped up out of their holes. About 30 holes and you shot at them with a very realistic mock .45. As quick as you shot one it would drop in the hole and another pop up elsewhere at random. The soldiers were laughing while watching people try their luck.

The program had 3 levels and no one was getting past the first.  My son winked at me then asked if he could give it a try. I had to make a quick trip to the restroom and when I came back there was a crowd of people watching my son shoot. I soon saw why. He wasn't just shooting the groundhogs, he was double tapping them before they could drop in their hole firing as fast as he could pull the trigger. Every single one! he went through all three levels and never missed a shot. The soldiers running the thing were practicly speechless. One made the point of telling the others he sure wouldn't want to be the person Jason was shooting at! Jason just grinned and asked to try the M-16 with which he gave them a repeat performance. That was my first time getting to know just how good he realy is. In training he had to perform such skills under pressure and even with military grade pepper spray in his eyes. Anyone on his teem missed a shot the whole teem had to drop and do 50 pushups for every shot missed. At the end of training one of his buddies made mention that he felt like a Bad A@@. The trainer over hear him and said no, you're now a Certified Bad A@@! lol