Author Topic: Help new henry .357  (Read 5331 times)

Offline tpic402

• Trade Count: (0)
Help new henry .357
« on: September 25, 2011, 03:24:03 PM »
pick up new henry .357 brought home ran 30 rounds through it no problem feeding, went to shoot tonight 38,s wont hardly feed unless there is 3 or less in tube, tried .357 again same issue, the carrier(lifter) is getting stuck on the way up on the rim end of the next shell in the tube. the more rounds in the tube the worse it gets. Do not want to send back if possible is warranty void if action is disassembled by me(I would think not) any ideas single feeding a lever gun is a pain in my backside.    BTW I am working the lever briskly and keeping gun up right never leaving my shoulder to cycle action.  ???

Offline Harry Snippe

• A Real Regular
Re: Help new henry .357
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 04:46:19 PM »
Henry says if anything is wrong with the gun and it is the fault of the gun - they will fix it period .

Now if you took somthin' apart and mucked something , guess it is your nickle, and you might just have learned something .
I figure it might be best just cheaper now to have them look at it . They might just fix it for you for free , or save further damage .
I would just say that lifter thing will not come up after I tried 38 Spl.
Happy

Offline tpic402

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:45:14 AM »
took it aprt cleaned and lubed, works fine, very simple action, will wait to do any further work until i run alot more rounds through it ;D    thanks for reply

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:07:25 PM »
Glad to hear you got it up and running again. 

Just for what it's worth, When I buy a new gun (either NIB or new to me) the first thing that happens before any loading, shooting, or cycling the action is a field stripping and cleaning of everything I can touch.  Factory lubes and shipping or storage chemicals are removed.  Everything then gets a proper lube applied, either a high pressure lube on bearing surfaces, a graphite grease on cam and shaft surfaces, etc

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
Henry's customer service is absolutely top notch. You can even speak with the head man Anthony if you ask to. If it's not right they will make it right.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline iflyfish

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 12:28:09 PM »
I had very similar problems with mine. Jammed more with 38s but had some jams with 357 also. After several hundred very frustrating rounds I returned it to Henry (they sent me a prepaid label). When it was returned it functioned great.

After about 100 rounds it started having light strikes. It turns out the trigger bar was not striking the firing pin correctly. The bar was distorted at the tip, and the pin was mushroomed. Back to Henry.

They replaced the bar and pin. After 17 rounds the bar was distorting and the pin showed signs of mushrooming. The bar was barely hitting the pin on the tip again. Back to Henry. They said they would replace the gun.

They returned the gun “repaired”. I like the gun and would have been happy if the repairs had worked. The bar, hammer and pin were replaced and worked properly. However it will not cycle rounds. The extractor will lock onto the case and it must be pried out. If you work the lever hard enough to eject the round, the lever jams open and two rounds try to feed and jam requiring a screwdriver to remove.

On the rare occasion a round is fed and the firing pin strikes the primer hard enough to fire the round it is a fantastic shooter! I can hit a 4” paper plate 90% of the time (the other 10% is my eyes, nopt the gun). I have now been waiting for 4 days for the 4th shipping label. Henry says it will replace the gun this time (this is what I was told on the third return).

The gun will have spent more than 2 1/2 of the last 11 months waiting for transit, in transit, or in repair. The remaining time was spent in the safe or a few frustrating hours on the range. 

Please do not misunderstand and think I do not like Henry. I own two flawless 22s (h001 and GB). I have and will continue to recommend their 22s to friends and family. However, I am beginning to regret purchasing the Big Boy. Hopefully they actually replace the gun with one that functions this time.

Offline sburd

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »
iflyfish,

Any luck with your Big Boy Henry?  I've been thinking about one in 357 myself.

Offline iflyfish

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 01:38:35 PM »
Greybeard, Henry replaced the gun on its 4th trip back. This one is almost flawless. A few jams but very few and they are getting less and less common as I use it. As accurare as the last one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbeNt2L-2_8

Offline rhernandez914

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 07:31:25 PM »
I have never had any issues with my Big Boy 357 Mag with either 357 Mag or 38 special. Be certain to work the lever forcefully anytime you  have a non bottle neck handgun cartridge. The same is true for bolt actions like the new Ruger in 357 Mag or 44 mag. My Winchester 94 in 44 mag and Rossi 45 Colt are more sensitvie than my Big Boys and Marlins to this.

Offline DLButler

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 09:14:51 AM »
TPIC402 or Keith44, how far did you take it down to clean?  Was it past just removing the lever and bolt?  If so, could you explain the process, please?

Offline keith44

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 08:47:23 PM »
I've never laid bare a Henry, but typically a lever gun is disassembled by removing the screw that holds the lever in place.  (I do this with the action open) then usually the bolt just pulls out the rear.  At this point you can lower the hammer (carefully) and remove the stock, and fore arm.  Then the main spring can be removed, followed by the hammer then the trigger, or trigger group. Along with the carrier and magazine tube.

Be very careful if you have never done this type of work, since when you go to put it back together things must go back exactly in the position that they came out.  For general cleaning stick to just pulling the lever and bolt.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 05:09:04 AM »
Let's bring this one back up and see if folks might want to talk more about it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 09:32:30 PM »
I found it interesting.  I have toyed with the idea of getting one of their 357s
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 03:19:10 PM »
Never has been many of any of
the Henrys local in stock anywhere.
The ones I've seen were very nice
looking. A friend bought one of the
22 levers and I got to work it before
he ever did right out of the box, and
and it was very smooth.

Probably be a lot more of the Henrys
of every kind sold in the future since
the Ruger Marlins are so expensive.
I'm thankful I have what I have right now.
I don't see myself spending nearly
$2000.00 for a rifle to hunt with ( although
many do it annually and never blink)
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Dee

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2022, 04:53:45 PM »
I owned the brass framed on in 357. Shot great. HEAVY.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2022, 07:58:21 AM »
I have Henrys in 22LR, 22WMR and 223. They have all been great, I do keep looking at the ads for the 357s. Do you think my Marlin1894C would get jealous? I don't hunt anymore and seldom get a chance to shoot targets even... there still is the problem of simple desire.
Bill
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.