Author Topic: Moly Bullets  (Read 373 times)

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Moly Bullets
« on: September 25, 2011, 05:02:01 PM »
I picked up a box of 55gr Hornady V-Max moly by mistake.  I didn't discover the moly on the label until I got home and now I've been told not to use them as they will coat up the barrel.  Is this right?  If so I'll have to wait until I get some regular Hornady V-Max before I load.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Moly Bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 05:41:44 PM »
10 different people will probably give you 10 different opinions on moly bullets.  My only experience is with moly in a Remington 700 Varmint 22/250 - it likes the Sierra 55grn moly, shoots between 1/3 and 1/2 inch with them.  Regular jacketed bullets are almost as accurate, with just normal cleaning.  With moly, a lot, I think, depends on the condition and smoothness of the bore,

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Catfish

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 02:52:39 PM »
I would not shoot them. I have a box of 500 bullets that have been seating in the vault for years. I learned a hard leson with Molly years ago and will never shoot any of it again. One of these days I`ll trade them for some non Mollyed bullets.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 04:18:17 PM »
 I'd toss them in my vibrating cleaner for a couple hours . That SHOULD remove the moly coating ,then load them as normal. Moly isn't as bad as SOME people claim. It does allow for a faster load AFTER it has been worked up to. Accuracy results can differ with old loads though! It's one of those things that some people THINK gives them an edge!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:24:15 AM »
I experimented with moly on bullets years ago and saw no advantage and they are sure messy to work with. I have a bunch of moly coated bullets sitting unused and might or might not ever be.

Having said that I did somehow wind up with a bunch of boxes of moly coated Hornady ammo for my 22-250 and it does shoot more accurately than the same identical load without moly in my rifle.

The biggest down side is it does build up in your barrel and if you leave it there and moisture creeps in under it then you have a rusted barrel. I think that is why most stopped using it a long time ago. Once you get it in the barrel I don't think you can ever truly get it all out.

To me it's one of those things that showed no real benefit and has potential negative side effects. Had I not started shooting them in my .22-250 before realizing what they were I likely wouldn't have. But I did so now I'm kinda stuck with them in it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 06:05:55 AM »
I reckon I'll just consider the box I bought as a lesson learned and not shoot them in my rifle.  Thanks to all for the input.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 11:16:18 AM »
I ran some of mine in my Lyman 600 with Lyman Treated Walnut media to get the Moly off. It does take almost all the Moly off of the bullets, leaving just a bit of a gray tint.
Here's a picture of before and after about 2 hours in the vib. tumbler. The ones on the right are new V-Max without Moly, just for comparison.
I keep the media seperated from the good stuff,as it does leave the Moly residue on the walnut media.

Bill

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 02:14:19 PM »
Regular household Ammonia will remove the moly.  Soak them in a full strength solution and check at 30 minute intervals by rinsing just one bullet in running water until all the gray stuff is removed.  It may take 2-3 hours or longer dependind on the moly thickness.  This will leave the jackets a little dull and if that is a concern just tumble for a short while and they will look new.

The ammonia attacks brass and copper so do not leave bullets for an extended periiod of time without checking.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 03:25:13 PM »
I think just about everyone tried Moly.  I got one of those Neco kits coated my bullets  and I was Shooting BR back then and Walt  Berger was a driving force on getting moly started.  I never seen my groups improve back then everyone used alittle more powder shooting then they found out moly layers in the barrels and you used JB compund to remove it.

Myself I won't use moly bullets.