Author Topic: What caliber Handi for Alabama Deer  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Randy Morring

• Trade Count: (0)
What caliber Handi for Alabama Deer
« on: September 26, 2011, 01:25:31 PM »
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I grew up on a Topper 20 ga. and have always liked the single barrels.I've been reading and doing some searches here and need some opinions on a rifle. Here in Alabama we can have shots from 0 - 200+ yd.'s. I've been reading some of the reveiws on several different calibers, and I know some will say get more than one rifle but the budget will not allow it. I've considered a 7mm-08, but read mixed reveiws on accuracy. The standard here is 30-30,30-06,270,308,etc. But here lies the problem, my 15 yr. old step daughter will be shooting it also, that is it doesnt kick too hard. She has shot my Henry 357 mag rifle before I had to sell it and I was going to use it for a close range brush gun. So now i'm looking to replace it. Opinions please....

Randy 
------------------------------------------------------------
                              DADD
            Dads Against Daughters Dating
"Shoot the first guy and the word will spread"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: What caliber Handi for Alabama Deer
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
Hard to go wrong with the 30-30, but the 7mm-08 or .270 would work fine too, I have two 7mm-08 Handis, both shoot excellent, same for the 270, have two of them also, had four, but sold a couple to friends here. Also have had three 30-30s, still have two, one is an Ackley, all have provided excellent accuracy, the 30-30 is probably the most popular and consistently accurate bottle necked chambering H&R has ever made.....ever!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mdwest

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:47:39 PM »
.44 mag would probably be a great option for a brush gun.. low recoil.. inexpensive to feed.. and more than enough for southern white tail..

but 200 yards is stretching it out a bit more than I think most would recommend..

If youre not a fan of 7mm-08, but think she can handle the associated recoil.. I would consider a .308... 200 yards is a non issue.. there is a huge assortment inexpensive ammo available.. and the recoil difference between 7mm-08 and .308 are negligible..

all that said.. if you are limiting yourself to Alabama white tail.. a .243 in my opinion is more than enough... your deer arent any bigger than typical Tennessee white tails (where I hunt).. and a 100gr quality bullet works like a charm on them up here.. ammo is cheap.. recoil is low enough that most young kids can handle it with no problem.. and 200 yards is no issue..

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
 :o ??? ;) ;D 8) ..........you must be in north bama for them 2 hunert yrd shots !!
down deep here, a shot like that means tha critter done gotta boat ride ;D
naw, jus joke'n... i kinda like tha .308 for them kinda far and close shots.
good luck with whatever ya choose  ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:54:13 PM »
I had a 30-30 handi to hunt deer in Perry Co, Shelby Co and St Clair Co.
Most of my shots have been 70-80 yards, which can be done with open sights young eyes and a little practice.
The six 100-180 lb deer I shot were on the typical 2-3 acre greenfield in the woods; all went straight down.
I think there would be less chance of a teenager developing a flinch shooting a 30-30 than a 7-08.
Sold mine to a friend for his 10 yo son.
The 30-30 comes with open sights which offer more shooting flexibilty than the scope-only 7-08.
Also, the word around here that handi's do better with a rimmed cartridge than a rimless cartridge.

I got into reloading for the 30-30 using an inexpensive Lee classic loader ($25) so I could shoot a lot at a low per-round cost and later learned to download it for softer recoil. People will give you their 30-30 brass at a range.
Dang, now I want it back.

The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 05:13:34 PM »
I was thinking 357 until you said 200 yards.  Now I'm thinking 30-30.  Best compromise for a young shooter.  The 243 is moderate in recoil, but "LOUD", and the blast has caused more than one to flinch.  The tirty  tirty on the other hand is moderate all the way with 150 gr. bullets.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 06:03:48 PM »
 I've had bad luck with both a stainless .243 and a blued .308 as to accuracy.  I could make neither do better than three inches at 100 yards.  The jury is still out on my 30-30 but since I'll not try if for shots past 200 yards, perhaps I won't feel I need to be so critical.  This week I'll continue loading and shooting with Nosler Ballistic Tips, attempting to get enough accuracy and velocity to make clean kills at that 200 yard distance.  So far I'm OK velocity wise, with a margin to play with but accuracy is not quite what I want.  (two inches @ 100 yards) 

Offline tdoor

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 06:41:16 PM »
Don't know whatm you are doing wrong but my 243 handie shoots 100 gr slugs into less than 5/8' groups at 100 and 1" at 200

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 07:12:24 PM »
I would go with the 270 and let the youngster shoot the Remmington reduced recoil shells.
Jim
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline PowPow

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 07:18:57 PM »
consider the Hornady Leverevoltion factory ammo for the 30-30 to get out to 200.

The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 07:40:03 PM »
There's not much difference tween 7mm-08 and 30-30 recoil in the same weight rifle, specially with the Hornady LE ammo, it and the 120gr 7mm-08 are virtually the same.

Tim

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Offline Austin from NC

• Racjarrett88
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
  • Proudest Uncle Ever
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 09:58:45 PM »
Sounds like a 25-06 might fit the bill.

Austin
(choot it, choot it Elizabeth, choot it) Troy Landry

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 11:55:12 PM »
Tdoor,  I've heard of Handi's that shoot that well but have yet to see an example personally.   What did I do wrong?  Dunno, I  followed all the accurizing proceedures listed here, tried 1/2 dozen different powders, perhaps a dozen different bullets and weights, different seating depths, nothing I did made either of those rifles much good. 

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 01:01:26 AM »
If you don't handload, consider the Remington "managed-recoil" ammo for your 15-year old.  Half the recoil of standard loads.
http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/managed-recoil/managed-recoil.aspx

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 01:37:41 AM »
I will second the 25-06 or 30-30. I have a load using 130 grain hor sp in my 30-30 at around 2200 ft sec that is light and will be good tio 200 yards. my friends 8 year old shoots it with no problem and well enough to be confident out to 100. Also the 25-06 with 26 inch barreladds a little weight and the 120 grain bullets shoot great. Had a 7mm-08 and felt the recoil was to close to my 270.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 02:33:06 AM »
I'd go with the 7mm-08 for two reasons.  Moderate recoil and point blank shooting to 200 yards.  Properly sighted, a kid doesn't have to worry about bullet drop.  it'll be in the boiler room at 50 or 200.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Torwe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 04:50:12 AM »
I lived in central Alabama for many years {randolph county} Never lost a deer with my 30-30. Recoil is managable for younger hunters and ammo is inexpensive and readily avaliable.
Life is like a coin you can spend it any way you wish. But you can only spend it once.

Offline Randy Morring

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 05:39:27 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys,
After reading some of "Chuck Hawks" articles I have decided to go with a Handie in 7mm-08. Overall an excellant allround deer rifle. Less recoil than a 308 and close to the same ballistics. Actually has better "MPBR" than the 308. As for a scope I think I will use a the new Redfield 2-7x33 scope. And opinions on this scope? From all reviews i've read it is a nice scope for the money. Thanks again guys,

Randy
                              DADD

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 05:41:52 AM »
30-30, 7mm-08, or 25-06.

With the 30-30 and the Hornady ammo limit your shots to 250 yards.  Reloading with pointy bullets is the only way to go for the 30-30 Handi.  With those factory loaded flat nose bullets limit your shots to 150 yards. 

I cannot honestly say what a 7mm-08 will do since I have no experience with one, but have heard a lot of good about them. 

The 25-06 I do know about.  It far exceedes your criteria, with low recoil.  Limit shots for the 25-06 to 300 yards unless you reload.  If you reload and can work up some good loads using the 110gr Nosler Accubond, it can reach on out to 500 yards with no problem.

Recoil on all of them should not be too much for a 15 yr old girl.  The only thing to remember is the stock must fit her or it will knock her silly.  The youth stock is a must for a small person.  When Sky was small we often only took one gun.  It was one of his, since that way he could shoot.  I just made do with a stock that was too short for me.  Just had to keep my nose and the thumb around the stock apart.  Sky thought it funny when I got a bloody nose, or a fat lip, from shooting his gun. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 05:47:07 AM »
Good choice, FWIW I'm hunting deer and elk with a 7mm-08 Lite this year!!  8)

The Redfield is a nice entry level scope that works well on a Handi, I have two of them, the only problem I see with it is the clicks are a bit mushy, lots more on them in our Optics forum just down the page from the H&R section, several discussions on it, that's where you should ask about it.  ;)

Tim

http://www.opticstalk.com/inexpensive-scope-comparison_topic21176.html

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 02:35:50 PM »
Tdoor,  I've heard of Handi's that shoot that well but have yet to see an example personally.   What did I do wrong?  Dunno, I  followed all the accurizing proceedures listed here, tried 1/2 dozen different powders, perhaps a dozen different bullets and weights, different seating depths, nothing I did made either of those rifles much good.

the formula is real easy for tha .308.........
165gr nosler bt
39gr imr-4895
cci lmrp
rem brass
2420fps

ifin this don't perform, you should send it back !!!

also, other things can cause poor accuracy... don't blame tha handi til ya know its at fault.  and it appears thats tha case because of what all you
have mentioned you've tried ?? :o

good luck
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 03:47:36 PM »
30-30 will do everything you want
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 04:01:33 PM »
30-30 will do everything you want
if I were to hunt again, I'd get a 30-30 or slap a peep sight on that 20ga.
my longest shot on deer was 50yds.  I like'em up close.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Randy Morring

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 05:27:59 AM »
Isnt it funny how things can change over night? After talking with a close friend, who I will be hunting with for the first time and has hunted this area for close to 25 yrs, I have changed my gun decission. Most all areas he hunts are usually under 100 yds with some shots out to 150 yds. After making some calls to the gun stores and finding out the most chosen gun caliber and what was in stock most was, you guessed it, a 30-30. Also stopped by wally world to find the best selection of ammo was, you guessed it, a 30-30. So more reading of Chuck Hawks articles and re-reading you guys comments i'm going with, you guessed it, a 30-30....LOL...Since my step daughter will also be shooting it i'm still going with a scope so she will be more confident in her shooting. As for a scope, what do you guys think of the Vortex and Mueller scopes ? I had a Burris Fulfield II 3-9X40 on an AR-15 w/varmit bull barrel and it was a great scope. The only thing I didnt like about the scope was the power adjustment ring, as the whole eyepiece turned instead or having an adjustment ring so if I used the butler creek caps it would hit the side of the reciever when open if you tried to turned the power to max. So what do you guys think? And thanks again for all your help.

Randy 
                              DADD

Offline PowPow

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 11:50:29 AM »
I had a 3-9 on my 30-30, it was kind of big for it.
Then switched to a 1.5-4.5x32 Bushnell Banner which was plenty for what I was doing.

Offline Randy Morring

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 12:28:20 PM »
I am actually looking at one in the 2-5x32 or 2-7x32 range mainly for her to use as I could probably get away with a 4x32 for me.

Randy
                              DADD

Offline PowPow

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 12:39:25 PM »
I'm using a 2-7x33 Leupold now on a Ruger 30-06.
The Redfields weren't around when I had my handi but their 2-7x33 is popular on handis.

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 12:57:33 PM »
I've used the 30-30 in Alabama for years.  It works great.  Scope selection is a bit more iffy.  I have found that a fixed power scope on a rifle for a new shooter is the way to go.  It gives them one less thing to worry about, and mess with.  Almost always, they think more is better.  Turn the scope up to the highest power setting, then when a deer shows up, they can't find it in the scope.  Panic sets in, then they remember to turn the scope down.  By this time, the deer is usually on it's way to parts unknown.  Very few shots are missed because the scope power is too low.  A lot of my guns wear a 4X40 scope, and the variables are always set at the lowest setting.  I killed 2 does, year before last, in a clearcut in south AL.  Gun was a 30-30 Handi rifle.  Ammo was handloaded Speer 150 gr. spire points over 3031 powder, distances to the 2 was 147 and 165 yds.  Scope was a Leatherwood optics Hi-Lux 4X40.  The lower power scope won't be as much of a handicap as most folks think it is.  You can usually buy a better scope in lower power for the same money as a lesser quality variable.  She can carry a compact set of binoculars for sightseeing and spotting game. 

Offline abolt-fan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 07:43:34 PM »
Randy,
I'm going to second geezer's opinion on a fixed power scope.  I have several Nikon 4x40 scopes on my handis.  They are very bright, fit the rifles well and you can usually find them used in the hundred dollar range.  There is no handicap in using them.   If you do go with a variable for sure go low to mid power.  I know you've already made your choice on caliber but to throw my opinion out there I would've gone .308 or 30-06.  Full power loads for you and managed recoil loads for you daughter.  I've shot a bunch of Handis in these calibers and they've always shot well.  Good luck.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »
If you want something inexpensive in a scope, try the Tasco World Class series, in 2x7power.  Leave it at the 2 power setting.  It picks up deer really quick.  The World Class series scopes by Tasco is definitely a surprise at about $70.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.