Author Topic: 35 whelen question  (Read 927 times)

Offline oxfordnative

• Trade Count: (0)
35 whelen question
« on: September 26, 2011, 02:29:20 PM »
I have a 35 whelen handi that I bought last March. I was told that the ftf problem had been repaired. I have shot the gun 25 times and have not had a ftf yet but I noticed that my sku# was on the service notice. Do you think it needs to be sent in or will it be ok? Makes me mad that they are still selling the guns that are needing repairs. I dont want to miss this years season with my gun in the shop but if it needs to go then so be it. Send it in or not, that is the question?  Thanks

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
Re: 35 whelen question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »
If tour not having any problems I wouldn't send it back
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 02:57:48 PM »
Welcome! Since the production time frame for the Whelen service notice was March thru Sept 1st 2010, yours may have been made prior to that, and since you've had no failures to fire which is the prerequisite for the service, go huntin! It may also have been returned by the dealer or distributor before you bought it. What's the serial number prefix of the frame? They've made the 35 Whelen off and on since 2006, actually they were first offered as Ultras in 1996, I have an Ultra and a 2006 Handi, neither has ever had a problem.  ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline oxfordnative

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 03:05:52 PM »
The prefix of the serial# is CBA.
A friend of mine bought one last week and has had trouble the first time out on saturday. He had 2 ftf in 15 shots.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 03:09:34 PM »
Have him get it into H&R right away, they do warranty work ahead of all other work, turn around time can be in as little as a week or two depending on shipping time, see the Service Notice info in the FAQs. A lot of the service is done regionally, see their CS repair page for the service centers locations. Best service will be in Ilion tho, it's definitely consistently the fastest service.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/support/repairs.asp

Offline oxfordnative

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 02:35:49 PM »
Well, took it out today. I have shot it 60 times and had 1 ftf, actually it was 2 ftf but it was the same bullet, I tried it 2 times and it didn't shoot either time. My Friend got his back this week and the fireing pin comes out much more than mine does. His shot every time. I dont want to send mine in before season starts but I guess a ftf will need to be checked. I am not sure if 1 ftf is acceptable.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 02:51:16 PM »
Will the round that didn't work in yours work in his? If it does, yours needs to be repaired so it doesn't misfire, if it won't fire in his, more than likely it's a dud, bad primer or sized poorly, it's certainly not acceptable for hunting, that's for sure!  :-\

Tim

Offline oxfordnative

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 04:34:17 PM »
I tried to get him to try it but he did not want to try it in his gun. I guess I am going to use my gun this year and send it in after deer season. Hope I dont have anymore trouble with it.

Offline oxfordnative

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 07:07:16 PM »
Compared my whelen to my friends, his T bar is a little different shape as mine and his fireing pin comes out much farther than mine. We compared the 2 shot primers and you can't tell a difference where the pin hits them.
I sent mine off today to get the repairs done. Hope it gets back before deer season. I will let yall know of the progress of the fix.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 07:34:12 AM »
Save the ones that dont go off (to compare later) and I recommend that you dont drop the hammer a second time. You want to be able to see what all your one strike FTF primers look like.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline oxfordnative

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 03:39:36 PM »
I got my gun back today, They replaced barrel catch, striker /lifter, hammer spring and trigger. They also said the BBL was loose in the receiver/frame. I am assuming they mean barrel. They adjusted the timing refit barrel and test fired.
I hope it shoots as well as it did before I sent it off.
All in all a pretty good turn around in time but the gun should have never made it to me with the known FTF issues. It should be ready now.
Thanks, Ox.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 12:49:48 AM »
I got my gun back today, They replaced barrel catch, striker /lifter, hammer spring and trigger. They also said the BBL was loose in the receiver/frame. I am assuming they mean barrel. They adjusted the timing refit barrel and test fired.
I hope it shoots as well as it did before I sent it off.
All in all a pretty good turn around in time but the gun should have never made it to me with the known FTF issues. It should be ready now.
Thanks, Ox.

Good to hear OX,
 Now hit the range and let us know how she shoots!!  ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline oxfordnative

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 01:38:31 PM »
Got the ole Prostaff zeroed back in, the gun is completly different and it is all good. After 6 shots I was all around the bullseye at 100. A few more shots and 2 touching in the bullseye and the 3rd about a inch low. I can live with that. I went ahead and shot it about 30 times through the day, no misfire. Glad to have it back. Come on deer season. 
  BTY.. savage 30-06 is still on bullseye.
Shot my 10-22 with suppressor 100 times today at 100 yards with cci standard velocity and I am ready for the coons as well.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 12:55:04 AM »
I am glad this is fixed and your Whelen is a shooter!

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.