Author Topic: Browncoats Unite!  (Read 392 times)

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Browncoats Unite!
« on: September 26, 2011, 03:25:11 PM »
Disgusting.

'Firefly' and Anti-Fascism Posters Get Professor Threatened with Criminal Charges on University of Wisconsin Campus
September 26, 2011

MINNEAPOLIS, Sept. 26, 2011—A professor has been censored twice, reported to the "threat assessment team," and threatened with criminal charges because of satirical postings on his office door. Campus police at the University of Wisconsin–Stout (UWS) censored theater professor James Miller's poster depicting a quotation from actor Nathan Fillion's character in the television series Firefly, and the police chief threatened Miller with criminal charges for disorderly conduct. After UWS censored his second poster, which stated, "Warning: Fascism," Miller came to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) for help.

"Colleges and universities are supposed to foster brave and bold environments of freewheeling intellectual inquiry and expression. If a quote from a network science fiction show is a bridge too far, something has gone seriously wrong," FIRE President Greg Lukianoff said. "As both president of FIRE and a huge Firefly fan, I call on the chancellor of UW–Stout to rein in his overreaching administration and to restore both free speech and basic common sense."

On September 12, 2011, Professor Miller posted on his office door an image of Nathan Fillion in Firefly and a line from an episode: "You don't know me, son, so let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed." On September 16, UWS Chief of Police Lisa A. Walter emailed Miller, notifying him that she had removed the poster and that "it is unacceptable to have postings such as this that refer to killing."

Amazed that UWS could be so shockingly heavy-handed, Miller replied by email, "Respect liberty and respect my first amendment rights." Walter responded that "the poster can be interpreted as a threat by others and/or could cause those that view it to believe that you are willing/able to carry out actions similar to what is listed." Walter also threatened Miller with criminal charges: "If you choose to repost the article or something similar to it, it will be removed and you could face charges of disorderly conduct."

I bet a Che poster would have been just fine.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Mike38

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Browncoats Unite!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 07:36:26 PM »
Okay, I'll bite..... What's a Che poster?  :-[

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:52:06 PM »
Okay, I'll bite..... What's a Che poster?  :-[

Che Guevera, a murderous thug and one of Castros hatchet men.

Said things like:

“I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting.”

“In fact, if Christ himself stood in my way, I, like Nietzsche, would not hesitate to squish him like a worm”

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:17:51 PM »
For those you who don't know, "Firefly" was a science fiction TV series that didn't do well with it came out, but has developed a large cult following since it came out on DVD.  Here is the Wikipedia piece about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29

"Browncoat" was the derisive name the Alliance had for the rebels.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 02:52:56 AM »
didn't the idiot-in-chief mention wanting a brown-coat army.
since conservatives have been labled as terrorists and the enemy.
I never watched the show so I may have a skewed view.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:23:25 AM »

Bugeye, you are correct sir.

The above indicates his younger followers.

We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:35:03 AM »
The last time anyone talked about a brown shirt army...

http://www.bridgemanartondemand.com/lowres/140/main/12/568153.jpg

And Obama says he wants his own brown-shirt army.  Perhaps we can find the video clips of that statement to play for the Jewish electorate.
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 09:04:06 AM »
BrownCOAT not Brown SHIRT.  Maybe try reading a little about the show before you start equating it to some sort of insidious pro-Obama plot.  Especially since the show was first shown in 02, well before he was even a Senator. 

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell