Author Topic: I found a Huntsman .50 barrel cheap! Need advice from all you huntsman Gurus!  (Read 897 times)

Offline koger

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Avid Poster
At a local flea market, found a huntsman barrel, .50 with good bore, no rust, cleand and shiny,fiber optic sights and , I think, old style breech plug, threaded for nipple and has the cutout for the primer carrier, plastic thing in the upper rh section of the barrel in the chamber area, and the collapsible ramrod, no forend. Never fooled with these new ones, had one of the older ones made in th e70's , was a great shooting gun. Buddy of mine had it, had been sitting in a box for 2 years, havent tried it yet, but underlug looks the same length as my .44 mag handi. How hard is it to get a replacement breechplug, and a wrench to get this one out. Is $50 a good price? All you huntman guru's, where do I need to go with this, do I need a breechplug that uses .25 auto brass, primed, think I read that here somewhere, or just stay with the # ll cap? All replies and info appreciated! Sam Koger

Offline Deavis

• Trade Count: (0)
At a local flea market, found a huntsman barrel, .50 with good bore, no rust, cleand and shiny,fiber optic sights and , I think, old style breech plug, threaded for nipple and has the cutout for the primer carrier, plastic thing in the upper rh section of the barrel in the chamber area, and the collapsible ramrod, no forend. Never fooled with these new ones, had one of the older ones made in th e70's , was a great shooting gun. Buddy of mine had it, had been sitting in a box for 2 years, havent tried it yet, but underlug looks the same length as my .44 mag handi. How hard is it to get a replacement breechplug, and a wrench to get this one out. Is $50 a good price? All you huntman guru's, where do I need to go with this, do I need a breechplug that uses .25 auto brass, primed, think I read that here somewhere, or just stay with the # ll cap? All replies and info appreciated! Sam Koger

Sam -

Welcome to my world (see my posts below!).

And... thanks for answering (I think) one of my questions! (they have collapsible ram-rods?!)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
I'm not a Huntsman guru, still have a lot to learn, but I can answer some of your questions. 
The breech plug wrench is available from NEF customer service, or you can get one through the classifieds.  The same can be said about the fore end, which is definitely different from the normal fore ends.

Info on the replacement breech plug your talking about is in the sticky's at:

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,124027.0.html

Your comment "or just stay with the # ll cap?", makes me wonder if you are talking about the older 70's Huntsman, since the newer Huntsman uses a 209 primer, with the primer carrier.  The newer Huntsman, that you mention in the beginning of your posts has a cutout for the primer carrier, as you stated, but your comment about "threaded for nipple" again makes me wonder which model Huntsman you have. 

For $50, you definitely got a good deal.

I'm sure PHATINJUN, bubba, or Quick will be able to give you all the info you need, just make sure you know which Huntsman model you have. 

These are definitely fun guns, hope you get yours up and running soon.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • Trade Count: (144)
If I read your post right it sounds like you got a .50 that was converted to #11 cap from the standard for a .50 209 with primer carrier?? Contact H&R for a replacement of the carrier type for 209 primer or not really knowing or seeing your plug you may be able to just get an after market 209 nipple that may screw into where your #11 nipple is. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline D Humbarger

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
My best advise is  that you sell it to my that way you have no more concerns.  Except counting the $$$$. ;D
Try to look unimportant.   Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Only Handi so far is a 375 JDJ.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
If I read your post right it sounds like you got a .50 that was converted to #11 cap from the standard for a .50 209 with primer carrier?? Contact H&R for a replacement of the carrier type for 209 primer or not really knowing or seeing your plug you may be able to just get an after market 209 nipple that may screw into where your #11 nipple is. Kurt
What size breech plug do you have? I have an extra one in 5/8".
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
I have an original 7/8 I will never use just for the asking.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline handirandy

• GOD, guts, and guns. In that order!
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
there is a complete huntsman for sale on gunbroker that has the cutout on the barrel as described here.  #11 nipple and looks like push in breech plug.  might be like what is described here and has a very clear pic of the cut out
This is the day the Lord has made.  I choose to rejoice and be glad in it.