Author Topic: Holster Junky?  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Holster Junky?
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:33:07 PM »
I'll admit I probably have more holsters than I need but I can't help buying a new one if it strikes my fancy. I like having various holsters because they do tend to fit differant circumstances. Plus, hand guns come and go so an extra holster often comes in handy. So anyone else like me and tend to like a variety of holsters?

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Holster Junky?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 04:17:30 PM »
Hi Spirit!

How are you feel'n and Happy Birthday!

I can't imagine there are many on here that don't have a holster box full of the latest and greatest!  For a while I was buying Safariland Klipspringers for everything I owned.  They don't make them anymore....I must have a dozen shoulder holsters that I wore under a jacket.  My new passion is finding the "perfect holster" for my may blackhawks!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 05:08:21 PM »
My ankle is fractured, my hip bone bruised and my shoulder a bit jacked up but all things concidered we were lucky. I'm more worried about my son's arm. He sees an orthepedic surgeon Monday to find out if the need to operate on it or just put it in a cast. Any way it goes he'll need physical therapy for several months to get full use of his arm again. I'm staying off my feet as much as possible and playing guitar to keep my mind off it. :) Thanks for asking and thanks for the birthday wish. :)

Offline LocnLod

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 12:44:46 PM »
I do have a box of holsters but I only buy one if I need a new functionality (ankle carry, etc) or if I have one that isn't working the right way.  So basically many of the holsters in the box are useless to me b/c they didn't work the way I wanted.  I don't spend money on holsters just to buy a new one.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 08:16:19 PM »
I don't use holsters much---not because I didn't buy a few in the beginning.
I just never liked them much.
I do have a couple for revolvers because I just don't like carrying a revolver, it is uncomfortable and won't stay in position without a holster.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline critter44

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 08:45:57 AM »
I thought EVERYBODY had a big ole box of holsters! (I do!)

Offline DDZ

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 02:32:28 AM »
I think William touched on the reason why many have a box of holsters, as I do. The reason I have a box of holsters is because the ones in the box, I didn't like, didn't fit right, were uncomfortable, were to bulky, etc... If you have a comfortable holster, and you like it, why would it end up in a box, and continue your search for another. 
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 04:11:42 AM »
If it ain't comfortable, the gun is lkely o be left at home. I keep several around for each carry gun, and will likely buy more. I just like em!

"Carrying a handgun is not suposed to be comfortable, it is supposed to be comforting"-Clint Smith

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 02:48:33 AM »
I know you boys hate for me to keep hollering--bear up  :-X ;) :)
I like Flat Semi's for personal carry. I have some GOOD holsters for them. They are in the box.
I really do find it more comfortable, easier to carry and less bulky if they are just stuck in my pants. I think they conceal better and are very easy to engage carrying this way.
NOW! Revolvers are a different chore and require a different tool. I never carried a revolver in my pants waist that was comfortable or stayed in place--never.
When I gave in to old age I made a change for the revolvers. Bear with me on this--I went back to old school thinking. I fot me a couple of duty belts made and some high ride scabbards.
These rigs are particularly comfortable to carry--easy to take off and put on--takes a little more care in the dressing to conceal-but conceal well, they do.
That is just about all the consideration I will give to scabbards.
Thanks for not cussing at me. ;D
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 09:53:01 AM »
William with all due respect, if it's warm enough to wear shorts, you ain't gonna conceal that rig.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 10:09:22 AM »
I thought EVERYBODY had a big ole box of holsters! (I do!)

LOL, ME TOO!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 10:16:19 AM »
Hmm, I think that rig might conceal a tad better if you wore it under the Hawaiian shirt.  ???

By the way, carrying your piece tucked in your waistband sans holster or scabbard is often referred to as "carrying Mexican". 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 02:57:15 PM »
Hmm, I think that rig might conceal a tad better if you wore it under the Hawaiian shirt.  ???

By the way, carrying your piece tucked in your waistband sans holster or scabbard is often referred to as "carrying Mexican".
Yes and carrying Mexican is a good way to become separated from your gun. Any running or grappling with an opponent is apt to have you looking for your gun. It's an ok method for around the house or property, but is sadly lacking otherwise.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 06:42:26 AM »

Yes and carrying Mexican is a good way to become separated from your gun. Any running or grappling with an opponent is apt to have you looking for your gun. It's an ok method for around the house or property, but is sadly lacking otherwise.

That would be my worry. Even with a holster I'm always concious as to how secure it is. To me that's every bit as as important as ease of draw. I carry 24/7 in all kinds of situations. Had one holster my PF-9 fell out of twice. I tossed the holster in the wastecan!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 07:06:35 AM »
Years ago I bought a few holsters, and then started makin my own. Now-a-days, I made a couple out of soft elk skin for my Glock 27 & 23. They have a clip, and I carry them inside the waist band in front of my right hip. A belly gun so to speak. Secure, and easy to get to. I do have a couple of paddle holsters for when I go huntin and want to carry the Glock 23, or my Browning Buckmark.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 03:09:26 PM »
I know you boys hate for me to keep hollering--bear up  :-X ;) :)
I like Flat Semi's for personal carry. I have some GOOD holsters for them. They are in the box.
I really do find it more comfortable, easier to carry and less bulky if they are just stuck in my pants. I think they conceal better and are very easy to engage carrying this way.
NOW! Revolvers are a different chore and require a different tool. I never carried a revolver in my pants waist that was comfortable or stayed in place--never.
When I gave in to old age I made a change for the revolvers. Bear with me on this--I went back to old school thinking. I fot me a couple of duty belts made and some high ride scabbards.
These rigs are particularly comfortable to carry--easy to take off and put on--takes a little more care in the dressing to conceal-but conceal well, they do.
That is just about all the consideration I will give to scabbards.
Thanks for not cussing at me. ;D
Blessings

Hey William,

Bear with me on this and I am not making fun of you nor am I mocking you.  Seeing you in the summer outfit with your rig made me think whats next. A picture with swimming trunks and the rig....  ;D

Doug

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 03:42:34 PM »
Years ago I bought a few holsters, and then started makin my own. Now-a-days, I made a couple out of soft elk skin for my Glock 27 & 23. They have a clip, and I carry them inside the waist band in front of my right hip. A belly gun so to speak. Secure, and easy to get to. I do have a couple of paddle holsters for when I go huntin and want to carry the Glock 23, or my Browning Buckmark.
Dee,
 Did you ever give that "MIC" holster I sent you the link to a look?

I bought the latest tinesst version and LOVE it! But if you have a belly, its not so comfortable... :o ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 11:41:16 PM »
I wear pretty wide belts and have never had a problem with shift.
Well now--that picture was on a dare from the Hen. I do wear it under the shirts like that without any concern.
Now let me say this--I don't know if I have ever been made. I am not saying that I don't care--I just live in a place where, perhaps, people are  more tolerant, perhaps, they understand and are not as concerned.
At any rate, the rigs hides good under these shirts, a loose jacket. Now I will go thru a learning curve when I get the Black Hills shoulder holster.
Why a shoulder holster? There are times when they become a better carry procedure, like in the car.
I am not a big ol bad boy--I just am old and I don't care to have my butt used as a mop. This urban climate in Houston is very conducive to folks getting out of hand in a nano.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 11:55:53 AM »
I find a crossdraw natural to me and carry my PF-9 that way in a molded leather holster. When sitting, and such as when driving, it is very easy to reach and draw. Much more so than if it were carried on my right hand side. I simply pull my shirt over it to conceal it and when driving I keep it uncovered enough for easy access.

It hides pretty well too. :)

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 05:12:21 AM »
Hi SH:

What holster did your handgun fall out of twice? Just curious on what failed for you.

Regards PAH
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 05:52:44 AM »
Hi SH:

What holster did your handgun fall out of twice? Just curious on what failed for you.

Regards PAH
Can't remember the brand but it was a universal holster.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 11:26:08 PM »
I likeee this thread.
I wore a full sized Goverment under my shirt and tucked in my pants on a day trip to Louisiana just a week or two ago and it never shifted --bit the flesh-- or pinched on a bone--10  hours and was comfortable.
I was only tempted to remove it once---there was an 8 foot gator laying on the bank of the bar ditch about 15 yards away----sure wanted to see if'n I could make the critter roll-- 8) :o :-* :P :(
I wore the shoulder rig to church and it was most comfortable and drew no attention.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ratdog

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 11:04:31 PM »
lookin real good in your shorts i woundn't even think you had a gun.do what ever works for you. i just put mine in my pocket. ;)

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 11:20:16 AM »
Hi SH:

Regards PAH
Can't remember the brand but it was a universal holster.

Was it the belt slide you wore between your pants and belt?  I have carried my PF9 that way since I bought it.  I have never had it fall out.  I can't holster without unbuckling the belt but that isn't such a big deal.  If I had to draw and then re-holster discretely I would just slip it in my pocket.

Pete

Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun