Author Topic: Refrigerator art  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Refrigerator art
« on: September 29, 2011, 06:21:46 PM »
George wanted me to post my drawings as I learn Autocad.  So hear goes.  Some detail is lost convert from  .dwg to .jpg.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Refrigerator art
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »
DD,

It looks good,  but #2 dwg is all wrong.....  There is not a productive continuous flow for cannon mfg.  You may need to adjust the layout for machining & assembly....  ;D

Sorry, I forgot the marketing part....  :) :) :) :)

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »
In my experience, it is better to convert to gif's instead of jpg's.  The jpg's will fuzz the llines while the gif's won't.  BUT, they will start dropping lines if they are resized in some other software so you need to get the drawing the right size before you export it.

I generally export as bmp's first and then convert to gif's when preparing them for web posting.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 01:46:12 AM »
COOL!

I taught AC for 13 years (before that I had a bootleg copy of version 1.2 that came on TWO 5-1/4 floppy disks).

My first assignment (20 minutes into the class) was to have the students (having been shown the LINE and CIRCLE commands) draw Bart Simpson.  One year it was to draw Bart Simpson or the President Elect.  One student immediately asked "what's the difference?".

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline projector

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 03:02:38 AM »
I use Rhino(ceros) at work.  It's set up to print to an image file and gives an option to set the quality of the image.  You can also print to a PDF file.  Have fun with it DD, it's like a video game.

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 01:50:23 PM »
Yeah, print to PDF. Then you can view and scale at will with no loss in resolution.  Can you draw cannons for extra credit? 

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »
Can't post  PDF's here and they are ugly memory hogs...they can be attached however..

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 02:02:33 PM »
Cannons really are fun when you get into 3d.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »
Besides being an anachronism and comfortable working with orthographic projections, I am too lazy to learn 3D and it takes too much spare time to generate a drawing.  I resort to a hand drawn 3D or extra views/sections if there might be confusion with a 2D.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 05:45:12 PM »
I faill to see the need for 3D in my work environment!  Ahahahahaha, work!  My work environment that's rich, I am retired!!!!!!

Offline projector

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 01:54:00 AM »
I couldn't function without 3d...but then I would much rather be retired.

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 05:11:06 PM »
More refrigerator art.

Here is a screenprint of the website I am working on. 

This is how it appears in IE

This is Mozilla-Chrome looks the same.

IE won''t read the font I got from google fonts.  There is a way to fix this, but the instructor says we aren't there yet, just be patient!

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 02:27:20 PM »
In preparation for building this website I contacted the cannon club to provide me as much material as the could on the clubs history. I told the club I may not be able to use everything they sent, but I would use what I could. My good friend Colin Hamlinton was designated to respond. Those who know Colin, know that he is a wonderful story teller. Colin sent me a long chronicle about the club, not all that I can use. Some of these stories were just to humorous to leave out. So instead leaving these snippets on the cutting room floor, just for fun I am including them here. So here are Colin's stories in his words.

How to disassemble a cannon

I attended the last shoot at a range in Westville which was very well attended. Kilpin had forgot to bring the gunpowder but I had some in the car which I had made myself so I offered that.

The method of loading at that time was for Kilpin to go along the line with a tin of powder and a scoop made from a cut down 12g cartridge and pour a scoopful of powder down each barrel in turn. The gunners would then complete the loading process and put a firework fuse into the touch hole. When the aiming process was completed each member would light his own fuse in turn.

The scoop held about 75 grains of coarse granulated powder. My powder was very fine dust and when it filled the scoop the weight came to very much more than 75 grains. At that time all the guns were quite small with a calibre of .45 and .41. When they went off wheels and barrels flew in all direction as the heavy charge proceeded to dismantle the little guns one after the other, less than half the guns completed the detail.

The Beauty Queen and the Shopping Mall

We were in big demand for opening ceremonies for shopping centres, clubs etc. The most notable one being the opening ceremony of the Workshop in Durban Which at the time was the largest shopping centre in Natal. We were to be part of a large well organised well orchestrated ceremony which included:

• 11.50 am, the arrival of Miss South Africa and the Mayor of Durban by Limousine at the shopping centre with a fanfare of trumpets and a 21 gun salute
  • 11.55 am. the release of 1000 pigeons waiting in baskets piled 8 feet high
  • 12.00 noon, the chiming of all the church bells in Durban exactly at mid day.

The publicity organiser came to watch the cannons shoot at the SAPREF range and asked if we could produce red, white and blue smoke instead of just white. One of the members was a chemist and tried all sorts to achieve this but was unsuccessful. We had only a few days left before the big event and no time to experiment. Anyway the chemist produced a chemical which when added to gunpowder would produce about twice as much smoke as normal and the publicity expert agreed to accept this.

On the big day events went as follows: We stuffed the barrels with powder, the new chemical and wads and eagerly awaited the signal for the arrival of the Mayor and Miss South Africa. I had persuaded Colonel Lovel-Green from the Natal Field Artillery to do the firing of the cannon.

At the appointed time he lit the first gun. , I still don’t know what the “magic powder” was that was going to produce so much smoke but it was “lethal”.

There was an enormous bang and the cannon hurtled backwards at near supersonic speed and unfortunately the Colonel was standing directly behind it. Only his shins stopped it from disappearing into the watching crowd behind us. It smote him a mighty blow on the right shin bone and he then proceeded to do a wonderful impersonation of a Scotsman doing a highland fling whilst hopping around on one leg. Mike had the presence of mind to grab the linstock from him and carry on lighting the rest of the guns in rapid succession.

. What we didn’t see was Miss South Africa leaping back into limousine thinking a bomb had gone off, (there had been two bombs in Durban only weeks before). She managed to land on top of the Mayor who was following her out of the car. Confusion reigned, (but I’m sure the Mayor was happy).

The guy with the 1000 pigeons pulled the handle to release all the trapdoors on the baskets so the pigeons could make a spectacular mass exit. The pigeons terrorised by the close proximity of the very loud bangs were cowering at the back of the baskets and refused to come out, eventually they had to be poked out one at a time with a stick whereupon the panic stricken birds zig-zagged all over the place crapping on all and sundry.

Because of all of the confusion nobody noticed the absence of the church bells as we left Durban an hour later all the church bells started ringing, it sounded very spectacular, I looked at my watch and it was exactly 1-o’clock, the last thing I saw was the publicity agent sitting with his head in his hands probably contemplating his future.

Tchaikovsky’s 1812 overture

Our next notable success was providing the cannon shots for Tchaikovsky’s 1812 overture performed in the Durban City Hall by the Durban Philharmonic Orchestra, (we have actually done this twice now). We had a problem firing the cannon exactly on cue so Mike came up with the idea of using the old camera flash bulbs, (the ones you use once and then throw away).

These were put into the barrels with the wires coming out of the touch holes and then connected to a key board of brass “keys” and then to a battery. When the key was pressed down it made a contact which flashed the bulb. It worked a treat, the flash was instantaneous.

The conductor was a strung out Polish guy who wanted everything his way and he insisted on having the cannon on a raised dais behind and above he orchestra. He wouldn’t listen when I told him the Musicians just below the guns would feel the muzzle blast. At the first rehearsal as the guns were fired right on cue by the member who would normally bang the drum to simulate cannon fire, 20 fiddlers disappeared below their seats and everything degenerated into a cacophony of uncoordinated sounds. The conductor nearly had a heart attack and almost beat his baton to matchwood on the rostrum screeching “NO! NO! NO! Anyway, to cut a long story short we finished up with the guns out in front away from the musicians.

I noticed during the rehearsal what appeared to be tracer bullets flashing across the hall and hitting the back wall. Examination of the barrels showed no sign of the flash bulbs or wires so I assumed the projectiles were the bulbs and told everybody to aim the guns at the large concrete pillars up and down the length of the hall just in case! The same thing happened at the actual performance and we saw all the heads turned as the delighted audience watched the tracers flashing over their heads and disintegrating on the pillars with a flash. At the end we got a standing ovation, but by that time you couldn’t see much for smoke.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 02:56:49 PM »
Using the computer acronym ROFLOL does not do these justice! I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes.....And I thought that only in America we had such fun! please relay to Colin much thanks for these stories they are a tresure. And tell him we want more! please if he has a computer invite him to join our crew we could use fellows like him.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline projector

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 07:38:12 AM »
Great stories!

Here's my latest refrigerator art.  Making a brass tube smaller and shinier on my new (to me) lathe.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 07:35:45 PM »

Comparing these two, I see a difference in how the upper cannon image is positioned.  The IE position is below the arrow with a partial overlay while the Mozilla image overlays the arrow point completely.

Which did you want?
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 06:01:45 AM »
The  Mozilla version. The problem is the font.  It is recognized by mozilla not IE.  Today I get to learn how to convert the font so ethe IE can use it.

As much as I prefer Mozilla, my audience for the website are the less computer oriented types and are more inclined to just use the browser that is default on the computer they bought.

I am going redo this to make it IE compatible first.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 09:32:09 AM »
Man, I would never had thought a font issue was the cause of that.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 10:39:14 AM »
The default font that  IE see occupies several more pixels the the fancy font that Mozilla sees. so it pushes it out.  We are going twork on it this afternoon

Offline Double D

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 05:01:53 PM »
Got IE to read the font and all is good...thumb drive is back at the trailer or I would put it up.

Used fontsquirrel.com to convert the font and then put the converted fonts in my document file.  Then in .css just pointed to the desired font.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 06:00:14 PM »
So the converted font is now part of your web site?
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 07:04:01 AM »
So the converted font is now part of your web site?

Yes it is a folder like any other document, style sheet or image.  When the html is opened with a browser the browser reads the file and looks for the font.

Here is part of it
@font-face {
    font-family: 'Terminal';
    src: url('terminaldosis-regular-webfont.eot');
    src: url('terminaldosis-regular-webfont.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'),
         url('terminaldosis-regular-webfont.woff') format('woff'),
         url('terminaldosis-regular-webfont.ttf') format('truetype'),
         url('terminaldosis-regular-webfont.svg#TerminalDosisBook') format('svg');
    font-weight: normal;
    font-style: normal;

}

#wrapper
{
width:1000px;
margin: 0 auto;

}
#banner
{
   width:100%;
   height:192px;
   background: url('../images/saflag03x2.jpg');
   border: solid black 10px;

}
#banner h1
{
   float:left;
   font-size: 24pt;
   margin-left: 200px;
   margin-top:76px;
   color:white;
   font-family: 'Terminal', sans-serif;
}
#banner img
{
   float:right;
   margin-right: -5px;
}

This is 2nd grade html but I am learning.  If I read it real slow I even understand it.   There is a lot more on this base.css sheet but this is the part for the font.

Here is the before screen-print:

and after:

You can see how the San serif font took more space than the Terminal font.   I didn't play around with spacing and position of title and image because I wanted Terminal font and it by default didn't affect the image position, leaving the image where I needed it.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »
While I am aware of css, I haven't learned much about it.  I would have no idea how to write that string.

It is my opinion that you should design your website for a specific reason and specific audience.  If you are trying to show how great a web programmer you are, then include all the bells and whistles.  If your audience is going to be more confused with complexity than impressed, use a simple design.  On the sites I have created, the info on the site is what is important, not my skill (or lack thereof) at web site design.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 06:22:24 AM »
While I am aware of css, I haven't learned much about it.  I would have no idea how to write that string.

It is my opinion that you should design your website for a specific reason and specific audience.  If you are trying to show how great a web programmer you are, then include all the bells and whistles.  If your audience is going to be more confused with complexity than impressed, use a simple design.  On the sites I have created, the info on the site is what is important, not my skill (or lack thereof) at web site design.

Exactly what the instructor said and exactly what I am  striving for.  That why so much effort went into getting the font right in IE.  Most folks who visit this website will just use the default browser the computer  came with---IE.  A good number will have Mozilla, some will have Chrome and few Opera. 

Most will not be that computer savvy. This website will be point and click.  Basic link menu on the left.  Bottom of every page will be links for  back to top, home, previous page by name, next page by name or each page in the related topic by name.  For instance the page on aiming has been broken down into 4 sub-pages.  The reader should never wonder where they are in the website or how to get out.

Since this a class to learn the html and xhtml functions to build a website.  I will have to add things like tables and java script, later for instructional purposes.  My goal there will be to keep this as simple as possible for my readers while applying the techniques being taught.  When completed, this will be put up on the College server.  I am considering buying a url and server space to launch it on the net.

Today I am going to learn how and where to put meta tags so people can find the sight.

The sight must be simple to find, simple to use and look good also. If not it defeats my whole purpose of building it. 

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 05:38:44 PM »
It would be interesting to hear what the instructor thinks is the best way to be easily found.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 05:42:49 PM »
It would be interesting to hear what the instructor thinks is the best way to be easily found.

The easily found is via search engines. The answer: Meta tags!!!

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 05:54:03 PM »
A lot of search engine programmers have learned that meta tags are less reliable indicators of site contents than the site pages themselves.  It is my understanding that the higher up on your home page a phrase is, the more likely it will be selected by the SE.  Also, how many other sites link to it is used as a criterion for selection.

As an experiment, I googled shot weight calculator and mine showed up #9.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 06:21:14 PM »
A lot of search engine programmers have learned that meta tags are less reliable indicators of site contents than the site pages themselves.  It is my understanding that the higher up on your home page a phrase is, the more likely it will be selected by the SE.  Also, how many other sites link to it is used as a criterion for selection.

As an experiment, I googled shot weight calculator and mine showed up #9.

Exactly, that is why you have select meta tags that fit the subject matter and the meta tags have to be specific- key word to each page and not generic to the whole site, as well as include phrases that people might search including common misspellings. That why when you google Cannon yo will always geta hit on Canon camera's...at least that s what they are teaching us.

In your example shoot weight calculator should be one of the terms in the meta tags.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »
Don't think I have any meta data on that page.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »
Here is an update on the drafting class.  The class I am taking is introductory. This past week we got introduced to 3D.  For my kind of work--hobby lobby in the shop to make cannons--not real useful.  But still interesting and kinda of fun.

To learn the basics they give use widgets and gizmo's to draw. Refrigerator art.  What do you have when you are done-nothing.  So I asked the instructor if I could draw something useful.....sure go for it.

Haven't learned how to capture 3d image yet.

It is a golf ball mortar made from 2.5 inch round stock.

The instructor liked it so well she said we could print it out on the 3d printer!