Author Topic: kayaking for ducks  (Read 1745 times)

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
kayaking for ducks
« on: October 01, 2011, 08:29:02 AM »
I went duck hunting today for the first time. (I've done all sorts of hunting just never did ducks) I had to bring my own boat so I brought my OT adventure xl 139 and it worked like a charm. I shot one duck at about 10 o'clock and didn't get flipped over. All in all I got two ducks. (they're on the back of the kayak)

Offline martineta

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Hunting Lodge Owner Uruguay
    • Paso del Puerto
Re: kayaking for ducks
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 12:35:13 PM »
Excellent. Thanks for the report.   I am an old man now and started my ducking jump shooting ducks on the James River in VA.  I still do it each winter when we get a hard freeze.  It puts all the ducks on the river when the ponds and swamps are frozen.  I do my jump shooting out of a canoe.
Kenneth Burnett
Paso del Puerto
Professional Hunter 34 years in Paraguay and Uruguay

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:58:11 AM »
Just picked up a peice of 12' by 4.5' peice of burlap for $10. It'll cover up all but a 8" on each end. I think I can cut a strip off from the side and sow on a looped end on each end to keep the kayak fully covered up while I'm in a blind.  I had a blast doing it and plan on doing it alot more hell I might even give up bow hunting (seasons fully overlap). Though I think next time I'm just going to find a large drag bag ( netting) to drag all the decoys along.

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 04:02:30 AM »
You can make out riggers for your Kayak that will make it a very stable platform. I made them for a scanoe. I used PVC pipe and crab trap floats. I found it on line using "Home made out riggers". They are both removable and adjustable.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 06:02:01 AM »
Used a coleman scanoe for alot of years duck hunting. Floating sloughs or just wedging it in brush or cattails worked well. Used cheap burlap and foliage for camo. Don't waterfowl anymore but sure had fun when I did. Used to hunt Skagit flats and Potholes/Moses Lake area. Canoes/kayaks are great fun for hunting in.

Offline AWS

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 05:15:40 AM »
Old post but I thought I'd add a little.

I wanted to use my kayak to get into some special places so I sewed a camo cover for it.  Traditional camo with loops to clip on grass on one side and white on the other for winter.

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 11:19:15 AM »
Thats awesome I had thought about doing something quite similar with burlap but I have been trying to figure how I could stilll be able to use the bungy attachments on the top of the kayak abd still get to the compartments hance I need them to haul mygear and such. I'm not much of a seemstress but I think I'm going to get on it to see what i can come up with this week.

Offline AWS

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 04:29:09 AM »
Over the compartment hatch you could jud add a flap that is sewn on one side and has velcro on the other three.

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 03:52:46 AM »
I like those camo covers.  Tell us a little more.  What kind of material is that and how is it fastened on the bottom. The part we can't see.  Looks like a great outfit.