Author Topic: H&R 308 misfire  (Read 669 times)

Offline diego naveira

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R 308 misfire
« on: October 01, 2011, 09:08:09 AM »
Hi buddies, Iīm new at this forum and also new in the H&R world.
I need some help from you.
Iīve just bought a brand new H&R 1871 rifle in .308 caliber here in Argentina were I live.
Iīve had some random (4 in 30) misfires with some factory loads in wich the primer was sligthly under seated. This loads are not surpluss. Had no problems with handloads in wich the primer was seated in the same level of the case base. In the misfired rounds, the primer showed the firing pin notch not so deep if compared with those that worked. Another strange thing Iīve noticed is that in some of the fired rounds the primer, after shooting showed a sort of sharpened edge in the notch the pin printed on it. The load was quite mild (45 grains of R15 and 165 grain bullets).
Had any of you experieced the same problem? Can anyone give me some advice regarding this issue ?

Thanks
Diego

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R 308 misfire
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:19:09 AM »
Welcome! Primers that aren't seated to the bottom of the primer pocket can cause misfires, first strike seats the primer, second fires it. But there are several causes of misfires covered in the FAQs and Help sticky, a weak hammer spring is at the top of the list providing you're pulling the trigger all the way to the rear each time(read the Handi Basics 101 sticky). Firing pin issues(too little travel) can be a problem which is also covered in the FAQs. As for the primer marks, Nosler lists 44gr max for their 165gr bullets, so you may well be over max already depending on what bullet and seating depth you're using, start load for RL15 is 40gr, so back off and see how it works, H&Rs aren't the best platform for shooting max loads.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline diego naveira

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 12:22:39 PM »
Thank for your answer.
None of the misfired rounds fired when insited on it. Iīve tried three or four times each. Regarding the load, I gave 74mm OAL due to too generous free bore. I couldnīt read preasure in the primers, just a strange edged notch (like a crescent) in the pin mark. Any way, Iīll reduce the load as suggested.
Regarding firing pin length or spring strength as the cause of misfires, Is it common in brand new rifles? Can I purchase those parts from Numrich or Brownells?
On pulling the trigger, I must admit that I did not think on pulling as you mentioned and is suggested in FAQs, but after your comments, I tried to do it in the "wrong way" and my finger couldnīt receive the order from my brain fast enough to release the trigger until the hammer slamed full way down and every time herd the click of the transfer bar falling down after dry firing.
Thanks again
Diego Naveira

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »
New rifles have been known to have weak hammer springs, the Wolff extra power single coil spring is the answer, but they have a $25 minimum order for international orders. Brownells carrys Wolff springs, but I only found the double coil which only works on older rifles without a transfer bar. You can always try a new factory spring from Numrich tho.

You might want to examine the end of the firing pin to make sure it isn't damaged, your more detailed description leads me to think it may have a defect that's causing the problem, Numrich has the firing pins.

Tim

http://www.gunsprings.com/International-orders

Offline diego naveira

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 06:05:32 AM »
I found the solution. the hammer nose. didnīt let the pin pass in all itīs legth to hit deep seated primers. I realized that when pressed with mi finger the transfer bar. Then filed 0.4mm the nose and could fire the previously misfired rounds !!!!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 06:12:32 AM »
That's one solution, but make sure the hammer isn't contacting the firing pin directly, not all frames/hammers are the same, I've made that same modification several times, on one of them the hammer would strike the firing pin without the transfer bar being up. Just lower the hammer without holding the trigger back, you'll be able to tell if the firing pin is being pushed forward. I removed a little of the material from the hammer where it touched the firing pin to correct it.

Tim

Offline diego naveira

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 04:30:10 PM »
Good point Tim.
I did not consider that issue when filed down the hammer nose. Fortunately I didnīt filed that much and the pin doesnīt move when the T-Bar is down. Solved this problem Iīll start looking for a good handload to make it group in less than 2 inches at 150 meters.
Thanks again.
Diego