Author Topic: 35 Remington FTF  (Read 638 times)

Offline jrabbit

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
35 Remington FTF
« on: October 01, 2011, 05:02:48 PM »
I took my new 35 Remington to the range today to sight it in.  I was shooting Hornady factory ammo.  I tried to shoot 5 cartridges, all of which failed to fire.  Two of them shot on the second try after turning the cartridge in the chamber.  I removed the hammer extension but it didn't help.  The other three did not fire after repeated tries.  All of them had primer strikes but they were not that deep.  They were also slightly off center but I don't think enough to cause the FTF.  Has anyone else experienced this with the 35 Remington.  I was aware of the Factory recall on the 35 Whelen but I haven't seen one for the 35 Remington.

Is this one of the guns covered by the factory recall?  I guess my next step will be to contact H&R Customer service and get a Return authorization. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 35 Remington FTF
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »
The 35 Rem was in the recall too, the SKUs for the affected rifles are in the service notice in the FAQs.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,216635.msg1099172152.html#msg1099172152
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jrabbit

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 03:14:40 PM »
I called H&R and they said that there were problems with the Hornady Lever Evolution ammo.  They suggested trying some other ammo first which I will do but this doesn't sound like a company accepting responsibility for their product. 

Should I have insisted on them repairing it or should I try other ammo.?   What would you do?

jw

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 06:48:27 PM »
I'd get it fixed, specially if they'll cover return shipping.  ;)

Tim

Offline jrabbit

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 07:05:36 PM »
Well I tried Remington ammo in the 35 Remington and couldn't get it to fire either.  Called Remington back and they sent a Return Authorization.  The bad news is they say it will be 4-6 weeks turnaround.  The season opens November 7th so it will be tight at best.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 04:11:00 AM »
Well I tried Remington ammo in the 35 Remington and couldn't get it to fire either.  Called Remington back and they sent a Return Authorization.  The bad news is they say it will be 4-6 weeks turnaround.  The season opens November 7Th so it will be tight at best.
Sorry to read of the problems.
 The 35 REM has been plagued with this problem for many many years and for the same reasons as the Whelen. The shoulder is too small. The thing is most 35 Rems are fired in levers, levers hold the case head against the breech with the extractor. This is usually just enough to consistently fire the cartridge. But once manufacturers load them in bolts and SS's, this "aide" is gone and FTF's occur...
Rem brass is very soft and many think this makes matters worse in this regard... Personally, since Hornady decided to take cartridge design upon them selves and ignore SAMMI specifications, I will not ever but a cartridge of loaded Hornady ammo...

Do you hand-load? 
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 05:10:41 AM »
cw
what are you saying about hornady??

i have a 35 rem  in a handi
only fired it 3 times.....no FTF but 2 very light strikes
when  i get the time........
if  i get FTF   will not sizing be an alternative when reloading??
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline jrabbit

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 05:16:11 AM »
I don't have dies for the 35 Remington, but I have the rest of the equipment.  I haven't been hand loading for about five years  but I can start back if it will help solve this problem.   In the past I have hand loaded 7x57, 257 Roberts, .243, 25-06, and 280 Rem, primarily for hunting purposes.

Since Mississippi now allows single shot rifles .35 caliber or larger I thought the 35 Remington would be a good round, that would also be good for my 8 grandsons to shoot as they get old enough.

Jack

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 05:50:26 AM »
Well I tried Remington ammo in the 35 Remington and couldn't get it to fire either.  Called Remington back and they sent a Return Authorization.  The bad news is they say it will be 4-6 weeks turnaround.  The season opens November 7th so it will be tight at best.

That's CS's standard generic time frame, I'd be surprised if it takes more that 3 weeks if they have you send it to Ilion, recent repairs and accessory barrel fitting turn arounds have been 2 weeks.  ;)

Tim

Offline jrabbit

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 02:20:08 PM »
Tim thanks for the info.  I  hope that is the case but I don't want to get my hopes up too high.

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 03:03:54 PM »

Hello jackrabbit:
  I've shooting 35rem rifles for about 35+ years always with good results, until I put a 35 bbl. on my TC, then misfires. I talked with a friend who is somewhat of an expert on reloading TC's. His advice was to neck size the ones fired in the TC for the same reason that cwlongshot said, headspace on the small shoulder. I have also used large pistol primers with good results and misfires stopped even with full length sizing. I hope this helps.
  safety first
  HM

Offline Default_Required

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 05:04:57 AM »
Another thought on it rabbit if you havent already sent the thing off, might want to have them add a barrel in a caliber you want why its there so that if the problem persists even after it gets back you will have a fall back caliber/barrel for season. That would be the story i would use on my wife ! Just a thought.  ;D

Offline jrabbit

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 05:39:30 PM »
My 35 Remington was delivered today, less than three weeks.  Brian did the work and was very helpful in following up.  I had them do a trigger job and I must say it is excellent. Kudos to H&R and especially Brian!

I will find out how it shoots tomorrow.

JW