Author Topic: USH stuck shell problem - FIXED  (Read 12327 times)

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
USH stuck shell problem - FIXED
« on: October 01, 2011, 05:48:50 PM »
Well, I was having stuck shells in the problematic USH,, Lightfeilds, Rems.
Pulled the barrel, drifted out the small rear pin and cleaned up the sides of the ejector (600 on peice glass)
Wrapped some 800 around a 20ga pad and lightley worked the rear of the chamber, then put some mild polish on the 20 ga pad and used a slow drill and buffed the chamber, re-assembeled and the shell would still not eject. pulled the ejector and spring, dropped a bb (regular daisy bb) down there and re-assembeled, would not lock up, pulled it apart, the spring was bent in the middle, guess there was no room for a bb, and the spring bottomed out.
Frustrated I grabbed a mess of low brass shot shell, they all dropped in, and dropped out of the chamber!!?
So I grabbed the slug shells, they dropped in and dropped out! (at this point the ejector was not installed)
So it's the ejector, I dropped the ejector in (no spring), and dropped a shell in, the last 1/16" has snugg, as in push hard with you thumb in it would "snapp" in there when the shell rim seats in the recess, but only when the ejector is in there.
So the recess in the ejector is "crowding" the shell rim.
I found a socket that is the same size as a 20ga shell (13mm craftsman), I ground the end of the socket so there is no bevel, but a sharp edge. I wrapped it in 600 gr paper and worked the ejector rim seat, and kept checking,, it was not till I got down to 240 gr paper that I started to make progress.
Got it to the point were 90% of the shells drop in and drop out, a few are slightly snug, but nothing like before.
All back together, and it's "chucking" shells over my shoulder.
I'll update after firing (after new striker bar is installed)

Nicholas Andraka
REO Services
Serving Maryland since 1993
http://reoservicesofmaryland.com    reo_services@verizon.net

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: USH stuck shell problem - FIXED
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 02:59:43 AM »
Glad you got it fixed. A very good job of explaining what was going on and how you fixed it. There is always somebody that will have to deal with the same problem and yes pictures are worth a thousand words. JamesIII

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 03:05:52 AM »
Congratulations Slackdaddy, great job and great excellent solving skills. It was also a thorough and well wrtitten explanation. I am sure this is going to help others in the future, it should work for rifles as well as shotguns....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 05:03:02 AM »
GOOD JOB!!

Hope the trigger goes as easilly!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 06:20:04 AM »
Good work, I made it a sticky cuz it's a common problem, usually the FAQs ejector tune works, but not always on shotguns, you've revealed the real problem and how to fix it, thanks!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain