Author Topic: Need some advise  (Read 363 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Need some advise
« on: October 02, 2011, 05:25:50 AM »
I checked one of my guns as I was reloading today and noticed a small bit of light at the top doring lock up. It is very little. This is on neck sized brass that was shot from this gun. If I put a full length sized case no light. I know I can just full length and it will be fine. Lee dies. Any advise on how to make the neck sizeing work or just keep full length sizeing. just trying to make my brass last a bit longer. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Need some advise
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 05:41:54 AM »
The brass is keeping it from fully locking up which will cause affect accuracy and may cause pop opens, if the brass won't seat flush with the chamber face, it needs to be sized more to push the shoulder back slightly.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 05:44:52 PM »
The brass may last just fine with FL resizing if the chamber is 'close' and doesnt 'blow it out' so the FL size die has to really dramatically reduce it back to spec.
Keep records on your brass use and shoot in 'lots'. When you start having case failures in a given lot you can the bunch and really know how many reloads you got from them.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 01:12:25 AM »
Back off your sizing die a full turn. Start turning down the die a 1/32 of a turn, then size a case. Check chamber fit. Keep doing this until you can close the action easily and there is no light a the top of the action. If there is a lot of head space, you may need to start with more than one turn, but in most cases that is not needed. When you find the ideal sizing length, lock down the die and test the sizing again to ensure you are sizing correctly for your action. Once you have adjusted your die this way, you will be doing no more sizing that is needed to close the action. You can use this method on any break open action gun, Rossi, and T/C included.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.