Author Topic: Odd breech loader  (Read 818 times)

Offline Mike H.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Odd breech loader
« on: October 02, 2011, 05:29:27 PM »
Y'all seen this gun on this board....

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Antiques/Enigmatic-Cannon-Model/520096416&

Might be an interesting project for one of you machinists.

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Odd breech loader
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 05:32:07 PM »
I think he posted that here before. That's Cannonmn.

Now that I think about it, it was a full size gun like that he had.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 05:41:38 PM »

I think he posted that here before. That's Cannonmn.

Now that I think about it, it was a full size gun like that he had.

No you are right that is one of cannonmn's models, he has another style of breech loader that is full size,
everynow and then he posts photo's on various boards hoping someone might have info not yet shared.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 05:55:22 PM »
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Mike H.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 01:55:58 AM »
OK, I suppose you have seen it then. I had never heard of it. But perhaps I should have....  I really like its name....

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:42:17 AM »
It is an iteresting design, but I really think with the pressures envolved I would want the two sets of trunnions cast on the barrel rather than pocket machined..... maybe someday........

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:47:40 AM »
 :D

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 01:22:22 AM »
After attempting to find this exact complete mechanism, including counterweight, in various patents etc. I've come to the conclusion that the most likely ID of the maker/inventor is Mr. Mann.  One of his patents shows a breech mechanism with screw-press closure like this model.  It also includes breechblock supports floating in journals at the end of each side of the strap connecting the breech to the trunnions.  Other details differ but Mann is the only inventor I've found who used both features in one design of the class of breechloaders we've come to describe as "strap guns."