Author Topic: In praise of the Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets  (Read 530 times)

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
In praise of the Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets
« on: October 03, 2011, 03:05:15 PM »
I started this post for those who have used Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets and would recommend them to others. If you want to bash the Barnes line, then start your own post, please.

I started using the Barnes monolithic bullets back when the X bullets were all they offered. Their performance on game was outstanding but accuracy was iffy with some rifles. All that changed with the TSX and now the newer TTSX. The groove bands really work and make the Barnes bullets some of the most accurate I shoot. I now use the TSX  line of bullets in almost all my hunting calibers.

Terminal performance on game is better than anything out there. The bullets expand at low velocity but due to their construction, will not fail at high velocity. Contrary to the uninitiated opinion some have, the Barnes TSX bullets are not too tough for thin skinned game. They excel in that domain. Case in point, I use pointed 130 grain TTSX .30 cal bullets in my 30-30 single shot at velocities much lower than the typical .30 caliber rifle they were designed for. Performance has been incredible. Several hogs and deer can attest to that.

Nothing can be taken for granted when it comes to bullet terminal performance, but with the TSX bullet you can be almost certain of three things: they are accurate, they create a good to excellent wound channel, and they almost always exit the animal you shoot.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: In praise of the Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
Looking forward to proving that in just a few weeks,
 Loaded the boy's 7-08 with 120grn TTSX and H4895 and have found wonderfull sub moa groups at 200 and the darn things clocking 3000fps, and all that from the lowly Handi Rifle.
 The gun's ready, He's ready,,Deer season is the 2nd week of Nov.
 I'll keep the board posted.

I do have to snivel a bit about copper fouling, it does happen alot sooner with the TTSX than the Nosler Ballistic tip, but it's managable if your aware of it. Easy enough to clean,, it just happens sooner.
found elsewhere

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
Re: In praise of the Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 03:33:35 PM »
I use the 120 gr. TSX and TTSX in my Remington 7ss (7mm08). Very accurate. I load it with IMR 4064 and it pushes 3000 fps out of the 20 inch barrel. I have only shot one deer with that rifle/bullet. She dropped on the spot. Not much to go on.