Author Topic: 9 mm ccw: auto or revolver?  (Read 2975 times)

Offline quasne.inc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
9 mm ccw: auto or revolver?
« on: October 03, 2011, 05:25:18 PM »
Looking at getting a 9 mm ccw.  Thinking of Keltec pf9 or taurus 905.  I know there are a lot of detractors of both of these brands. But I am a poor student and cant afford much.  So those that love or hate these options let me know and if you have something in 9 mm around the price range of the above, then please let me know. 

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: 9 mm ccw: auto or revolver?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:37:49 PM »
kel-tec  ....p-11

smith or ruger hammeless would be worth the investment
in  either  38  or 357 mag    [mine is 357]
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 04:47:20 PM »
I'm sure the Ruger and Taurus compact pistols are good pistols. Not owning either one, I'll decline comment on then other than to say that the Ruger version of the Kel Tec is almost twice the price. I own both the P-11 and the PF-9. They are both good pistols for the money, and mine have been trouble free since I bought my first P-11 in the late 90s. I have owned a PF-9 since they first came on the market, (3-5 yrs or so?) it has been more accurate than a pistol this size should be, & has digested it's share of assorted ammo includuing 300-400 of my 147gr LTCFP IDPA loads. I have yet to have a failure of any kind with it. At less than a pound loaded, and around 3/4" thick, it carries easy.
Having said that, you can never go wrong with a "J" frame for CCW. If this is your first handgun, the "J" frame might be your best choice.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 08:54:05 PM »
I have owned several handguns.  Cant seem to find one I really love.  I am always looking for a better one.

After reading a lot of reviews I would take the pf-9 over the ruger.  It seems that the ruger is a good gun just not proportionate to the higher price than the Kel-tec.

I really like revolvers so thats why I am thinking of the taurus.  I have read so many bad reviews about taurus and there customer service that I am a little leery of buying one even though I have owned a few in the past that didnt have any problems. 

I can only afford one handgun until my wife and I are done with school, but I cant seem to find one that fits all my needs.  One small enough that Ill actually carry it all the time seems too small and wimpy for a home defense gun.  One that is large enough that I feel confident about hitting what Im aiming at I never carry. 

It is kind of one of those, if you can only have one handgun things, but none seem to fit the bill.

Sorry for the long post, I am tired and my mind is wondering.  Thanks for the replies.  Please keep them coming.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 02:36:13 AM »
If it is a auto you want, look at the new line of Walther offerings.  You will probably pay a bit more for a Walther 9mm ccw package but at least they are big enough to shoot comfortably.  If you are thinking of a revolver, forget the Taurus and go with a S&W - a newer stainless +P rated in 38 Spl will do ya just fine.  jmtcw.

Offline spruce

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 02:52:23 PM »
Never owned a PF9, but if I were looking for a small, light 9mm I would give it serious consideration.
As for Taurus revolvers, I've owned 2 - one was good, one was bad. Don't plan on buying anymore in the foreseeable future.
If you're on a tight budget you might take a look at the Charter Arms line of revolvers.  I have a Mag Pug (.357) and it's a good, serviceable revolver.  Definitely not as refined as a Smith, but they work.
The CA .357 is a little too heavy (in my opinion) for all the time carry, but they make some lightweight models in .38.

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 03:44:15 AM »
I think a basic question needs to be asked: are you really asking about a 9mm revo? I like .45 ACP revos, but a 9mm to me is a waste of time. If you want an auto, 9mm is fine. If you are considering a revo, perhaps you would be better served with a .38 or .357, if for no other reason than the availability of heavier bullets. Just a thought.

I am pretty hard over against Taurus in any form. I have seen too many of their revos and autos that have major QA problems for me to ever seriously consider buying one.
Tom

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 04:00:21 AM »
I have a Jframe and tote it . I have shot several of the plastic 9's . Last weekend a friend and I run a box of ammo thru. his LC9 . I feel a revolver offers more options as to ammo use. I carry snake shot when fishing etc. The revolver takes alot more pratice to shoot well and reload fast. The plastic 9's are very accurate for their size and very shootable.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 06:06:22 AM »
Over the years (even before concealed carry was legal) I have carried an assortment of firearms, every thing from a Desert Eagle .44 automag to a Colt .25 auto.  At first I thought BIG was best, and still think big is good but often big is uncomfortable to carry and not easy to hide when wearing jeans and a T – shirt..  For many years I carried a J Frame Smith in .357, a fine gun but still a bit on the heavy side. I also tried the Sig 230 and 232, great guns but still HEAVY.  When I picked up my first PF-9 I knew it would be my primary carry gun, it is light, easy to conceal and a very reliable little piece of work.  I added a CT laser sight and carry it in a pocket holster, 99% of the people never know it’s there.  Sometimes when going to “the big city” I may pack my Sig in .357  that’s only because of the magazine capacity, its heavy when fully loaded but provides sufficient firepower if needed in some of the high crime area I might visit.

For most concealed carry I think the PF-9 is an excellent choice, as said, it’s reliable and reasonably priced therefore that’s what I would recommend for you.

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 06:32:36 AM »
My main reason for looking at 9mm is my wife already has a 9mm carbine and so I would only have to stock one type of ammo.  But I dont know if I can get myself to buy another Taurus.  Thanks Rockbilly for the experience.  It has me leaning pretty hard toward the pf-9.  But I do really love revolvers.  I have certain shotguns and rifles that I will always own, but its annoying that I cant settle on any one handgun.  I apppreciate the advice.  Gotta love the helpful people here at GBO!

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 06:54:22 AM »
If you are getting one of the lower price models ( and I'm Okay with that) be sure of the seller and how he would be handling any warranty issues that may arrise. Customers spending thousands a year likely receive better treatment than those with a $300 budget. It doesn't have to be that way though, ask ahead for an explaination of the procedures you could expect were their an issue.  Shipping guns can expensive very quickly. I have good things about Keltecs support of their products by the way.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline t-reg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 03:40:23 AM »
My Taurus M605 has been a superb performer over the past 4+ years as a CCW under many adverse conditions.   I haven't used .357 ammo in it since I first got it, too much of a good thing.  Therefore, I highly recommend the .38 Special Taurus M85, the M905 and especially the CIA variants.     

When I damaged my 605 (bent cyl rod) Taurus fixed it for free and in a timely manner.

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »
Thanks t-reg.  I have heard some bad things about taurus but wonder how much of it is hearsay.  I prefer to hear people's actual experiences.  I know some have had bad experiences, just trying to decide if the good experiences are more often than the bad.  I have heard that they are getting better.  And for some reason I really want a revolver in a auto cartridge some day.  Wish charter arms would hurry up with their carr revolvers. 

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 01:44:11 PM »
I would look into a used glock in the frame size you desire. It is not unheard of to find glock 19s at $350 used even today. A local place sells the 40 cal version(g23) for $333 with night sights that were once leo issue. They may have a little holster rash from time to time but have been gone through to ensure they function properly.
Molon labe

Offline Dee

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 02:54:21 PM »
I would consider stepping up in caliber, and consider 38 as minimum for defense.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 05:25:34 PM »
A .38 spl is at most a side step to the 9mm in power and they are practically the same caliber.  Now I have considered moving up to a .357 mag.  I am just really anal about things and want to stock only one cartridge at the moment.  But then again since I can handle something with more kick than my wife maybe I should just get over compulsions.  I dont know why I think about this stuff so much.  Its my obsession.  My wife wishes I would find a cheaper obsession. 

Offline 3030guy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 08:12:40 PM »
I would look into a used glock in the frame size you desire. It is not unheard of to find glock 19s at $350 used even today. A local place sells the 40 cal version(g23) for $333 with night sights that were once leo issue. They may have a little holster rash from time to time but have been gone through to ensure they function properly.
I second a used Glock. I've shot Taurus, Ruger, and S&W revolvers, in my opinion, the Smiths were the best handling and most accurate. They are also expensive. A used Glock 19 is common enough, good quality, and can be found for a reasonable price. Just my 2 cents!

Offline Dee

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 02:06:11 AM »
A .38 spl is at most a side step to the 9mm in power and they are practically the same caliber.  Now I have considered moving up to a .357 mag.  I am just really anal about things and want to stock only one cartridge at the moment.  But then again since I can handle something with more kick than my wife maybe I should just get over compulsions.  I dont know why I think about this stuff so much.  Its my obsession.  My wife wishes I would find a cheaper obsession.

Actually it is not a side step in power, it is actually a step up, due to bullet configuration. However, my comment was directed a "considering" moving away from "minor caliber" to "major caliber" for personal defense. While 38 special +p, and 357 magnum are expensive to "stock up on", the 40 S&W is an excellent defense round, and can be had most anywhere, including WalMart. Someone mentioned the Glock, and the Glock 23 or 27 used is an excellent buy, and one of the best of fighting pistols.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 02:22:54 AM »
Do you want a small pistol or are you seeking a shootable pistol?
I like small only for carry. I don't care to shoot small pistols--range work, if I am understood correctly. For home protection I like larger guns--frame size--we are not discussing caliber here as you are asking for specifics for a 9mm---which is not a bad choice.
A semi will carry easier and conceal better than a revolver--any size, IMO.
The kel-tec carries good reputation these days--a little small for range work from my stand in thinking--but a very good carry choice.
I woul prefer, but it is costly--a Browing HP.
Get the Kel-Tec for your purpose.
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 03:15:38 AM »
You bring up a good point William, none of the guns small enough that I will actually carry them every day are very pleasant to shoot at the range for very long and arent very accurate (in my hands) very far out.

I am starting to think that there might not be just one handgun that will do all I need it to do.  I may just have to settle on a smaller ccw for now and when we are out of school start to think about a getting a larger revolver for shooting at the range and home defense.

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 03:22:29 AM »
I know several people have mentioned the glock.  I have shot several and could never get used to the grip angle.  I never shot them very accurately.  Plus they are a little bigger than something I would carry regularly.  I am fairly new to the ccw thing and still trying to get used to it.  Hopefully after carrying for a few years with something smaller, I will be able to move up to carrying something more substantial, caliber wise and shootability wise, and be comfortable carrying it all day, everyday.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 04:34:01 AM »
Another vote for the Kel-tec pf9 or p-11 9mm Lugers.   I don't think you can find any guns in the compact concealed carry class that are any better for the money.   They are very reliable (once broken in), more compact than most 9mm carry pistols.  As comfortable/easy to shoot as any true compact 9mm pistol.  And plenty accurate enough for their intended purpose.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline jimster

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »
For some reason I have reverted back to revolvers, it happened over the last couple years.   Mostly J frame size now, sometimes a slighty bigger double action in a larger caliber, but the J frame mostly. 

Offline Dee

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 02:47:17 PM »
Me too jimster, until I started being sent to the bad part of town on my job. I came to the conclusion that 5 rounds and a couple of speed loaders weren't as comforting as they used to be. When I found the Glock 27 hid about as easily as the J-Frame Model 60, in the same type of holster I was sold. I have always like the 40 S&W, and the nine shots verses 5 are most appealing in the bad part Miami or Houston at 3 in the morning.
My affection for the S&W has not dimmed, but my mental peace of mind called for more chances than 5, so here I am.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 08:11:07 AM »
Nothing really wrong with a J - frame. There is good reason why the 9mm auto has over run the .38 revolver though.

One is great the other is even better. If for no other reason than the cost and availability of ammo I'd go 9mm. The ease of carrying a spare mag, both for extra rounds and the remote possability of a failure is a saleable feature to me. Honestly though if I went places that made me want 20 rounds at my disposal I would carry a rifle or maybe a cop. ;)

Sure, people use handguns on the street as a self defense measure every day. Let's be honest though, we carry for peace of mind. I for one do not want to be helpless in the face of an armed assailant. I make a point to not be where they frequent, my home, my travels, and my work place are chosen to avoid them.

You know what you have confidence in go get it.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline marine

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 04:33:20 AM »
  Have you tried looking for these used or are you stuck on new?  Im betting if you bought used then you might even save enough to get them both.  Having said that,  I prefer my glock 26 for a carry gun.  Easy to hide and easy to shoot well because of its size. There is also magazine interchangability between the full size and sub-compact pistols. I know you dont like the grip angle on a glock but the sub-compacts just feel better than the larger ones.  New ones can be had for around $480 and used for around $300 where i am.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 06:25:03 AM »
Don't know the 9mm has over run the J frame really since police carry them as BUG . I tried several auto's because of more bullets. But a Glock filled up is heavy . So I tried 2 J frames . 10 rounds before reload , one gun up and running while reloading , one gun snake shot while fishing , cutting grass etc. Now 2 13 oz J frames is still less than some other guns and placing in different carry locations spreads weight. Biggest thing if one breaks , jams or is lost you are still armed .

Offline jimster

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 11:03:12 AM »
Dee makes a good point if you are in danger zones, I'd have to go to high cap auto's myself if I needed to go questionable places and sometimes when I go into the city an auto with more rounds is with me.   But my lifestyle these days is staying home most all the time and just running errends to the local little places around town,  Maynard's is where I go most the time.   ;D  So a J frame IWB is good for me most times or some other revolver that is larger in an OWB in wintertime. 

The original poster mentioned a 9mm auto...can't go wrong with that, there is a lot to choose from and more shots to boot, and a colledge student will be getting around a whole lot more places than me.  9mm auto would be an excellent choice. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 11:10:29 AM »
 Would someone explain when you need this hi cap option ? OK you run into a gang. They have guns , the shooting starts what are they doing ? shooting you while you shoot a few ? Or you plan to miss alot ? Reloading , a second gun is faster for most.
If you can run do so, living is winning . Standing your ground fireing 15-20 rounds which you are lible for makes little sense.