Author Topic: 9 mm ccw: auto or revolver?  (Read 2977 times)

Offline jimster

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 9 mm ccw: auto or revolver?
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 11:56:43 AM »
Well high cap for me was always a 1911 with an extra mag, carried those a lot for a number of years.  I would have to say I guess I never carried a high cap really, they always were thick and bulky for me if we are talking 15-17 or more rounds in one gun.  If we are talking being around these bad places I'd need something besides a handgun.  To be honest, I can shoot a 1911 faster and much more accurate at all different ranges than a double action.  I'll have to do with what I have found easier to carry these days, a revolver seems better for me these days.

Anyway...if I can scoot and get away I will no matter what I have...I'll scoot out of the way fast as I can.  If I'm not there it's best for me.

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 12:47:44 PM »
Its more a piece of mind and trying to always be prepared thing.  I dont go anywhere where I expect I would need to be armed.  If I thought that I wouldnt go there.  I always carry a reload but figure if I ever needed it then I am probably screwed.  I dont expect to get more than a couple shots off if I needed to.  Mostly cause Im not gonna sit around and wait for them to shoot back. 

Marine, I havent handled the baby glocks.  I will have to give them a try. 

I am not set on a new gun, used is fine.  Im still getting the money together so it will be a little while before I have to decide.  I appreciate everyones comments.  Keep em comin.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 02:41:41 PM »
Well, here's another thought.  Convertible 9mm/357 blackhawk.  Yes it is single action, so perhaps not the best or smallest for carry, but it is carryable with a decent shoulder holster with a light jacket.  I carry my .45 LC Blackhawk in the 5.5".  The 4.625" barrelled version might be better from a carry standpoint though.  That way you can use it with 9mm, 38 special and 357.  Good mix for plinking and hunting as well as defense.  I love my .45acp/.45 lc blackhawk.  ;)

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=10308
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 02:57:38 PM »
I used to have a stainless ruger bisley 5.5 in. barrel in .45 colt/ .45acp that I loved and will regret selling til the day I die.  But it was huge and heavy and I never could get used to carrying it, even when just camping or hiking in the mountains. 

I am leaning toward getting the pf-9 for now and then getting the .357/ 9mm convertible when we are both done with school and try to get a nicer holster for it and try to get used to wearing it.  And then I will have to get a Handi in .357 to go with it.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 03:04:02 PM »
Sounds like a plan.  I love my .45 LC convert.  I'm a pretty big guy though and the size doesn't bother me.  ;)

& I have a .45 LC CLassic Handi as it's companion.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »
Thats a very nice combo you got there with the ruger and the handi.  I am tall and kinda scrawny so I have a hard time concealing anything fullsize.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »
I love the furniture on that Classic Handi.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »
Thanks, I like it.  8)

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »
I personally would pick a small 9mm auto for a CCW gun if that is what you want it for.  You may want to look at the new Ruger SR 9 Compact.  It is about as easy to carry CCW as a 2 inch J frame revolver and comes with two magazines a 12 shot and a 17 shot one.  With the long mag and grip filler it comes with it is an easy pistol to shoot all day at the range while with the shorter mag it disappears nicely in an in the pants holster.  I would like to say one thing about Taurus and their service.  I personally own 8 Taurus hand guns split between revolvers and autos and have owned a few others to boot.  Of all of these I have had issues with two of them.  I recently bought a Tracker 992 22RF/22 RFMag revolver that had an issue with the cylinder locking bolt.  I called up Taurus on Monday morning and talked to their service rep about the problem and told then that the revolver was bought the previous Saturday.  He emailed me a pre paid shipping lable and I sent the revolver back to them the same day as our discussion. On Wednesday I got an email telling me that my gun had arrived and it would be back in 1 to 2 weeks. The following Wednesday I got a phone call from fed ex saying that they would be delivering my package on thursday.  I also go an email from Taurus stating the same thing.  Thursday my pistol was back and fixed to my satisfation.  Since then I have fired a couple thousand rounds through it with no problems.  I think this is more than acceptable service.  The other pistol is a model 94 stainless steel that works fine when cool but when I shoot it fast enough to get it hot the stainless steel expands and the air gap was too tight and resulted in rubbing which made cocking hard.  I had this same trouble with two rugers made from SS as well as a SS S&W.  So I took a file and removed a couple thousandths from the rear of the barrel.  No more problem.  Considering the fact that I have rugers, colts, S&W and several European pistols in my collection and have had troubles with several that reguired factiory service including a brand new colt Python I do not consider taurus to be a bad gun for the money.

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 01:55:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply NickSS.  People tend to tell about their bad experiences with a company more than their good ones.  It is good to hear that they were that good fixing your gun.

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 06:48:01 AM »
i dont know about any of the keltecs except the p-32 which i recently purchased after i was robbed and lost all my firearms. i have fired several hundred rounds of mixed ammo from all the domestic manufacterers and it is extremely reliable and accurate it. it will shoot all 7 rounds into 3 inches at 25 yards as fast as you can get on target and squeeze off the next round.. keltec is a fine little gun for the money...

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 07:05:35 AM »
I have also had bad experience with Taurus.  I would be looking hard at Kel-Tec or Ruger.

Blessings!

Shootnstr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline Casull

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2011, 07:18:09 AM »
Not sure where you guys got the notion that the Ruger LC9 costs "almost twice as much" as a Keltech.  The PF9 and P11 seem to be in the $250 to $275 range.  I bought my LC9, with two boxes of 9mm hollowpoints, for $349.95.  For me, $75 to $100 more (with two boxes of ammo thrown in) was worth having Ruger stand behind it.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline woodchuckssuck

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2011, 07:36:16 PM »
Not sure where you guys got the notion that the Ruger LC9 costs "almost twice as much" as a Keltech.  The PF9 and P11 seem to be in the $250 to $275 range.  I bought my LC9, with two boxes of 9mm hollowpoints, for $349.95.  For me, $75 to $100 more (with two boxes of ammo thrown in) was worth having Ruger stand behind it.

Kel-tec stands behind their products far better than Ruger. I had a P-11, and the ejector broke off. E-mailed them and they had a new one to my house in less than 5 business days. Ruger would have requested the whole gun be sent to them, for a part that took me 5 minutes to replace.

Kel-Tec came up with the handguns themselves, can't really say the same for Ruger, who copied Kel-Tec and added a few features. The LCP and Kel-Tec P3AT are almost identical....

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2011, 07:07:21 PM »
Since you mentioned a .357 I would suggest a used S&W K frame. Maybe a police trade in. I was amazed at the accuracy of one that I stumbled on, but then, all of my Smiths are more accurate than I am.

Back to your original choices, Kel-Tek or Taurus, I'm one of those folks with a Taurus automatic horror story and will never buy another. I have two Kel-teks, but neither are 9mm. I have not heard anything bad about their 9mms.

Another inexpensive possibility is the Bersa. They have a good reputation and will not break the bank.

Let us know what you choose.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Greg B.

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2012, 01:46:40 PM »
I am currently looking at a 9mm CZ-75.

Greg B.

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2012, 04:21:01 PM »
I really like the CZs but even the RAMI is bigger than anything I would carry regularly.  Definantly not going to get a Taurus. But still cant decide between the Kel-tec and a used smith .357.  Keep having projects come up and my gun fund keeps going toward those.  Maybe after tax returns.

Offline BobJ

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2012, 04:43:12 AM »
People in my part of Missouri are buying Hi Points for around $100 bucks. Course you get what you pay for. Got to hand it to the Hi Point engineers, tho, they suceeded in making a 380 auto the size of a Desert Eagle.

I have a big fat cigar, a pocket full of bullets, and I am off to the range.  Bye.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2012, 08:32:01 AM »
My favorite CCW 9 was a KelTec PT11 bought in the late 90's that replaced a Glock 26 Pocket Rocket.   Have no idea about the newer KT's though.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2012, 12:27:43 AM »
I do not own either gun you mention as under your consideration but either would probably serve for carry.  I have not owned a keltech pistol but have owned a couple of their rifles and they make good products for the money.  As for Taurus, I own six of their revolvers and five auto loaders and have this to say about them.  I have never had an issue with a Taurus auto loader and I own 4 different models of them.  Second of the revolvers I own all had way too heavy of a trigger and mainspring but a wolf spring kit solved those problems with ease.  Second I have had issues with two of the revolvers one is a Stainless 94 in 22 RF.  When shooting it fast the steel would heat up and the cylinder gap would close and rub on the rear of the barrel making the DA trigger pull rather stiff.  I have had this happen on one S&W and one Ruger stainless steel revolver in the past and solved it the same way.  A couple of passes with a metal file on the back of the barrel and the problem went away and did not affect accuracy.  It only took removal of a couple thousandths of an inch.  The other problem was on a new Tracker 22 RF/22 Mag convertable.  It had an issue with the locking bolt not always locking when I first shot it.  I called Taurus customer service and they paid shipping both ways and corrected the problem in 11 days from the moment I mailed it till I got it back.  This is faster service than I ever got with any other gun I sent back to any factory for repair or adjustment.  I have nothing bad to say about Taurus handguns.  I own a M85 38 all stainless snub nose and in an in the pants holster it disappears and is easy to carry.  In fact I do not even know it is there most of the time.  It is my Summer carry gun as sweat does not bother it and it is potent enough for me.