Author Topic: USH with Nikon Prostaff: Rings?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline cvbrewer

• Trade Count: (0)
USH with Nikon Prostaff: Rings?
« on: October 05, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »
I'm mounting a 2-7x32mm Nikon Prostaff slug scope on a thumbhole USH 20 ga, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend scope rings.  I am a bit concerned about hammer clearance, though I'm willing to modify the hammer if nec.  I'm also concerned about choosing rings that will stand up to slug gun recoil.
What has worked well for others?
Thanks,
CV

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: USH with Nikon Prostaff: Rings?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 12:19:30 PM »
I have a Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 on my 20ga USH
I used the Weaver quad lock from walmart (i know), the Medium hight are the ones I used, I had to extensively bob the hammer to clear.
On my side kick I have a Bushnell 2-7x32 with the "high" quad locks, only very slightly higher. on this I had to bob the hammer and it was still a tight fit.
If I had to do it again I would use the quadlock "high" rings with the Nikon, even though these are labeld "high" they a quite low.
Here are 2 pics of the side kick with the Bushnell 2-7x36 on the Weaver quadlock "high" mounts.

Nicholas Andraka
REO Services
Serving Maryland since 1993
http://reoservicesofmaryland.com    reo_services@verizon.net

Offline cvbrewer

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 02:36:39 PM »
Thanks for the links and pics, fellas.   
Sounds/looks like the weaver high quad locks would work for me with minimal or no hammer modification. 
The high rings are durable and close enough to the barrel for sighting and accuracy? 
Looks like I may be able to use medium rings with that scope, judging from what I read in the link, but if the high rings are only slightly high, and if they provide good stability and sighting, I might just as well use those, huh?

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 05:52:39 PM »
I looked it up, the quadlock highs are .332, the med are .168, diff of .164" thats less then 3/16".
I like a LOW mount, not an issue for me to really bob the hammer, but next time I'll go with the highs.
I lowered the hammer side extension so much it was tapping the break action release.
The Weavers are $8 a set at walmart, pick up both.
I'll get some pics of the USH up in a day or so.
Slack
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 06:08:41 AM »
Make clearance by removing a little from the back edge of the release button, have done it many times.  ;)

Tim

Offline wesley396

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 10:23:31 AM »
I just got done installing a Buckmaster 3-9-40 with out any modifying at all to the hammer on my ultra slug 12ga . I used a set of leupold PRW med rings, there made of steel and should hold up to any recoil a shot gun will put out . They give you just enough clearance to were you do not have to cut on your hammer assembly .
Slackdaddy, Were did you get that cheek piece on your 20ga USH ,I like that .

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 10:29:13 AM »
I used a set of leupold PRW med rings, there made of steel and should hold up to any recoil a shot gun will put out .

Don't count on it!  :-\

Tim

Leupold PRW FAILURE!!!

Offline wesley396

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 11:41:52 AM »
It looks like the mount had come lose to me letting the cross bar to take the blunt of the recoil in those pictures . Because the sides of that style of mounts is what tighten up the mount not the bar .To me the problem some have with weaver style mounts (PRW) is they dont push the rings forward before tightening and not torqueing both bolts the same .( 22inch pound I believe .)

Offline wesley396

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 12:14:46 PM »
Also I believe over time any steel ring on a aluminum base will come lose and if we could find and use a steel base it would fix a lot of the problem's people have with ring failure .

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 01:14:14 PM »
I woudn't recommend casting doubt on CW's mounting techniques, he's prolly got more experience with firearms than any 20 or 50 of us put together!  ;D I have three sets of PRWs on heavy kickers, two are ok on the 444 and the 45-70 Ultra(ruger loads only),  but the 500S&W Handi has a lot more rounds thru it and both recoil lugs are bent, it's only a matter of time before they break just like his. Mine are always mounted with the ring pushed forward while they're  tightened, rings were still tight when they were checked. So use them if you wish, but I won't recommend them for heavy kickers any more, Burris Zee rings are a much better alternative as far as I'm concerned, and not near as expensive, plus the lows are a lot lower than the low PRWs.  ;)   

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 01:26:17 PM »
Also I believe over time any steel ring on a aluminum base will come lose and if we could find and use a steel base it would fix a lot of the problem's people have with ring failure .

Warne makes two steel bases for H&Rs, see the FAQs and Help sticky, spend some time reading there, ya never know, you might learn something!  ;)

Tim

Offline wesley396

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 04:12:31 PM »
Quickdtoo, Please do not think I was trying to degrade any ones work or start anything . I was only trying to help a person mount a scope . As far as the PRW rings,This is my first set and I hope they will hold up under a little recoil from my shotgun . I will look at the Burris and others rings .  Because it is always nice to find a good steel ring with out breaking the bank .
Thank's for directing me to the FAQS and HELP sticky . It's always nice to have that much knowledge at your finger tips .

Offline cvbrewer

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 03:35:44 AM »
I went ahead with the scope mount, well informed by excellent advice from this site.  I bought weaver high rings at Walnuts but in steel not aluminum.  The hammer extension was just touching or nearly touching the scope, but a little bit of grinding of the extension (not the hammer itself) gave me a CH of clearance.  I colored over the ground part with a sharpie hoping to slow rusting.
I have bore sighted, and now to the range.  I understand lots of folks have found that their USH's like Lightfields, Rem Core Lock, and Hornady,but also that I need to be prepared to try different brands, models, and lengths.
I really appreciate the folks that took the time to help me.  I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 10:26:35 AM »
They are not USH but I have a Handi 280 rem with nikon prostaff 3X9x40 mounted with medium weaver quad locks with no hammer modifications along woth a 45-70 manlicher and a 45-70 stainless steel ultra hunter. The 45-70's both have Nikon prostaff 2X7X32 and the hammers clear the bell and end Up under the tube. I have not had to do hammer modifications on any of my scoped Handi's
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 10:54:47 AM »
Be aware the older Nikon scopes had different power rings and ocular bells, they're really two entirely different scopes as far as hammer clearance is concerned, late models have a power ring/ocular bell like my Omega, older Prostaffs are a bit smaller with a different contour and make it easier to mount.

Tim

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 11:04:03 AM »
Be aware the older Nikon scopes had different power rings and ocular bells, they're really two entirely different scopes as far as hammer clearance is concerned, late models have a power ring/ocular bell like my Omega, older Prostaffs are a bit smaller with a different contour and make it easier to mount.

Tim

Tim thanks for that piece of info. I haven't bought one in a couple of years.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 12:15:24 PM »
Also, the prostaff 2-7x32 slug scope has ~4" eye relief, so it is setting forward a little, and the hammer ends up under the "bell"
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »
Wesley,
It's a knee pad from HomeDepot (lowes does not have this style), cut to shape and epoxy'ed on, it's made of some super soft rubber, and puts my eye perfectly in line with the scope.
That said, are your gonna, epoxy it on a $500.00 gun ?? Thats why my guns are made for function period, "2nds unfinished" stocks, painted with Krylon, barrels cut down, hammers bobbed, etc. Gotta love the H&R's

I just got done installing a Buckmaster 3-9-40 with out any modifying at all to the hammer on my ultra slug 12ga . I used a set of leupold PRW med rings, there made of steel and should hold up to any recoil a shot gun will put out . They give you just enough clearance to were you do not have to cut on your hammer assembly .
Slackdaddy, Were did you get that cheek piece on your 20ga USH ,I like that .
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services

Offline wesley396

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 07:44:16 PM »
Slackdaddy
Thank you, for the info on the cheek piece, I do like your way of thinking on guns. My way of thinking is ( If you cant use them what good are they) . I bought one of the ultra slug's in a 12ga with a laminated thumbhole stock . I would like to find a nice  piece of wood and have someone grind it to fit my stock and have it pinned and glued to my stock .