Author Topic: small cannon help  (Read 629 times)

Offline ger42

• Trade Count: (0)
small cannon help
« on: October 05, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Hi looking at trading for small naval cannon marked Omni cannon factory, blackpowder only, naval carrage, barrel about 13 inches long, 0.85 inch bore, gun is almost all Al with a steel barrel insert.   looked at it and shot a blank load, all seemed well,   which is what I would do most of the time for events and reenactments.  can you get bullet molds for it? 

if anyone has any knowledge of this gun
thanks for any help or leads

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: small cannon help
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 04:20:21 PM »
 :o

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »
If I read your post correctly the cannon in question is made out of aluminum with a steel insert or liner. If it was me I would totally discount the aluminum barrel with liner as being safe. While some aluminum alloys are very strong, neither you nor I have any knowledge of just what alloy or how the liner was plugged or capped off at the breech end. I would be very saddened to hear that you or someone you cared about was injured or worse. Please accept this in the spirit in which this advice is given. Frank

Offline DaveSB

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 04:31:50 AM »
It was probably never intended to fire a projectile. I personally wouldn't feel very comfy shooting it.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 09:07:54 AM »
I'm not making any form of declaration about these guns being safe or unsafe, because I don't personally possess the knowledge to meaningfully do so, but due to the greater cost of sleeved bronze, brass, and iron tubes, this practice of manufacturing aluminum barrels with steel liners is becoming more common.
http://www.artillerysociety.co.uk/

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline ger42

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 01:22:28 PM »
not sure I need to fire a shell but seems wrong to have a cannon and not having fired it for real??  like owing a vehicle or gun to nice or worth to much to use?  but blanks will do for most things I do... need to find out for signaling is there a shell that can be fired that would be like fireworks or a flare... that would be really neat  the guy with it said the last owner had fired some sort of projectile???  not sure what... its looks like its make like the last picture shown with steel liner (0.2") and with steel mounts coming out to mount it with.... and AL is hard... I ground a burr out of part of carriage and it was really hard.. 

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 02:41:20 PM »
 ;D

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 07:10:06 PM »
The longer the fuse, the more time to get away BUT the more burning debris that goes airborne.

And the more time for some fool to get in front of the cannon.  You really want the gun to fire immediately once you decide to fire it.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 03:34:43 AM »
 ;)