Author Topic: help confused???  (Read 994 times)

Offline notfastenough77

• Trade Count: (0)
help confused???
« on: October 05, 2011, 03:39:37 PM »
i have the sb2 .44 mag with a bsa huntsman on it it has the micro groove barrel. i was setting in the scope today and just about had when i couldnt get my group  to raise on the target i adjusted the scope  then shot still the same then i adjusted again and still the same . then i shot again and it shot way high then adjusted it down and it still shot high then i adjusted it down again then it shot way low but it is grouping tight i am think ing maybee scope rings to tight but i dont know thanks in advance for any help

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: help confused???
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 03:54:45 PM »
With good groups, you know its not the gun. I would try a different scope.

Lonny

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »
I would ventire to say it's not the Handi. I have heard similar complaints of other BSA scopes. The tip I learned about adjusting scopes- There's a spring in both adjustment turrets. The spring compresses when it is turned down/in. To keep the adjustments consistent, always go past the number of clicks and then come back to it. This helps adjust the spring to the point you want. Also, I always give it a slight tap after I placed the adjustment cap back on. This just helps to further settle it in place. Shooting it will do the same, but it seems to frustrate me more and waste my ammo.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 04:18:28 PM »
I just had this with a Traditions 3-9x40mm.  On my BC, it moved every time I shot basically.  Was only trying it since it was free, but it's in the trash now.  lol
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 04:19:29 PM »
I had a similar but not the same experience with a Simmons last weekend. It moved a little when I needed and adjusted for a lot, I moved it 16 clicks it moved an inch moved it 12 more clicks it moved another inch the next shot was over a foot low. moved it back and it came back then with two more adjustments I got on the dot and then it was on, but it was a new to me used simmons and had I done the Dinny adjustment past and back it may have settled in each time. I put money on your scope being all of the problem. Enjoy the gun once you get past this.  thejanitor

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 04:31:59 PM »
HAD A BUSHNEL  TRS-25

resently seems  like iit needed recoil to make the adjustments take
first shot after adjustment and it didn't move
second shot  and the  shot moved the apropriate amound

i have heard of this....so will slightly tap  all scopes from now on after adjusting
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline notfastenough77

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 05:07:14 AM »
foun a couple of issues when i took the scope off. my weaver base was a little loose so gonna lock tite it down. then the bolt that locks down the scope rings was stripped started looking at the bolt and where it counter sinks in to the rings it was stuck out an 1/8 and i am pretty sure its supposed to be flush but taking rings and scope back to shop to let owner take a look at them he just opened up his shop so pretty sure he will make it right

Offline notfastenough77

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 05:08:25 AM »
by the way thanks for all the responses this is a great site ;D ;D

Offline twoeighty

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 11:07:28 AM »
roger all the above---any scope that tracks accurately and consistently is worth its weight in gold----otherwise it's just weight---as in paper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've had high end scopes that didn't track and low end ones that did perfectly

sometimes it's a crap shoot---pity

hopefully the respective manufacturors will stand by their products----

good luck---280

Offline Austin from NC

• Racjarrett88
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
  • Proudest Uncle Ever
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 04:37:20 PM »
I learned a long time ago to give any scope a few good taps after adjustment. The crosshairs will stick from time to time. I haven't made an adjustment without tapping the scope in many years it just comes second nature.
(choot it, choot it Elizabeth, choot it) Troy Landry

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 03:54:59 AM »
janator had the same problem with my simmons put a new one on same problem after first adjustment. i got another scope im going to try.first problem i have had with simmons.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 06:49:49 AM »
I have had it happen with a few scopes over my years, I don't feel they are junk, they just are not scopes I would choose to take on a trip where you range an animal and whip the knop to elevate..... Once locked on they are good to go, but the slight tap mentioned above needs to be just that, a friend I was shooting with 2 years ago had the plastic adj knobs both cracked on his scope (just the part you grab with your finger once the caps are off) I bet it is from the not so gentle tap while sighting in.
Hope you all have a fun, safe hunt this fall. - thejanitor

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 12:41:43 AM »
Cheap scopes don't adjust well at the far edges of optical zero.  Start here http://www.castbullet.com/misc/zero.htm and adjust the scope's optical zero back to the factory zero setting.  You can leave the scope on the rifle and use a small hand mirror in front of the scope's objective end.  You need strong light.
When the scope is on optical zero, take the barrel off your Handi-Rifle, wedge it securely against bags, etc., and look down the bore at a far-away object and wiggle the barrel to center the object in the bore.  Then look through the scope.  I bet your crosshairs will be centered far, far away from the far away object.  If so, your optical-zero is too far from bore-zero.  That means you have a mount problem or even a hole mis-alignment problem. 
A few inches off at 100 yards is ok, but a few feet isn't.  You won't be able to zero the crosshairs with the bore without putting the adjustments in the almost-off-the-scope range.  Read the article I linked.

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 02:09:11 AM »
I learned a long time ago to give any scope a few good taps after adjustment. The crosshairs will stick from time to time. I haven't made an adjustment without tapping the scope in many years it just comes second nature.

That's the same thing I do. My dad taught me that when I was a kid and I have been doing it ever since.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 04:23:38 AM »
I will bet the guy who broke the turret while 'tapping' wasnt tapping the tube (top for elev., side for windage) to settle the internal cell. He might even be like the guy I know who always figures if a little good, a lot is better.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline notfastenough77

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 01:43:05 PM »
well guys i thought it was fixed but went to sight it in today ad after 10 shots or so the scope rings came loose from the base again these are tasco rings mounted on the base that came with the gun. when i put the rings on finger tight on base the scope moves foward and bacwards.should the bolt that runs through the scope rings fit snug in the grovess i am at a lost on this

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »
The rings should be pushed all the way forward in the slot before you tighten them, then mount the scopes. If they're the same cheesy Tasco rings I've see before with the sheet metal keeper, I'd dump em and get some good rings and save yourself the headache, the inexpensive Leupold Rifleman rings at Walmart are much better.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain