Author Topic: Good compact binocular for < $100?  (Read 535 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Good compact binocular for < $100?
« on: October 06, 2011, 01:26:07 AM »
 Looking for a reasonable compact binoc to keep in the glove box. Won't be using it much but want to have something handy for a peep at things now and then.

Had a crummy one years ago that gave me a headache if I used it for more than five minutes. Would like to get one that doesn't do that to me.

Suggestions?
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Good compact binocular for < $100?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 02:06:48 AM »
your bugets really going to limit you. Small binocs by design are a compromise and cheap ones are rarely worth owning. Id give doug at cammeraland a call and see what he suggests or what he might have on sale. Sometimes you can pick up things there for half price which would put you in a much better ballpark.
blue lives matter

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 03:07:47 AM »
My Nikon 10x25 5" Will Not hurt my eyes or cause headache. I paid $70 store price and I think that they have gone down $10 since.

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 03:51:03 AM »
I bought a set of bushnell trophy 8x27's a few years back that have given good service, theyre my hunting- motorcycle touring pair of choice when I need a compact set that packs light and works well,   theres more expensive compacts out there but these suit me fine.   they've been replaced in the bushnell lineup by the trophy xlt 8x32 but there may be a pair left in stock somewhere

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 04:19:51 AM »
my favorites are the bushnell permafocus.  no focusing wheel to fool with and good sharp images.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline 06shooter

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 07:35:08 AM »
I actually purchased a pair of compacts from Steiner at the local Cabelas.  They were just over $100, they did have another model at $99.00.  I have been pretty happy with them.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 02:06:54 AM »
Thanks for the tips.

Think I'm gonna spend a little more and get one or another in Steiner's "Predator Pro" series based on the reviews...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline releehweoj

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 01:28:26 PM »
Take a look at Leupold Yosemite in either 8x30 or 6x30 - very pleased and under $100.  Also, google for reviews on this item - you'll be suprised.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »
Don't overlook deals on eBay.  I bought my wife a set of Swarovki 10X25 that had a mechanical problem and sold for less than $100.  I sent them to their service center and they fixed them for free.  If you purchase a brand with a lifetime guarantee, you can't go  very wrong.
Camera Shop sent out an email today with deals on Steiner.  They are a sponsor on this site.  Give them a shot too.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 02:41:29 PM »
The Nikon travellites have been good to me for the price. For a glovebox they're not bad. You aren't gonna want to spend a bunch of time behind them. The eye relief could be improved for eyeglass wearers too. Mine are going on 25 yrs old now and they might be improved in that time. A buddy bought some a couple months back and he is as happy as if he had good sense.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**