Author Topic: Another gun brought up from a watery grave  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Another gun brought up from a watery grave
« on: October 06, 2011, 08:04:22 AM »
Detroit Police Department's dive team discovers, and then later recovers an historic British gun from the Detroit River (with the help of a towing company).

http://www.freep.com/article/20111006/NEWS01/110060455/200-year-old-cannon-finally-pulled-out-Detroit-River

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Another gun brought up from a watery grave
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 07:46:22 AM »
"Stone planned to put the cannon in water at Historic Ft. Wayne in Detroit on Wednesday to help protect it from rust. It will most likely be put on display at either the Dossin Great Lakes Museum on Belle Isle or the Detroit Historical Museum, he said."
You just have to love reporters........ and simple answers.... "put the cannon in water " "to help protect it from rust" oy-vey!
I guess most readers like the reporter wouldn't know if you let the gun dry out the surface would crumble into a pile of rust after being so long in the water.... by the looks of it for the time it has been submerged it is in very good condition...
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 08:09:54 AM »
I liked this part from the article:  "Boulevard & Trumbull Towing in Detroit often works with police to remove submerged items from water -- but the items are usually cars, boats or safes. "This is our first cannon," owner Gasper Fiore said."

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline OoooOOoo1010010

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 06:19:25 PM »

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 08:18:50 PM »
The photograph suffers from a lot of distortion due to the end-on view but I am guessing this was an obsolete gun that was thrown in the river for disposal when a more modern replacement arrived.  Or could be it was thrown in to keep it from being taken by an enemy attacker.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 09:57:42 PM »
I liked this part from the article:  "Boulevard & Trumbull Towing in Detroit often works with police to remove submerged items from water -- but the items are usually cars, boats or safes.

"Usually..... safes." Really? Who dumps a safe into a river?

Any ACME anvils and/or coyote skeletons down there with all them safes?  :)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 11:05:23 PM »
There is back story on this one; this is the 4th cannon they have recovered from the same site; Ruth is hoping this has nice trunnion marks.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/29394635/detail.html

Bob Smith

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 03:01:19 AM »
 ::)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 02:53:09 PM »
I liked this part from the article:  "Boulevard & Trumbull Towing in Detroit often works with police to remove submerged items from water -- but the items are usually cars, boats or safes.

"Usually..... safes." Really? Who dumps a safe into a river?

Yeggs, of course; where do you think they dump the evidence? Now, I know that you're going to have to look that one up. :P  ;)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 02:15:23 AM »
Associated Press photo.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 09:26:12 AM »
Looks more modern in that picture.  Perhaps the troops didn't want to take it with them when they left and didn't want to leave it for the Americans, so into the river.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 10:40:49 AM »
Looks more modern in that picture.  Perhaps the troops didn't want to take it with them when they left and didn't want to leave it for the Americans, so into the river.

Hah!  The jokes on them, the Americans got it!

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »
But not while we were enemies and not while it was relevant for warfare.   ;D
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »
 ???