Author Topic: A Pair Of Ruger Mini 14 Tactical's  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Bill T

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
A Pair Of Ruger Mini 14 Tactical's
« on: October 06, 2011, 12:30:56 PM »

I picked these 2 up a couple of days ago. Both are the newer Tactical Mini 14 Models, one in Stainless, and one in blue. Both are identical except for finish. The blued model has a slightly longer over all length.
I have a NRA Edition Mini 14 I got a couple years ago when they came out. It has the Hogue Overmolded stock with the gold NRA Medallion set in the pistol grip. Both of these have the standard synthetic stock. The Ruger Mini's are some of the most pure "fun guns" out there. The blued model came without scope rings and 2, 20 round magazines. The Stainless model came with rings and one 20 round magazine. I'm planning on not scoping them, and running them with iron sights. The sights supplied are adjustable, large aperture, front protected blade type.

These newer models have the thicker barrels, along with Ruger's improved method of attaching the gas block that is supposed to help eliminate tweaking and stress in the barrel itself. This caused a lot of the older models to walk all over the target as the barrel heated up from a lot of continuous rapid fire. The newer models are much more stable, and more accurate in that regard.

The guns are typical Ruger and built like a tank, and the actions cycle nice and smooth. I've handloaded a ton of .223 / 5.56 MM so I'm anxious to get them to the range next week. The weather is finally starting to break here. It was just 63 degrees this morning. It's time to get out and shoot after a long, hot Summer!

Offline Savage

Re: A Pair Of Ruger Mini 14 Tactical's
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:15:45 AM »
Yep, the minis are a hoot! I always loved the little guns as I am fond of the M1/M14 action types. Unfortunately mine are long gone having been replaced by ARs, which are  fun blasters as well. Enjoy the minis, they'll last several lifetimes!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 02:21:12 AM »
I used to accurize the minis for folks, and they took a trigger job quite well but, accuracy was not very often under an inch. If you ever scope either of these rifles I would be quite interested in the improvements made by Ruger on accuracy. I have always liked them.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 03:38:50 AM »
I bet I've owned half a dozen over the years...always sold them off toqwards something else cause of the accracy thing.  Might try another some day....
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 04:17:28 AM »
As much as I love the Mini (have had a few, don't own one now) they are a little bit of a let down.  They aren't bad, just not the great rifle they could have been.  Combining features of the Garand and the M14 with the cartridge of the M16 and the size of the M1 carbine (close to it anyway) should be a great gun.  It just never had the accuracy of the M1 or the M16/AR15.  What should have been a great gun is just a good gun.  I think that's the let down. 

I have many happy memories of my youth including Mini 14s.  They were the fun gun that was around then.  None of the adults I knew then had ARs  but many had minis.  Like I said, I don't own one right now, but I'm sure I'll get one sometime when the oportunity arises.

The price of AR and AK rifles relative to the price of the Mini 14 has put a hurt on the Mini as a recreational shooter.  You can buy an AR for about the same price or an AK for half the price.  It's easy to see why a guy coming into shooting today goes for one of them for his bang-bang purchase.

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 10:04:54 AM »
Ive got one of those mini's that doesn't impress anyone at the range, but somehow that doesn't keep it from playing hard ball with the coyotes.  Its a hoot to shoot. 

Had some relatives visiting this summer with two youngsters who wanted to "shoot guns".  Under close supervision their dad and I gave them some trigger time with several that I have.  It was the mini that they both wanted to shoot and we didn't lay it down until we ran out of ammo (both theirs and mine). 

Not one problem...oh, except for us running out of ammo ;D

Silvertp

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 10:12:58 AM »
My mini will do an inch and a quarter 3 shot group, and will keep 10 in 2 inches if I do my job. Nice guns, I have a smaller gas port bushing and a bolt buffer installed.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 01:02:47 PM »

I had both of them out yesterday. This was shot at 100 yards, (both rifles) 16 rounds each with the factory iron sights and my 59 year old eyes. 2 different handloads were used. The first was a 55 Gr. WW FMJBT over 25.0 Gr. of AA 2230-C. The second load was a 55 Gr. Lake City FMJBT over 25.7 Gr. of H-335. I fired equal amounts of each load in both rifles, 33 rounds total. I think I loaded an extra round in the Stainless Model, I can't remember.

I never touched the sight adjustment on either gun. Both were shot as they came from the box. No adjustment was necessary. Both guns functioned flawlessly with not one single FTF or FTE. The 25.7 Gr. load of H-335 was substantially hotter. Brass was ejected about 20 feet to the right, and 5 feet to the rear. The 25.0 Gr. loading of AA 2230-C was slightly less, but functioned both rifles just as well. The wind was around 7 to 15 MPH and the temp was right around 70 to 75 degrees.

All in all I'm very pleased. With a good scope and mounts, and match grade ammunition, these guns could easily be capable of much better. I had no trouble ringing 12" steel plates at 200 yards with either gun with the factory sights. All total I put around 160 rounds downrange with each rifle. All the 20 round Ruger factory magazines supplied with both rifles performed flawlessly as well. The mags are a little trickier to remove than an AR-15 magazine, but once you get the hang of it they're not bad at all. You have to get in the habit of rocking them forward, then pull them back and out. They then come out very easily. Overall it was a good day, and there were no issues with either gun. After a good cleaning and lubrication these actions are really slick. If anyone is still hung up on the inaccuracy of the Ruger Mini 14, you might want to reconsider. These guns are quite a bit more accurate than the older models.

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 04:25:01 PM »
not bad shooting with open sights at 100 yards look like keepers. ;D

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 09:27:14 PM »
not bad shooting with open sights at 100 yards look like keepers. ;D

Thanks. I'm really starting to like iron sights. You can shoot really well with them if you take the time to work with them. A lot of people totally dismiss factory iron sights in favor of a scope, Aimpoint, or EO-Tech. While there is nothing "wrong" with this, it doesn't give iron sights the fair shake they deserve.

My eyes are aging, (59 years), but if I concentrate, they perform well with iron sights. I like the small aperture, front peep sights these weapons have. They are very similar to what are on many of my M-4 style AR-15'. While the Mini 14 is not as inherently accurate as the AR, it still performs well given the opportunity.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 10:34:43 PM »
That group looks like what mine have shot with a scope off a bag.  If you scope them, let us know how they shoot.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 10:56:19 PM »
I think the group would have been a bit tighter if I shot with a white background. Black targets and backgrounds cause you to lose your sight picture. I found myself having to establish a sight picture on the white of the target, off to the side. Then "walking" the whole picture to dead center, and firing. It was the only way I could achieve proper alignment. The "Shoot-N-C" targets are nice in that they allow easy definition of .22 caliber hits. But they don't do much for allowing a proper sight picture.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 02:47:57 AM »
I have always been interested in the mini's.  Now the price has gone up so high that it's only a thought of ever buying one.  I'd rather get an old M1 Carbine from an armory for the same or less price.  Nonetheless, are they really that inaccurate?  How about the 30's?  Are they any better or worse?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 05:13:13 AM »
My Mini-14s and Mini-30 even with a scope shot all over the place.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 05:22:18 AM »
That's terrible, especially for the price they are selling at these days.  Were they new or used?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 06:33:58 AM »
That's terrible, especially for the price they are selling at these days.  Were they new or used?

One was new and one was used.

Offline leadbutt

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 01:39:52 PM »
I owned at lest of each of the models , except this new one, they where are functional and fun to shoot, great for a pick up or tractor rifle and the odd shot at yotes, great for jack's on the run , they preformed well on hogs under the 70 meter mark, and the last County department I worked for issued them as squad guns, until each Deputy could purchase the AR of their choice
"Just another day in Oz"

Offline reliquary

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 07:48:32 AM »
I've owned two of the mini-14s.  One came in on a trade about 10 years ago, well used.  It was a decent shooter and digested lots of bulk ammo over the 3-4 years that I had it.  With the Brand X scope that came with it, it would give 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards off sandbags.  Grandson accounted for one deer with it.  I traded it off for something more interesting.

About 3 years ago I got a heck of a good deal on a stainless Ranch model.  It sprays bulk 55-grainers all over the target....4-5" groups at 25 (!) yards.  With the 62-grainers, either Tulammo or Silver Bear, it will group about 4" at 100 yards with a moderately-priced scope.  I put a Red Dot on it for better visibility and my wife loves it. 

Probably (surely?) could do better with tailored loads, but I've simplified my shooting life and just buy 5.56 & X39 in bulk.

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 09:00:20 AM »
Sounds like maybe a twist rate issue?

Offline reliquary

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »
I would think that the twist rate IS the problem.  My shooting buddy has one like it and he's installed the barrel stabilizer gizmo, done all kinds of tinkering with it, and still gets about 3" groups at 100 yards with it. He also has found that the heavier slugs are more accurate. He's trying handloads now and I haven't heard any results.  Since mine is mostly to be used in case of zombies, I'm content with what it does "as is".

I like the tactical setup, by the way.  Good-looking pieces!  Forgot to say that in the OP.  Also forgot to say that the first one I had, had an M1 carbine front sight installed, FWIW.