Author Topic: Barrel switching.  (Read 428 times)

Offline evidrine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Barrel switching.
« on: October 06, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »
Ok, this may be an amature question here. I have a couple H&R/NEF shotguns that are fairly old now. I have always wondered about swapping the barrels to rifle barrels and such. Here are a few things I have always heard but never checked into. 1) You cant go from shotgun to rifle with the older guns. Only shotgun to shotgun. 2) There are two differnt models (one older, the other newer) and its only the newer ones that the barrels can be switched on. 3) The only way to switch barrels is to send it off to the factory and have them change it and the I will be able to do it myself after that. But, it must be done that way every time you get another barrel. Now, how much of all of this is true? I know very well how uninformed people like to give well informed information. Can I swap barrels? How can I tell if I can switch barrels? And of course what do I have to do to switch barrels? Please educate me fellas.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Barrel switching.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »
If you go to the centerfire rifle forum and note the stickies at the  top, all your questions will be answered.  In brief, on more modern guns, there are two receivers in use.  The SB1, typically used on a shotgun, can be fitted with pistol calibers.   The SB2 can be fitted with all available barrels.

If your  receiver is adequate, you can buy barrels from members on the NEF classifieds, and instructions are in the stickies to help you fit them.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191182.0.html

Just click the link to get started.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 12:57:39 PM »
What Ben said for home fitted barrels, but H&R won't fit any rifle barrels to any frame made before 1999, SB1 or SB2.

Tim

http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline evidrine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »
Thanks fellas. Unfortunately I dont think I will be able to modify these guys  :-\ . But thats ok because they are fine like they are. I will have to keep my eye out for a good deal on a newer one in a rifle platform.