Author Topic: The gun of Grand Rapids  (Read 364 times)

Offline IvarForkbeard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Former US Navy BB stacker
The gun of Grand Rapids
« on: October 07, 2011, 06:22:13 PM »
So after seeing the "Guns of Knoxville" string, I set out to find one here in Grand Rapids,BUT, I have a few questions about it. The urn and plaque that accompanies it says it was presented to the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans in 1933 by the "Daughters of the Grand Army of the Republic" who we all know are the veterans of the Civil War (or "War of Northern Oppression in the south)

It was cast by the Ames Mfg. Co. in Chicopee Mass, though the trunnion  says Springfield, I actualy grew up in that area and know where Ames was located.

It appears to have been cast in 1842

Now here is where the questions start. Besides the US between the trunnions

There are no other markings on the barrel. Not on the chesabel,

or the muzzle

Is there some other place I should look for an inspectors mark?
And what are the holes near the vent? Some sort of aiming system or firing device?

All in all a very well preserved piece, well respected with a nice indoor display in Mann Hall of the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans.
Former US Navy, living in West Michigan

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: The gun of Grand Rapids
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 08:12:33 AM »
Here's the information given for this M1841 bronze 6-pounder field gun on the 'National Registry'.
Foundry: Ames
Registry Number: 53 (possibly 58)
Inspector: JWR
Foundry Number: blank
Year: 1842
Weight: 884

The N. P. Ames marked on the trunnion face stands for Nathan Peabody Ames, who was the president of Ames Manufaturing Co. from 1834 to 1847.

The U.S. Army requirements for markings and placement of markings on artillery changed over the years. On this gun the weight (884 lbs.) is probably stamped under the cascabel knob on the breech face. The muzzle face on this cannon looks pretty well worn, but the Registry number might be found at 12:00, with the Inspector's initials ( James Wolfe Ripley) placed at 6:00.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline bluelake

• Avid Poster
    • 1871 US Military Action in Korea
Re: The gun of Grand Rapids
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 03:59:58 PM »
My first thoughts on the holes around the vent that they were for a percussion lock, and a similar piece on the web seems to confirm that:

https://markerhunter.wordpress.com/tag/n-p-ames/