Author Topic: cut shell slugs?  (Read 1409 times)

Offline leprecon21

• Trade Count: (0)
cut shell slugs?
« on: October 07, 2011, 08:47:31 PM »
has any one tried these through an old NEF 12ga.
im going to try it tomorrow with some federal heavy game load #4 shot
and i just wanted to know if this is a really bad idea or not.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
Re: cut shell slugs?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:21:08 PM »
If this is what I think it is-cutting around the case of a shotgun shell so the entire front of the shell-shot/wad AND CASE go down the barrel-please update your medical insurance to include mental health!  This is very very dangerous-the barrel and choke are designed to deal with wads and compressible shot charges NOT a wad of plastic shell casing.  If I am wrong about your intend-I apologise-please explain yourself better.  I am famililar with the concept of "cutting" shotgun shells that I have used in booby traps to scare off garden pests with a trip wire device using a shotgun shell. A portion of the shell is removed-leaving the powder covered with the wad base and sealed with wax(remote from flame). The "factory" load of this device sells for about $4 a shot-mine work just as well free!
If you want to shoot slugs-buy real ones!

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 01:20:27 AM »
yes it works.  just don't use steel or hevi-shot as you could split the end of the barrel.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 02:27:08 AM »

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 11:23:27 AM »
it works but you might not want to use the heavy #4's try low brass # 7 1/2's

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 12:01:13 PM »
it works but you might not want to use the heavy #4's try low brass # 7 1/2's
good choice.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 01:10:26 PM »
There is a guy (at least one) who has a youtube posting on cutting and shooting the cut shell.
thejanitor

Offline leprecon21

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 03:25:32 PM »
It works! :D
WOW it really works ;D
didn't get any pics but blew holes in 1" mdf counter top at 25 yds
i used #4 because I had a few lying around
kinda hard aiming because i don't have a bead or any sights on this tube(sawed off 2in when i was little) but not bad.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 04:33:50 PM »
 ;)  Me too, just couldn't help myself, Ran to the gravel pit just before dark with my NEF modified choke 20 ga. I actually hit the can I was holding the bead on at 35 yds.... it was quite impressive, I shot 3 of them and on one I didn't have the cut through enough and the hull stayed intact and I just had a shot pattern, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a pinch.  I used 6 shot 2 3/4 inch lead. But the cutting isn't real easy with a small pocket knife, I think it would be much easier with a hunting type knife that you can have a little better control with.
It was a fun way to end a Sat. afternoon.   thejanitor

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 05:34:56 PM »
This was a well know practice 50 - 75 years ago, and is being "relearned" by some today.  It makes the shell in your pocket more versatile in a pinch.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline powderman

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 05:50:07 AM »
This was a well know practice 50 - 75 years ago, and is being "relearned" by some today.  It makes the shell in your pocket more versatile in a pinch.

Ben

YEP, my Dad taught me that when I was a kid, nothing new there. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 09:52:36 AM »
I have followed the threads and seen the youtube video and am confident that it works, but I wonder why any of us here, who are obviously affluent enough to have computers and internet, would want to risk one of our finite number of deer hunting opportunities on this. I think you could get a ticket here for doing it, if caught.

Is anyone planning to try it on deer?
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 11:23:44 AM »
Could someone post a picture of a cut shell?

Offline powderman

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 12:19:33 PM »
POWPOW. No, I don't plan on deer hunting with them. My Dad showed me this 50 yrs or so ago simply as an emergency tool that could be used if needed. I've shot them from 12s, 20s, and 410s just playing around but never on game. WOW, talk about a glaser safety slug. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 09:44:42 PM »
Despite what a sheltered life my wife claims I had led-4 decades as LEO + Undercover work( she got a kick out of my last assignment because I was the oldest Agt left to fit in with the informant on a date! I never heard of this and OMG would a MIL/State LE agency approve something like this-NOT. But live and learn-the Been there-Done it crown wins again! America is great!

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 01:22:57 AM »
Despite what a sheltered life my wife claims I had led-4 decades as LEO + Undercover work( she got a kick out of my last assignment because I was the oldest Agt left to fit in with the informant on a date! I never heard of this and OMG would a MIL/State LE agency approve something like this-NOT. But live and learn-the Been there-Done it crown wins again! America is great!
actually MIL/State LE has no business poking their nose into how poor people feed themselves.
back when they were used, shells had to do double duty and I applaude them for their ingenuity.
yep, America is great !
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline surehuntsalot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 01:53:44 AM »
they work great on game at close range

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 08:18:36 AM »
They also make a clean hole too....this was at 25 yds, slightly low.  Smaller holes are 45 colt by the way.
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline leprecon21

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 07:58:59 PM »
did it again last weekend at the gun range.  The guy next to me wanderd over to see what i was doing.
so i showed him. by the time i explained it to him and got another in the chamber, he was walking quite fast back to his truck!? ???
some people have no nurve (or too much common sence) for there own good ;D

Offline zookiezoom

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 02:55:52 AM »
I tried it a while back during a break at our annual qualification with a Browning invector 12. 50 yards, two nice clean head shots on a B-27. The Chief just shook his head and walked away.
Life is a food chain; if your not on top, your on the menu.