Author Topic: pre-'78 model, non transfer bar better?  (Read 589 times)

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
pre-'78 model, non transfer bar better?
« on: October 08, 2011, 02:41:15 AM »
This is a great website. I've learned here that the transfer bar was added to H and R guns in 1978.

Yesterday I was out pawnshopping and found two pre-'78 H and R's, a 12 and a 20. Different shops. No transfer bar.   Both had plastic trigger guards, so probably... early '70's? 

I was looking for a 12, but the 20 was in awesome condition, and cheaper than the 12. Very nice. About $80, which I feel is a bit overpriced.

Anyway, my question is this - is this model better than the later one w/ transfer bar?
I personally have seen a broken transfer bar, and I read here it's somewhat common.
So, wouldn't I be better off buying the early model?

Also, is there any reason I could not switch later barrels to the early model if I chose to?

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: pre-'78 model, non transfer bar better?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:55:32 AM »
I like my pre T-bar, but it had misfires too, untill I lengthened the Firing pin protrusion (it was less than the accepted minimum), and the mainspring is a dbl. legged one if you order a Wolf replacement. Not having the T-bar is one less system, consisting of a number of parts, to malfunction.
You are limited as to what barrels you would , and should, want to fit yourself (shotgun and low pressure handgun calibers).
At $80 I would buy either, but I prefer 20ga. anyway (a lovely 5 1/2ish pound gun to carry and not be abused upon firing).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline kf4ocv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 05:22:49 PM »
You are likely to find out that it is really a personal preference.  They are both fine,  however I prefer the nontransfer bar better but that is only because I already had 2  1969 158 toppers.  My daughter has a .410 and the sb2 30/30 and they shoot fine as well.  I tend to lean toward the old stuff but it is nice to be able to go barrel shopping as well.  Between the two of us we have 2 30/30's,  2 .410's, 20g, 12g.  The 20 is by far my favorite shotgun.  I have shot many skeet with it.  Cheap shells and lite recoil equalsalot of fun.  At $80 I'd snatch it.
Chris

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 05:27:06 PM »
I have both, and personally prefer the pre...but I won't let my grandchildren use it at least for now......the t bar is safer to an extent.

You can use other shotgun barrels, and most likely some pistol calibers on that shotgun frame, but no centerfire rifle barrels, with the poss. exception of the thurty thurty.

Anything you add you will have to fit yourself.

Acknowledging that, I have several myself and love them..I cut my teeth on the old ones.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)