Author Topic: 8mm Mauser Loads  (Read 1284 times)

Offline baflyrod

• Trade Count: (0)
8mm Mauser Loads
« on: October 08, 2011, 03:25:27 PM »
I have a Remington 700 in  8mm Mauser. Worked on some loads with Varget and IMR 4350 but have not found the sweet spot. Anybody got some pet loads they want to share. At this time my Marlin .35 Remington is out shooting it at 100 yards. 35 connects holes and 8mm groups 1.5 inches. 8mm was grouping closer to 2" before I had a "straight jacket" installed, should be able to get sub MOA now but not there. Loading for 200 grain Nosler AccuBond, only weight they offer AccuBond in and I am hooked on Accubond for deer hunting.
Thanks,
Bobby

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: 8mm Mauser Loads
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 04:05:27 PM »
Try 185 grain Core Lokt and Reloader-15. I got this load out of Handloader magazine. We have used this on Whitetail with devastating effects.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline baflyrod

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 05:59:01 PM »
Hooked on AccuBond but you do have me looking at Reloader-15.

Try 185 grain Core Lokt and Reloader-15. I got this load out of Handloader magazine. We have used this on Whitetail with devastating effects.

Cheese
Thanks,
Bobby

Offline baflyrod

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 06:03:06 PM »
Going thru my powders I found that at some point I purchased Win-748, not sure what for but the Hornady manual has some loads for it. Deer season opens Tuesday and here I am working on loads ::)
Thanks,
Bobby

Offline Snowshoe

• Contributor
    • http://www.playfarmers.com
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 07:45:03 AM »
I used Hornady 170g RN with 49.5g of IMR4064 and a Winchester LR primer. It gave a velosity of 2640 fps and was a honest 1" shooter at 100 yards. That was my whitetail load. The same bullet with 48g of Varget at 2475 fps was also a 1" load. I also used the Hornady 195g bullet and 48.5g of IMR4064 for a sub 1" group. This is with an old Turkish mauser that I sportered.
Snowshoe

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »
I used Hornady 170g RN with 49.5g of IMR4064 and a Winchester LR primer. It gave a velocity of 2640 fps and was a honest 1" shooter at 100 yards.

Same here, This is THE load in my 8MM Mausers. I have also used the Sierra 175 Spitzer under same powder charge.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 09:05:35 PM »
200gr Speer JSP with ramshot Tac powder for 2450fps have proven a capable and accurate load in both mine and my sister in laws 8mm mausers.  This is my sister in laws go to load for moose and black bear.  The speer is plenty tough enough to handle the modest velocity of the 8mm because it is designed for the 8mm rem mag.   It would make a good deer load too.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 02:58:00 AM »
Here is an example of a 185 grain Corelokt bullet we recovered from a deer. It penetrated the entire length of the deer.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 03:30:36 AM »
Here is an example of a 185 grain Corelokt bullet we recovered from a deer. It penetrated the entire length of the deer.

Cheese

YUMMY looking mushrooms there cheese....  ::)

I was always quite skeptical of these bullets in a Mauser as they where designed for MUCH taller velocities. But your pics as well as many other people's comments on the matter seem to have proved me wrong in my assumptions.  I am quite happy with the Hornady 170 RN and Sierra 175 Spritzers. BUT If I needed another bullet this is what I would look for!

The Bear,
 That sounds like a dandy loading you have too!! When I find a loading and bullet that preforms in a given caliber I tend to stick with that and look for a different one for lighter or heavier bullets. Personally I have a old sporterized, peep sited Springfield that's zeroed for Sierra 220Gr RN bullets over a stiff charge of 4831 powder and chambered in 30/06. That  I use for heavy bullet needs. Kind of a American stopping rifle.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.