Author Topic: Trail Cam Shocker  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Trail Cam Shocker
« on: October 08, 2011, 03:34:23 PM »
I posted the story under Missouri Hunting but the short version is that my son and I checked one of our trail cameras to surprisingly find 4 pics of a young Mountain Lion stalking a Doe and making a leap at her. She was licking a mineral rock we had put out. A few months ago I got a pic of the rear paw print of a Mountain Lion on the same property. It gives bow hunting a new edge when we hunt there from now on. As a guy told my son, we had best look up into the ladder stands before climbing up to them.

The Missouri Conservation Department hates to admit they are here and I'll garauntee they are here in greater numbers than they'll admit to. Sure gives a new edge to just taking a walk too! I told my wife to be very careful when taking her two little Shitzu's outside to do their buiseness and to make sure she carries her pistol. Not quite as worried about my Boxer but the cat's apearance in the pics explains the sudden disapearance of heavy deer activity that we've noticed. Also talked to a neighbor who has a few horses and he said they had been acting like they were often badly spooked by something lately.

Both the track I photographed and these new pics were taken roughly 300 to 400 yards from my back door. Gee, and my sister-in-law recently asked me why I go armed 24/7, even at home. I may have to step up from a 9mm to a .45 or at least a .357 mag. Being a life long outdoorsman one thing I have definitly learned, ya just never know what is out there. Heck, we've had Moose take strolls through Missouri!

Offline Sourdough

Re: Trail Cam Shocker
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 03:51:48 PM »
They have been known to kill full grown Horses, Cattle, Sheep, and Humans.  Especially small kids.

From what I have learned from old men that hunted them in the past, if an animal can fight back and is large enough to possiably hurt the cat, the cat will back off.  But if the cat has the height advantage it will attack.  Meaning if it is up a tree, on a bluff, or up a ladder stand, it will spring claw and bite as it lands.  If it feels it has done damage it will stay and continue the attack.  If not it will move out of reach, but stick around and watch it's pray.  If the pray looks strong the cat will leave.  If the pray looks weak, the cat will stick around watching for more weakness or another advantage for an attack.

They have been reported in both Southeastern and South Central Alaska.  Why not Coyotes have moved in up here in recent years.. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline tattoo13

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »
I have see one in here in North Central Arkansas twice, I was baling hay just at dusk and watched one trot out of the end of the field and cut into a trail, took pictures of a solid track. Game and fish say it must be an escaped pet.  ::)

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 04:46:52 PM »
Roger,

We had coyotes in the Goldstream Valley when I built the cabin in 1969.  Actually, I saw and heard them two years before that when I was going to UA and living on Sandy Jensen's homestead.  And I know there were reports of cougar tracks around Atlin Junction during the '70s when they were published in the Alaska Sportsman.

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline possume

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »
can you post any pics

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 07:11:11 PM »
The boxer wouldn't stand a chance.

Spanky

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 08:30:11 PM »
Nope, not in a fight, but he has the brains to pick his fights. The little Shitzu's think they are 10 times as big as they are and will tackle anything.  If my son can get the pics to download I'll post them. For some reason my wifes computer wouldn't recognise the cards. He's going to try his wifes computer.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 05:20:43 PM »
Sorry these aren't the best pics but they are what they are. Four people who should know all agreed that it's a young Mnt. Lion. Click on the pics to view larger.

The Doe apears a bit larger because it is right in front of the camera. There's at least 15 to 20 yards between it and the cat.

It leaps from here to just out of frame to the left. A distance of at least 15 feet.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 05:32:10 PM »
It would be nice to blow up the pics.

99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 05:43:08 PM »
Tried, but the problem there is you loose definition. They become pixelated and very blurry. It's definitely bigger than a Bobcat and that don't leave too many options for what it could be. The camera man for a hunting show on the Outdoor Channel and 3 wildlife photographers all agreed it's a young Mnt. Lion.

Offline wwjmbd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 07:03:26 PM »
Looked like a monkey at first, definately not a bobcat, It really does look like a small mt lion.

Offline possume

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 07:14:36 PM »
thanks for the pictures makes you wonder whats in the woods with you and you just dont know

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 07:24:11 PM »
Looks like another tabby cat mistaken for a mountain lion to me. Just saying.

Iffen it was a lion that deer would not have hung around. It was totally unconcerned about the cat it seems.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 08:44:22 PM »
Winter Hawk:  When I arrived in Alaska in 1971, I was told by Fish and Game there was no Coyotes in Alaska.  When my buddy and I reported we had heard them howling behind the base, we were told they must have been young wolves.  I had heard reports of them back behind Eielson AFB, but Officially they were not there. 

In 1985 they could no longer deny their presence, someone hit one with a car on base.  Since then I have witnessed their population explosion in the Tanana Flats.  I have shot them, trapped them, ran over them with snow machines, and seen them in my back yard here in North Pole.

As for Mtn. Lions, why not.  Our winters are not that much colder now than the Northern Tier of States.  Just a little longer.  We have an abundence of game in some areas.  Game that a Mtn. Lion would have no trouble taking down.  Lynx live here, and do well.  Coyotes have adapted.  Why not Mtn Lions?

Ah, just think, another animal to test the .17HMR on.  Still looking for that Grizzly oppertunity.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 09:16:44 PM »
Northern Cal is lousy with big cats. They take down hikers sometimes.  The bears seem to be increasing also.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 02:56:29 AM »
Looking at the blown up pics I say no, maybe even a ground hog. And GB is correct, no deer would be unconcerned with a cougar.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 03:49:35 AM »
I'm no expert but the critter in those pictures sure looks like a fat old house cat to me.  The coloration looks all wrong to be a mountain lion.   Also, if you look at the two full sized pictures you will see the same two trees toward the upper right of the frame.  Using those trees as a reference you can compair the relative sizes of the two animals in the pictures.  Either that is a monster doe in the first picture or a very tiny mountain lion in the second.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 07:14:33 AM »
That's just it guys, the deer did react. The two pics were taken just 1 second apart. The camera is set to snap 3 quick pics, wait 3 minutes and snap 3 more. We have 3 pics of the doe walking up to and licking the mineral rock. Then in the next set the cat apears in the pic with the doe. The next pic shows the cat leaping and the doe has bolted as it's no where in the pic.The 3rd pic of that set shows the cat has leaped completely out of camera range. I don't know of any house cat that can leap that far that fast. My son noticed in some other pics a hen turkey, with it's head up in the alert position, standing in the same spot as where the cat is in the pic with the doe. That gives us a pretty good way to judge the size of the cat. It's back is the hight of the turkey's head. Mighty big for a house cat. Also, if 4 profesionals say the cat is much bigger than it first apears I have to tend to believe them.  It's farther behind those trees than you might think and the doe apears much larger because it's much closer to the camera lens. Ever hold a fish out in front of you for a pic? The fish will apear much bigger than it realy is because of being closer to the lens than your body. You have to understand, we have the edge of being there at the spot and knowing how far from the camera that the cat was. As to the color, it's the same color as the deer and you can see stripes around it's tail just as a young lion would have. The head is an illusion as it was in movement as the picture was snapped. My wife blew the pic up and you can barely make out the cat's face looking towards the side slightly. It has the white chin like a Mnt. Lion too and can be seen just under the hanging limb out in front. Any how, we intend to find out for sure. We are putting 4 more trail cams in the same area to try and get better pics. If I can find them I'll post pics of more tracks taken in the same area and that are beyond any doubt Mnt. Lion tracks.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 04:04:21 PM »
sorry spirit, that aint no mountain lion.   
  i see guys around here all the time post pictures with strange critters, and sometimes it is hard to see for sure what it is.   the reason i say it isnt a mountain lion...the tail is entirely too short.    and, it is entirely too small.  even if it is further away from the camera, that animal isnt much bigger than a house cat, definately not even big enough to be a bobcat. 

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 06:00:36 PM »
Last year we had a critter caught by the game camera.

It kept molesting my feeder

Pat

" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 07:36:32 PM »
Here is one more opinion.  I have seen close to 20 cougars in the wild and skinned probably 50 more while working in hide shops when I was younger.  Looking at those 2 pictures there isn't anything about that cat that isn't 100% cougar.  Those of you who doubt need to spend more time in the mountains.
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 03:01:24 AM »
I might as well give my opinion. :)   Its not a mature mountain lion, the tail is too short.  It is possible it is a partially grown mountain lion, I believe they are half grown for before their tail starts to get its extreme length.  As to its size when comparing it to the trees and brush behind, it is no bigger than a big house cat(except in weight) but its shape is a little off.  To me it could easily be a young mountain lion, it looks like a youth that has gorged itself because of its extended stomach.  Perhaps it is full of venison,  I know sometimes I eat enough vension that my stomach does the same thing !! ;D  But seriously, when looking at the blown-up pics that PA Myers posted the size, shape, spots and coloring is a perfect match for a mountain lion kitten, (pull up some pics of a mountain lion kittens if you believe the coloring and spots aren't correct) .  IMO it is very possibly a young mountain lion.
Dave   

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 04:28:52 AM »
It looks like a groung hog to me.

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 01:43:33 AM »
A spotted groundhog with a tail like that ??  :o

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 01:59:21 AM »
I've changed my mind, looking at the blown up pictures more closely, I would say by the stance and short front legs it is undoubtedly a KANGAROO!!! ;)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 02:30:20 AM »
A spotted groundhog with a tail like that ??  :o

Spoted because of picsilation like the trees and ground also.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 04:05:38 AM »
I really don't know what it is by the pictures but with the tail the way it looks it might be a bobcat. I have seen several mt lions in the wild and none had rings on their tail . Here in Va. we have bobcats that reach over 45 lbs and are quite large. I would suggest trying to find a good track to inspect , maybe get a good picture . That would be a good way to determine what it is.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 04:25:52 AM »
it is not that far from the deer in that picture...
  any of you who think it is a mountain lion, i want some of what you are smoking.   i can understand spirit thinking "what is that???" and posting it here for opinions and comments.  i might have done the same...but no way is that thing a mountain lion.   MAYBE a young bobcat?  but it even looks too small for that to even be possible.   i am thinking it is a feral cat. 

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 02:42:45 AM »
it is not that far from the deer in that picture...
  any of you who think it is a mountain lion, i want some of what you are smoking.   i can understand spirit thinking "what is that???" and posting it here for opinions and comments.  i might have done the same...but no way is that thing a mountain lion.   MAYBE a young bobcat?  but it even looks too small for that to even be possible.   i am thinking it is a feral cat.

Spirit said in the original post that the 2 animals were 15 to 20 yards, that could make a big difference in how the size of the cat is perceived by the camera.  If you look at the cat it has all the colorations and characteristics of a mountain lion.  These include the light brown color of the fur, white underbelly, long tail with upward curve at the end, black on the end of the tail, the black tip is common but not always present.  And another thing, bobcats have a short tail, have a lot of black and white in there fur, and a bobcat will average only about 20-25 lbs.  Sure some will get to enormous proportions but that is not the norm.  So I think it is you who are "smoking something" .

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 02:57:48 AM »
I don't know the nane of the cat but around here there is a cat that looks like a bobcat but it has a long tail. They get quite large. My daughter in laws cat gave birth to a litter of them . At first some thought that she had mated with a bobcat. But the vet seems to think it was a domestic cat of the type that looks like one with a long tail. The kittens , about half of them looked this way. The ones that did had tuffs on the ears and something like a small mane.
POINT is there is alot of STUFF walking around out there.  :o
If ya can see it ya can hit it !