Author Topic: new prostaff 2x7x32  (Read 895 times)

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
new prostaff 2x7x32
« on: October 08, 2011, 06:34:33 PM »
picked up one of the new model 2x7 prostaffs with the standard duplex reticle this week, at  a local shop for 135.
very nice, much better optics than what Ive seen on the older style.I always thought my buddy's3x9 was a little dodgy at dusk.
nikon claims fully multicoated optics and maximum 98% light transmission.
I mounted it on my cva scout in 35 whelen and tried it out at 40 yards (my front yard range)
I think its the equal of my monarch bdc 3x9x40, seems clear and bright.

the resettable turrets are a nice touch, never used them before, but I will be looking for them in the future.
 speaking of turrets these feel solid no mushiness in the adjustments, fingertip adjustable keep your change in your pocket.
did the box test going 16 clicks each way all way round and back to zero and it went right back to where it was supposed to be. shot a little of everything thru it, from lightweight 200 ftx loads at 2000fps  to remington factory 250's at 2400fps and  fullhouse 225sgk's at 2600fps with no drama.(other than firing the sgk's in a 6.5 lb weapon, It will get your attention in the recoil department)
 I put 60 rounds on target, most from a lead sled with a 25lb weight on it, thats supposed to be particularly brutal for scopes and it passed with flying colors.

now if they just made one in  a deep rich blue to match my Belgian BLR I would have 2 of them.

the old saying is you get what you pay for in optics, I think I got way better than a $135 scope here.
 its a basic no frills good scope at a good price and and weighs (edit)13.9 ounces. fits with the scout nicely without looking like a telescope mounted on a matchstick( one of my pet peeves is seeing a trim carbine like a scout or model 7 with a 4x12x50  or bigger mounted, I just think why did you bother getting a carbine if youre gonna mount  the baby hubble on it)

if it holds up at longer ranges I may have found the perfect match for the scout.

Ill be going to the 200-600 yard range tomorrow and see how it really performs.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: new prostaff 2x7x32
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 03:02:11 AM »
somethings wrong there. I even went to there website and checked and they list the light transmition as 98 percent on a prostaff and 95 on a monarch gold!! All i can say is the prostaffs ive had were absolute duds when it came to light transmition and my monarchs are great. Ive sold off the 3 prostaffs i had because they were terrible low light scopes. If they changed the scopes that drasticaly and a prostaff is actually better then a monarch (which is great compared to other scopes in its price range) then they sure arent going to sell many monarchs or buckmastes anymore. Id have to bet that it was just a  misprint in there website or a number they pulled out of the air to get guys on a budget to buy nikons.
blue lives matter

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 07:31:18 AM »
somethings wrong there. I even went to there website and checked and they list the light transmition as 98 percent on a prostaff and 95 on a monarch gold!! All i can say is the prostaffs ive had were absolute duds when it came to light transmition and my monarchs are great. Ive sold off the 3 prostaffs i had because they were terrible low light scopes. If they changed the scopes that drasticaly and a prostaff is actually better then a monarch (which is great compared to other scopes in its price range) then they sure arent going to sell many monarchs or buckmastes anymore. Id have to bet that it was just a  misprint in there website or a number they pulled out of the air to get guys on a budget to buy nikons.

Lloyd, that's sort of what I thought too, but the fully coated/98% claim is printed on the side of the box it came in and is featured in the video on the  website. if its a misprint it goes all the way thru the production and marketing sides of the house,  like I said, my buddy kevin's  3x9 prostaff never impressed me in any category, this one looks to be a class or 2 better overall and a heck of a bargain.  altho IM kinda like you in that im waiting for the other shoe to drop,meanwhile i think I just put together my opening day shooter,Ill try and wear it out before november 7th opening day and see if it breaks

EDIT
studying it closer I think I heard the other shoe, it appears to be a 2 piece maintube, with the joint on the forward side of the turret assembly. this may be how the price is held down without the extra machining needed for a one piece assembly.
and theres no claim of a monotube on the website or on the box or promotional material that came with it.
  I checked  the monarch and it is a one piece maintube.

I have no idea how the 2 piece design will affect the life of the scope, given the lifetime warranty nikon puts on them  I believe ill back that particular gamble

Offline tboy

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 03:25:11 AM »
I've found my Prostaffs to very good at dusk and dawn. Very comparable to my Leupy VXII's. For the money, the close out prices for the recent model changes were hard to beat.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 08:30:11 AM »
They probably had a typo, used to advertise prostaff at 88, buckmaster at 92 and monarch at 95.

Molon labe

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 02:45:57 AM »
found another on sale at wal mart of all places for $99  looked like they were closing out the old style but had one of the newer models marked down beside it so now I do have 2 of them. this one will prolly go on the marlin 30/30

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 07:17:15 AM »
How does the Prostaf glass compare to the Omega?

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 11:26:06 AM »
How does the Prostaf glass compare to the Omega?

Dont know, Ive never checked out an omega, It does compare very favorably to the the 3-9bdc monarch I bought last year.
 as far as glass quality, they are near a match on brightness and sharpness. my eyes arent good enough do discern a difference in everyday use, if I could get out to a 600yd range I might be able to tell but im stuck working 250 miles away from home right now

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 11:41:10 AM »
I love the Prostaffs.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 03:39:04 PM »
I wouldn't put too much weight on the 98% light transmission stat when deciding on purchasing the scope.  I seriously doubt that prostaff is going to be brighter than top of the line scopes listing 95% light transmission.  I have one of the new 3-9 scopes and it seems like a good scope, nothing wrong with it, but imho light transmission specs don't mean much to me especially when its abnormaly high for a relatively cheap scope.   

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 12:02:33 AM »
well any improvement on the light transmition on a prostaff would be welcome. There a good reliable scope but optically theres better choises in that price range.
blue lives matter

Offline 336SC

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 12:44:34 AM »
Like the 2x7x32 Prostaffs a LOT and have three mounted on 30-06, 358, 300 Savage rifles and are holding up well.  Made my latest yet
still legal shot with the 30-06 with the Prostaff mounted.  Shot was 126yd with 12 minutes of legal shooting time left and bang flop.  These are all the older Prostaffs.  Even got one in the spare scope locker to mount on a suitable rifle aquisition I might make in the future.  Fine, fine scope for the money!
336SC
USN, 10 Jul 1969 - 6 Dec 1973.  NRA Life Member.  Master Mason, Porter Lodge #284, 10th Masonic District.