Author Topic: Which gun?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Mink

• Trade Count: (0)
Which gun?
« on: January 09, 2004, 12:29:35 PM »
Which gun would be good for wearing under jackets but if nessecary, you can wear it under a t-shirt?
What holster do you believe is the best, and type of caliber weapon?
Do you perfer waist, or under the shoulder.
Other info?

Thanks,
Mink

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Which gun?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 02:52:56 PM »
Been carrying concealed for about 25 years.  Hiding the gun depends on your dress code.  A light jacket can conceal a compact belt holster but an inside the waist band is always eaiser to conceal. (You must buy your pants one size larger)  For several years I carried a compact .45 on a belly band.  Very concealable, but slow to get at and impossible to reholster without undoing your pants!  Not good!  Over the last ten years I have mostly carried a .38 S&W airweight (the .45 was just too heavy for an "always" gun) but have lately gone to a old Charter .44 bulldog.(still several oz. lighter than the .45)  All these have been in a blade-tec UCH holster.  You don't sweat through plastic and so don't rust the gun.  This is a tuckable holster, you can tuck your shirt in and the gun and holster disappears, even with a t-shirt (you have to buy those one size larger also).  Yes, a cylinder is thicker than the slide of an auto, but I find the rounded profile of a revolver is less likely to print so easier to conceal.  I carry a Kel-tec P32 when I wear shorts, (less often now days as my wife says my legs don't pass the breakfast test anymore) but am seriously thinking of changing that to a Kahr PM9.  A friend of mine has one and you can pocket it easily and you still have a 9mm.
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Dave in WV

Which gun?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 02:56:11 PM »
While hard to come by a Kel-Tek .380 would work for you. My favorite holster for a full size handgun is a fanny pack holster. It works well with with most clothes but not dress clothes of course. I only use a shoulder holster for hunting. Glad to see you Buckeyes getting to carry finally.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline lostone1413

• Avid Poster
Which gun?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 03:46:04 PM »
Here most of the times i'm in shorts and tee shirt I carry a GP100 with a 4"barrel. I carry it in smartcarry It's not as fast as a regular holster to get the gun out of but with just a little pratice you can get it quick enough and it is the best way to conceal that i've found givin my dress in AZ

Offline ar-steve

• http://www.stevesjeepfab.com
Which gun?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 02:33:56 PM »
I have been packing for 8 years, full size HK usp & full size Glock . I have many gallco holsters , but the easy way is the in the waist band holster. I carry in the small of my back . 2 problems, the HK sometimes the safety clicks off when I sit. The glock some times ( all too often) the mag pops out . but I address these problems by checking them often. The Gallco miami clasic shoulder rig is great if you are going to keep your coat on. I hope this helps...steve :D
look! a blaze orange deer!

Offline 44 Man

Which gun?
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 07:31:29 AM »
I'm sorry, but any system you have to keep "checking" is not working for you.  Saw a fellow the other day look at something on the bottom shelf at a store.  He reached behind and held his coat down as he crouched down.  That's a pretty obvious tell that he is carrying.  Anyone who keeps checking his side or his back is telegraphing that to everyone.  I find I must dress "fat" and loose to hide a gun on a daily basis.  Some slim guys won't do that, so they try other ways to hide the gun, usually not sucessfully.  If you carry a gun as part of your lifestyle, you must accomidate your dress and lifestyle to it.  You do not bend over at the waist and pick up something from the floor.  You bend your knees and stoop down.  If you hug someone, you reach in under their arms first, then theirs are over yours and they can't feel your gun.  Your gun must carry on your body in such a way that it will not hook the rungs of a wooden chair when you get up (of clunk on them when you sit down).  If you have to move things or reach down and cover your gun, your system is not working and you must try another.  As for poping the mag loose in the holster, try cutting away a little leather so it will not press on the release.  44 Man

PS, we all have a box of holsters we have tried that didn't work as expected.  I have found that quite often the problem is our belt and not the holster.  Many people think a heavy belt is enough but many times it is just not stiff enough to support the holster properly.  I use an AKER agent belt with a plastic stiffener in it.  It doesn't look like a "gun" belt.

Offline Gregory

Which gun?
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 12:10:27 PM »
Quote from: 44 Man
I carry a Kel-tec P32 when I wear shorts, (less often now days as my wife says my legs don't pass the breakfast test anymore) but am seriously thinking of changing that to a Kahr PM9. /quote]

I've gotta ask:  What's the breakfast test?

BTW
I carry a 32 Tomcat in an inside the pants holster and I still wear shorts.
(When I'm in a state that recognizes my CCW permit)
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline Mink

Which gun?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 06:19:07 AM »
Thanks for the info guys...you guy have said so many guns be awhile for me to do research before choosing one. Feel free to add anything else you want you think might be of help.

Mink

Offline 44 Man

Which gun?
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 08:27:03 AM »
Greg, being in my late 50s, I no longer stir the girls hearts when I unbutton my shirt or wear shorts.  The "breakfast test" as my wife puts it, is someone dressing is such a way (me with no shirt) that you would not care to sit across from them as you ate breakfast.   :eek:   Hope you have a few years to go before you get there.  44 Man

Offline Rod in Pa

Which gun
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2004, 10:25:02 AM »
I have carried for for 34 years. I now carry a Kahr PM9  with night sights in a Mitch Rosen IWB model CLP. It is a very nice system. Rod

Offline williamlayton

Which gun?
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2004, 02:27:12 AM »
I have found it comfortable to carry a air-weight S&W .38 or my PPK .380 in my  front pocket. Been doing it for 35 years. Stick em in my pants if tha need be.
Now that i plan on this IDPA thing I have ordered a couple of holsters, from Horseshoe, and a belt. I think I can carry the P239 or 220 pretty conceilable with them IF I dress accordingly. We will see, and make adjustments as needed.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
Which gun?
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2004, 06:40:24 PM »
As has been said concealed carry often depends on mode of attire. Winter and a coat allows me to carry in a holster on my hip. Summer requires inside the waistband with shirt out.

Quite often I'll just bypass both of those and carry in a pocket... or two. KEL-TEC's little .32 disappears in a pocket or ankle holster. The 9mm KEL-TEC also fits quite well in a pocket and doesn't "print" if a folded up hanky is put in the space under the trigger guard and fore end. Or an inside the pocket holster will also eliminate "printing". I prefer the 9mm for both primary and secondary gun.

Secondary gun? If your CCW allows multiple carry I'd recommend it highly. Even the cops carry a back up.

I agree that if special measures are being taken to insure the gun stays hidden the method of carry needs to be rethought. Carrying needs to be just as natural to you as wearing pants or dress (depending on gender). And getting to it/drawing it also needs to come naturally. Any fumbling is just not a good thing.
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline rockbilly

Which gun?
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2004, 07:07:09 AM »
I think my best all-round carry gun is a S&W model 60-9, .357 mag.  Mine is stainless so the sweat does not effect it during the summer time.  It has all the power you need to do the job.