Author Topic: Republicans are their own worst enemy  (Read 353 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Republicans are their own worst enemy
« on: October 09, 2011, 09:10:59 AM »
We had a GOP lunchion Friday.  We discussed the election that took place Tuesday, and the results.  Bonnie Williams our chair person made the statement "We are our own worst enemies".  And she is right.  I pointed this out to her the previous week when we were interviewing the candidates for our local Bourough Assembly.  We had three seats open.  Liberals had one person running in each position.  Conservatives had as many as six people running for a seat.  Our Borough is made up roughly of 60% Conservative Republicans, and 40% Liberal Democrates.  Yet our Assembly is almost all Liberals, along with the Mayor.

Now here we go fighting amoungst our selves again.  We need to put forth a strong candidate for the Office Of President.  We need someone with some political experience, that won't be eaten alive by DC politics.  Someone with executive experience.  Someone with business experience.  Someone who has the capability of selecting compatent people to place in charge of offices, and agencies.  We only need to look at the issues important to running the nation.  My only criteria is that he not be Muslum.  Yet we have groups now running down one highly qualified candidate, saying his religion is a cult.  That should not even be an issue in my book.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Republicans are their own worst enemy
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 10:42:02 AM »
Yes they are. They have this Presidental election for the taking if they can get their act together. Even the President admits he is an underdog. If the Republicans loose this election, they have only themselves to blame.

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 02:12:16 PM »
We had a GOP lunchion Friday.  We discussed the election that took place Tuesday, and the results.  Bonnie Williams our chair person made the statement "We are our own worst enemies".  And she is right.  I pointed this out to her the previous week when we were interviewing the candidates for our local Bourough Assembly.  We had three seats open.  Liberals had one person running in each position.  Conservatives had as many as six people running for a seat.  Our Borough is made up roughly of 60% Conservative Republicans, and 40% Liberal Democrates.  Yet our Assembly is almost all Liberals, along with the Mayor.

Now here we go fighting amoungst our selves again.  We need to put forth a strong candidate for the Office Of President.  We need someone with some political experience, that won't be eaten alive by DC politics.  Someone with executive experience.  Someone with business experience.  Someone who has the capability of selecting compatent people to place in charge of offices, and agencies.  We only need to look at the issues important to running the nation.  My only criteria is that he not be Muslum.  Yet we have groups now running down one highly qualified candidate, saying his religion is a cult.  That should not even be an issue in my book.   

You had me excited there for a minute :D Thought you were talking about Paul. :'(
I speak out against Romney at my local political headquarters (Conservative coffee shop), but not because of his belonging to the Church of Latter Day Saints! That's his  business and should have nothing to do with politics period.

We disagree on him being a highly qualified candidate. I don't believe he has the country's best interest at heart. Same with Perry.....I happen to belong to the same denomination he does, but Have no use for his two sided mouth. Your always going to have mud slinging at primary debates. That is what they are all about. My mind was made up, as most I'm sure about who would get my vote before they started. I try to keep up with their voting records  if they have one and what got them to the position they now hold. Perry and Mitt were born into the political arena. I'm for breaking that chain!

Also! I want someone that will be true to the Constitution.Those two fall short "IMO"

We might not always agree, but I respect your decision to campaign and vote for the one you think best!
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:11:33 PM »
removed by poster

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:42:23 PM »
This is my openion, and I gather this from watching the debates on Fox.  The words out of their mouths, not what is reported on the news.  I compare everyone to Ronald Reagan, he was the best we have had in a long time.  While he may not have been the best decision maker, he knew how to surround himself with the best advisors, who could help him make those decisions.

Herman Cain:  I like his ideas, and the man definately has experience running big corporations.  He can make decissions, and select qualified people who can get the job done.  Herman is living proof that anyone can make it in this country if they have the drive and ability to go forth.  While he is my favorite, I have concerns about him.  My only drawback with him is that he has no political experience.  Not sure if he understands the quagmire he will be dealing with in DC.  I lived in DC while a distant relative was serving as VP.  I talked with his wife many times and she explained some of the problems they were having just trying to get anything done in that arena.  I'm afraid Herman would be at a disadvantage to start with.  I'm sure he could get caught up shortly, but it would take some time.

Mitt Romney:  In my view he is totally qualified.  He has political experience from being Governor, and I am satisfied with his answer on Romnicare.  He said it does not fit for the nation, and he has learned from that experience.  He has the business experience needed, look at what he did with the floundering Olympics.  He took a badly failing program and made a total turn around.  While he is not my favorite, I feel he is the our best choice among those that are running.

Ron Paul:  Strong Constatutionalist, given high marks with many.  I like that in him.  But his view on world issues is a bit too far out there, and unreasonable.  While I like some of his Isolationist ideas, he just wants to go too far.  While we don't need to be buying everything from other countries, we do need to sell our products on a world wide basis.  Ron Paul would isolate us to the point I am afraid no one would deal with us period.  We would be cut off from the world markets.  Being a Liberation, I am afraid he would continue to give the EPA a green light to continue their assult on our industries.

Newt Gingrich:  Totally qualified in all areas, but with baggage that could be used against him during the Presidential election.  I hear more negative things about him than any other of the candidates.  If he should get nominated I would support him 100%, but I don't think all republicans would.

Rick Perry:  Reminds me too much of GW.  And I definately do not like his stance on Illegal Aliens.  Giving Illegals Instate Tution is wrong in my book.

Michele Bachmann:  I feel she just is not strong enough for the office.

Jon Huntsman: Again just not strong enough.

Gary Johnson:  Too unknown.  Never heard of him till he threw his hat into the ring.  Was not at the debates.

Buddy Roemer:  Same thing, too unknown.  Not at the debates.

Rick Santorum:  I think he is in over his head.  Too emotional, hot head, just not settled enough for the job.

Now I did have a one on one with Mitt Romney's son Josh, a few weeks ago.  I liked what I heard from him about his father.  I did make the statement, "There was so much talent on that stage during the debate it would be a shame not to use it".  In my view I am looking for what is best for the country.  I don't care what religion he/she is.  If they have made mistakes during their careers, so what.  We learn from our mistakes, who out there has not made a mistake in their career?  Right now we need someone who is strong enough to make the hard cuts necessary to the budget, and to government.  Using a business sense to get things back to running in a business friendly atmosphere.  Kill some of the millions of regulations that are holding back our industries.  If they are really needed, they should be taken to congress and made into laws. 

I personally would like to see a Romney/Cain ticket.

Rog, the old Sourdough

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.