Author Topic: Help I ran out of adjustment on my scope  (Read 1643 times)

Offline fredbear92

• Trade Count: (0)
Help I ran out of adjustment on my scope
« on: October 09, 2011, 09:44:30 AM »
Hello everybody.I need some help.I just bought a new(to me) Marlin 30aw in 30/30.I mounted a new 3x9x42 weaver nitrex scope.Im using weaver quad lock rings to weaver bases .The ring were highs if I remember correctly.Just got back from the rifle range and at 100 yards Im still shooting 3" low.Ive ran out of vertical adjustment on my scope.I need to site in 3" high(Im shooting Leverevolutions) so I still need another 6" of vertical adjustment.Which way do I go.Taller or shorter rings??Seems to me Id need a shorter height ring.If this is correct,I can fit lows on if I drift out my rear factory sights.If I need taller rings,will xtra high(are these available?)give me the 6" I still need??Im not wanting to shoot see thru sights if any way possible.Any and all help is appreciated.Thanks.

Offline Dave in WV

Re: Help I ran out of adjustment on my scope
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 10:43:25 AM »
Changing the ring height won't fix your problem. Make sure you mounted the scope correctly. If everything looks good I would verifly the problem area by mounting the scope on another rifle or mounting another scope on your 30/30.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 12:05:49 PM »
somethings not right there, is it a canted base with 20moa preset on it? never heard of a 20 moa base for a marlin???
marlins usually dont give any trouble sighting in with standard bases and rings.
are the rings matched? did you get a mismatched set with one higher or lower than the other?
swap the rings front to back and see what happens if it goes too high theres the problem. if it stays the same its in the base.
a sure fire but more expensive solution is burris signature zee rings with 5,10 or 20 thousandth offset inserts.
takes a little time and patience but you can center the scope adjustments and move the offset around and nearly zero the scope without touching the dials, then use the scope adjustments for final zeroing.
 try swapping the rings around first, if it changes to too high go get another set of rings, those arent right and the torque on the tube can damage your scope.
if it stays the same its in the base, try a different base they are common and shouldnt be a problem to find another 336/30 base on short notice.
trying another scope like dave suggested is an option too, it just may be the scope, anythings possible till you start eliminating variables.
I would swap the scope first and see if it is in the scope, then swap the rings,then the base, if all else fails theres the burris rings but theyre roughly $60 for the rings and offset inserts but work great and dont mark scopes in addition to all the adjustability.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:33:31 PM »
I had the same thing with a 98 Mauser needed 7". I used a set of Burris Zee's with the 10 thou inserts that give you 10" extra adjustment at 100yds. They worked perfect. Burris has a video on there sight that shows how to use, it's easy. hope this helps.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Greg B.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 03:19:29 PM »
I mounted a Leupold fixed 4X using Leupold non detachable mounts on my Marlin 1895. Despite following the directions on the web site I ran out of verticle adjustment room.. Got five or six free thin metal shims from Leupold and now everything works fine.

Greg B.

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 04:36:53 AM »
Check the items that the responders suggested. Another option is to use shim stock on the bottom of the appropriate ring. I've done this succesfully on a couple of my rifles. Try 10 thousands and go from there.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.