Author Topic: What makes a good gunfighter  (Read 3333 times)

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
What makes a good gunfighter
« on: October 09, 2011, 10:29:01 AM »
After winning several archery contests, the young and rather boastful champion challenged a Zen master who was renowned for his skill as an archer. The young man demonstrated remarkable technical proficiency when he hit a distant bull's eye on his first try, and then split that arrow with his second shot.
"There," he said to the old man, "see if you can match that!"
Undisturbed, the master did not draw his bow, but rather motioned for the young archer to follow him up the mountain.
Curious about the old fellow's intentions, the champion followed him high into the mountain until they reached a deep chasm spanned by a rather flimsy and shaky log. Calmly stepping out onto the middle of the unsteady and certainly perilous bridge, the old master picked a far away tree as a target, drew his bow, and fired a clean, direct hit.
"Now it is your turn," he said as he gracefully stepped back onto the safe ground.
Staring with terror into the seemingly bottomless and beckoning abyss, the young man could not force himself to step out onto the log, no less shoot at a target.
"You have much skill with your bow," the master said, sensing his challenger's predicament, "but you have little skill with the mind that lets loose the shot."

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: What makes a good gunfighter
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »
How many target shooters, and handgun game players, fancy themselves as shootist, having never been tried? Excellent story, and perfect example of the real deal, and the pretender.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 03:31:32 AM »
How many target shooters, and handgun game players, fancy themselves as shootist, having never been tried? Excellent story, and perfect example of the real deal, and the pretender.

I would rather have a "good target shooter or game player" at my side when the chips are down instead of the "casual shooter".
When the "real deal" comes a calling, most gun handlers will respond adquately if in possession of proper "response gear".  When all hell breaks loose you need a little luck as well as skill/experience to come out feeling like you did yesterday, as it's like the ole saying "I'd rather be lucky than good" because when Lady Luck takes a hike on ya, you then have the best chance of finding that "Golden BB".   

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 03:32:04 AM »
Nerves of steel is what makes a good gunfighter.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 05:01:51 AM »
Nerves of steel and reaction time.  Jeff Cooper once said the best way to test your reaction time is to hunt for trophies.  There's a decision that has to made in a split second as to shoot or don't shoot...in this day and age, it would be free ranging trophies not guaranteed high fence.  I guess his point is that you'll spend alot of time not shooting anything and must be really decisive when you do.  Just my 2 cents.....
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
I guess first you have to define gunfighter.  My choces as best gunfighter would be split between a point man I knew who carried a shotgun and 22lr high standard double nine in Viet Nam, and a survivor of Korea who was the best rifleman I ever met.  The Korea vet got the shakes every time he shot.  The point man has his name on the wall in Arlington. 

Hodr
TANSTAAFL

Offline Dee

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 12:06:08 PM »
I'm not tryin to offend any one but, the truth is, know one knows whom will do what, until they've actually been in a "real" fight. All else is speculating, and speculating accounts for nothing, but more speculation. I've met lots of "would be gunfighters", and self proclaimed "pistol wizards" in my past career. I've listened to their bravado on what if, and 90% were all hat, and no cattle, regardless of their training, and I saw them on both sides of the badge too.
I once knew an officer that everyone on that force believed was in over his head, every morning when he pinned on that badge. He was mild mannered, and quite, and diminutive in size. He answered a call one night of a man with a gun, and when he got to the parking lot, over 30 teenagers watched as an armed Mexican threw down on him as he walked up. At less than fifteen feet, facing an already drawn gun, he (the officer) from the holster, put 4 rounds in the Mexican before the Mexican could fall using a Model 19 Smith. Autopsy said he (the Mexican) most likely was dead before he hit the ground. His goal was to protect those teenagers, and he was willing to take a bullet doing it. Not one witness contradicted the other in their sworn statements. No bragging, no talking. If the Mexican got to the teenagers, he was going to have to kill that officer first. When the fight was over, and the paper work was done, and the hearing was concluded, the officer went right back to whom he had always been. A quite, mild mannered, diminutive in size officer, whom would charge hell with a bucket of water, when life just got real uncomplicated.
You can do all the practicing, speculating on what you, or someone else would do, and all the game playing you want. Practice, and training is good, and most times essential. It still doesn't mean you'll stand and fight, if and when the time comes.
So "What makes a good gunfighter?" Someone that will stand and fight knowing a bullet may have their name on it, and they stand and fight anyway. And they usually aren't who you think they are.

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 12:39:34 PM »
I would still like to know the definiton of gunfighter.  I have never thought gunfighter of necessity useing a sidearm.

Hodr
TANSTAAFL

Offline Dee

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 04:19:07 PM »
Well Hodr, hollyweird came up with the term gunfighter, and the fast draw. Most back then were referred to as Shootists, or just as gunmen. In reality, folks usually just stood there and started shooting. Imaginations have really added to the myth of the fast drawing cowboys, even though the cowboy era only lasted about 35 years.

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 06:18:49 PM »
Best shot I ever saw with an M14 was an officer at Ft Benning in 66 or 67.  This guy came in with a semitrailer and gunsmith in support, watching him shoot from prone at 300 yds was just plain spooky.  I can't remember if his name was Adams or something else.  The Korean vet I talked about earlier lost to me at bench. He was shooting an M1 Garand and I was shooting an accurised M14 on loan from a brigade Sgt Major, both of us with standard military sights.  He got permission to move and shoot in front of the benches from the Rangemaster.  With everything locked we all got a chance to watch.  All targets were popped at once and this man with an M1 and a pocket full of clips took a step and a half rolled to prone, fired two shots at a time, rolled, fired two until every target out to 300yds was down, then he got the shakes.  A cup of coffee all around we walked his lane.  Every target save one carried two holes mid torso, the sole exception had the second round at crotch level.  I am not sure I have ever met a gunfighter, I will however hope that if I need my back covered it will be by a guy that gets shaky when it is all over.  Mayby he was not a gunfighter, mayby not a paper puncher, but he had a Combat Infantry badge and was the best Rifleman I have seen in 65 years. 

Hodr
TANSTAAFL

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »
good  running shoes

and the wisdom to use them early on

or better yet  avoidance
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 04:01:13 AM »
The guy that gets the first shot off accurately.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 04:14:43 AM »
''take your time ,in a hurry''...........doc holiday 
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 04:28:43 AM »
Quote from Wild Bill:

"Whenever you get into a row be sure and not shoot too quick. Take time. I've known many a feller slip up for shootin' in a hurry,"

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 04:38:41 AM »
http://stevemorris.livejournal.com/30518.html
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Wyatt_Earp_(film)

we are both wrong......but i almost said  wild bill

thanx for makeing me look it  up................................................wyatt earp

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 05:02:22 AM »
A good gunfighter is a prepared gunfighter. He is aware of his surroundings , he plays out what ifs in his mind as he goes thru. life. When he enters new terrority he looks for escape routes and cover . He knows how to aim and point shoot and the choice is a reflex not a conscious thought. He avoids conflict but is ready if it comes . He knows accurate fire is better than fast misses . He can deliver accurate fire while being fired upon. He is not an equipment junkie but a expert with what he has . He can read people . When he commits to a fight its all the way. He has no ego . He understands pressure and knows how to use it to his advantage , like going from a peaceful rest to rage . He knows the law .

Most important he knows what he can't do and does not get suckered into a fight he can't win. Like clearing a house by himself .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 05:49:13 AM »
Quote from Shootall:
He can read people .

I agree! May be one of the most important skills in the equation.
GuzziJohn

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 02:31:54 AM »
A cool head and a steady hand.  Elmer Keith.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 02:33:23 AM »
Be able to hurry up while taking your time  ;D

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 04:23:05 AM »
Being able to enjoy the green side of the grass afterwards....
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 08:49:48 AM »
Using a gun in defense does not a "gunfighter" make.

Same as driving a car fast does a race car driver make.

Larry Gibson

Offline painted horse

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 09:17:33 AM »
"You have to be willing, most ain't.."  J.B. Book  (John Wayne in the Shootist)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
"You have to be willing, most ain't.."  J.B. Book  (John Wayne in the Shootist)

That is the start for sure .

Offline GLShooter

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 02:38:16 PM »
I always figured a "good gunfighter" would be a fellow that was willing to do it and not think about the activity.  The mind set will be the defining force driving the skill of the shooter. IMHO

Gamesmen and good shots don't necessarily make for the winning combination but the skill at arms, or lack thereof, cannot be over looked.

Greg

The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 02:23:09 AM »
Most important you must be able to work under pressure .

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 03:34:24 AM »
The quip about the running shoes strikes a cord with me. When in Nam we set up an ambush on a trail. A bunch of non uniformed Viets carrying stuff came down the trail followed by a uniformed NVA with a pistol. The coolies spotted scuff marks we had left when we found the trail. They dropped their loads and high tailed it fast. As far as I know not one of them took a round. The NVA stood and tried to draw his pistol which was also wrapped in plastic. Needless to say he didn't do much good against about 20 guys with M16s and two M60s.

Offline painted horse

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 07:45:29 AM »
I also like the quip..."if you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.." I think that would apply here.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter

Offline hillbill

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 05:33:19 PM »
wow good posts guys! and good reading.i love it. good gun fighters are few and far between im sure. id be the most scared of sumone who had one good rifle or handgun he could shoot quick and accurately.but quick is not near as important as accurate.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 07:24:52 AM »
A good mind makes the difference.
Now--depending on the circumstance at the time of the incidence, the mind, the mindset, readiness, awareness,alertness----whatever you did in the last may not work here and you may not be in the same mindset.
Never be complacent and feel that you did it once, I can do it everytime.
Always approach any opportunity as a new experience and deal with it as a new experience.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD