Author Topic: Spent hulls stick  (Read 896 times)

Offline gotchamel

• Trade Count: (1)
Spent hulls stick
« on: October 09, 2011, 01:04:39 PM »
Did a quick search, only spent hulls stick.I shoot all high brass{turkey loads}Fereral and Winchester.Would the fix on FAQ cure this also?Its a 20 ga Pardner and has been cleaned thourghly.Thanks.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Spent hulls stick
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 01:15:24 PM »
Try the sticky at the top of the page....USH stuck shell problem - FIXED

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gotchamel

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 04:01:06 PM »
Try the sticky at the top of the page....USH stuck shell problem - FIXED

Tim

Thanks,I read it and will try it but unfired shells do not stick just fired shells.Makes me think heat is the difference.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 07:01:53 AM »
Why do you shoot only high brass? Have you tried any low brass to see if they stick too?
FWIW, I had some old high brass stick (I think the head expansion was the issue) and none at all with low brass.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 08:37:14 AM »

Thanks,I read it and will try it but unfired shells do not stick just fired shells.Makes me think heat is the difference.

Brass and hulls expand when fired.  Even after they have cooled down from the firing they will be bigger than the original unfired shell.   Shells and cartridges are just gaskets to keep the hot gases from blowing back through the action.  For them to seal properly they must expand.

If you have a dirty or rough chamber the hulls or casings are likely to stick to the imperfections.   I would do the thing that Tim mentioned though.   You should consider polishing your chamber.   Ever since I started polishing ALL of my guns' chamber to mirror finishes I have yet to have a stuck hull or casing - even with dirty chambers.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 11:42:46 AM »
Mine only ejects spent shells half way.  Some fine steel wool in the chamber on a drill will fix that, but I haven't had time for it. 

Offline gotchamel

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 06:57:19 AM »
Why do you shoot only high brass? Have you tried any low brass to see if they stick too?
FWIW, I had some old high brass stick (I think the head expansion was the issue) and none at all with low brass.
Thanks for the replies guys.I shoot high brass because I turkey hunt only.I suppose I could buy some light loads but really does not matter what they do.I have cleaned thourgouly,the spring trick may be the answer.