Author Topic: Scout Woes  (Read 2517 times)

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Scout Woes
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:56:24 AM »
After reading great reviews on the Scout 44 mag, I picked one up last fall. I hadn't had it to the range until the last couple of months, and have not had any success in getting it to shoot.

I've changed scopes and ammo, and the best I can get is 3 -4 inches at 50 yards.

Anyway, it's on it's way to back to CVA. Hopefully, it will be right when returned.

I've never had any dealings with CVA customer service, I'm hoping to get it back in time for Indiana deer season.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: Scout Woes
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 08:41:34 AM »
most likely the ammo. My scout is doing  1 1/2" - 2" @ 100 yards with 80gr remington ammo. Not bad first only firing 19 shots through it but im hoping the 100gr ammo will tighten things up. If not, i will reload for it. Better to reload anyway and fine tune it

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 01:37:49 PM »
I sent my Scout 44 mag back on October 10th, UPS brought me a new gun this evening.

Notation simply said that during the process of repairing, it was determined that either the complete gun or frame needed replacement.

I hope to get to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots.

Offline OK hunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 04:44:25 PM »
I'm glad they responded within a reasonable amount of time and hopefully have resolved your issues.  Let us know how your new Scout shoots.
Yeah, I'm a rifle looney

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 06:43:36 AM »
Just got back in. I took 30 rounds of one load with me today. The more I shot, the better it grouped. My last few shots were in about 2" at 50 yards.

I'll work on loads for it, hopefully, find on that will at least cut the group size in half.

I have my maxi for opening day, which is this Saturday.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 02:18:30 AM »
I sent my Scout 44 mag back on October 10th, UPS brought me a new gun this evening.

Notation simply said that during the process of repairing, it was determined that either the complete gun or frame needed replacement.

I hope to get to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots.

I would say that that is great customer service. Nice to know if my Scout ever needs a tune-up!

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 01:42:47 AM »
I was able to shoot the Scout yesterday. It looks as if it is gonna shoot Ranchdog 265 gr. cast pretty well! I'll play with the load some later. :)

Offline Default_Required

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 04:18:42 PM »
Parson be sure to keep us updated , I have been fooling around with the idea of the scout in 44 mag, Hows the recoil on it ? I know the rifles are light , but the neices are the ones I have in mind.

DR

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »
Haven't really had much chance to shoot this gun. I hope to try some different loads soon.

Recoil isn't bad. The CVAs have a pretty decent recoil pad on them. Of course, if you reload, you can vary the loads quite a bit.

Offline eugene tott

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 07:06:43 AM »
hi, new member, from what i read here about cva scout 44 mag. i got one. shot my first buck with it  yesterday, so for, mine loves 240 gr. ww and 240 gr. american eagle. 1 inch 3 shot groups. oh, it was an 8 point. i really like the gun.

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 10:32:29 AM »
Welcome eugene. Congrats on your deer.

Offline Retsof

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 06:47:24 AM »
My Scout in 44 magnum may be different but I couldn't get it to shoot at all. At 100 yards I could barely keep it on paper. I had tried at least 6-7 different types of ammo from Hornady, Magtech, Corbon and Winchester Gold. I was hoping the Winchester 250 gr Gold Partition ammo would work, since it is accurate in my Ruger 44 carbine (tube fed) but no luck. Then I bought the relatively cheap Winchester white box 240 gr JSP ammo at Wally World. Guess what, it is very accurate all the way out to 100 yards (I haven't tried to shoot any further). I had read about this ammo in the 44 mag Scout in previous posts but never thought much about it until recently. Live & learn.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 02:55:30 AM »
  I just bought a Scout in .243 Win. off of Gunbroker and will be in my hands by this weekend.  I bought it to compare to the many H & R handi rifles I have.  I have looked at them at Gander Mountain but they have them cocked and with a trigger lock on them so I havent had a chance to really get a feel for there construction or quality yet.  I am hoping find it to be a good shooter and not give any problems that would require me to send it back for repairs.
  I just read a interesting article in the latest Feild & Stream by David Petzal where he evaluates 6 of the low cost entry level bolt guns and mentions the term ODIG.
  That stands for "out the door it goes", In todays manufacturing and best efforts to cut costs and compete with others there is no chance to have a human being tweak, adjust, or do anything outside of the start to finish process in building low cost guns. They have one chance to get it right and out the door it goes.  So sometimes you will be the one who gets the gun that has something out of wack , missing something, or doesnt shoot worth a darn.
  The CVA Scout I bought was under $200.00 and is NIB, I really cant imagine how a rifle can be manufactured , shipped to the USA, shipped to a distributor, shipped to a dealer, then shipped to my FFL dealer and everyone that handles it along the way makes a profit ???   ::) :o ;D    Jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 05:37:14 PM »
Hey I was curious, did CVA just send a new rifle directly to you without sending it to a FFL to do a background check?  Or did you go through a dealer?
I have a 44 mag in SS if that makes and difference and it shoots great with the only load i tried.  300 Grain Hornady XTp loads.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 01:43:44 AM »
jy951       No,  I bought the rifle from a dealer on Gunbroker, It was a regular gunshop that has guns in stock in store ( from pics on the listing ).
I will pick it up from my FFL on friday where I will do the form 4473 and check before taking it home.
 Jed
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,