Author Topic: H&R grips and alternatives  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Bluelick

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: H&R grips and alternatives
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »
I am continually awed by the quantity and quality of information on the internet, and even more so by the generosity of people like you who go out of the way to help by sharing that information!

Thanks Jim!

Offline jim ritchie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2011, 03:20:33 PM »
bluelick,
Just trying to pass along the many favors done for me!
Some of this stuff, especially about the convertibles, I have learned on my own.
But, so much other information I have is all thanks to a couple of guys who got me started when I first became an H&R fanatic.
I am still just a raw beginner, but I pass on to others anything I do know.
Jim Hauff, was kind enough to take me under his wing and answer SO many questions I had, and still have.
Also the late Bill Goforth was so kind in sharing his wealth of knowledge.
I figure if these guys could spend hour after hour helping people out, I can give what little knowledge I have also.
What comes around, goes around!
jim
Deceased 3-31-2012

Offline Bluelick

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 03:33:40 AM »
What do you think would be a fair price range for that 686 at the flea market if they've still got it next time I'm in there?  It has obvious visual wear (would benefit from a good cleaning), and appeared to function properly to the extent I checked it out (let's assume no mechanical problems).  I did not check the bore but for the sake of this assessment let's assume it's at least in good shape, probably not perfect.  Missing the 22lr cylinder.  Loading gate does not work smoothly, seems to hang on the cylinder or something, but works.

Here are some recent GB sales:
1.  This one in "great condition" with both cylinders and the box (in poor condition) sold for $195.  By the way, hard to tell for sure in the pics but I think it has 2 piece grips.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=257004046

2.  This one is described as "This is a clean revolver with about 98% original blue on the 7.5 inch barrel and a clean bright frame. There are very fine condition original wood grips on it.   Mechanically it is in excellent condition in both SA and DA.  It comes with factory 22 lr and 22 mag cylinders. It has an AY serial number prefix indication production around 1986."  Note that this one has one-piece grips.  Started at $195 and sold for $245.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=258635956

3.. NIB sold started at $272.50 and sold for $295.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=250476571

4.  Another NIB 686 sold for it's starting price of $280.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=256666015

5.  This one started at $.99 and sold for $181:  "HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON MODEL 676 CONVERTIBLE - .22 Long Rifle & .22 Magnum caliber, similar the Model 649, except has finger spur on trigger guard, blue/case colored finish, 6 shot, 5 1/2 inch barrel, side load and eject, one piece walnut stock, fixed sights. Mfg. 1975-1980. sn# AU1716**. THIS IS A USED GUN BUT IN GOOD CONDITION. CYLINDER LOCKS TIGHT, HARD DOSKOCIL CASE INCLUDED"  It has the adjustable rear site, so I think it is actually a 686 not a 676, and it said 686 in the auction title.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=253760988

This suggests to me a market value of $250-$300 for NIB or very good condition;  $180-$250 for complete and in good condition.

Given that the 686 at the flea market is a bit rough, and missing one cylinder, what do you think would be a reasonable low offer and a top price?  I know that market value on any individual gun is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller, but I'd appreciate an informed opinion from you and anyone else who may be following this thread.

One way to look at it would be to take $180 as the starting place, then knock off $30 for the condition of the gun and $50 for the missing cylinder, which takes it to $100.  I'd probably buy if for that but I also doubt he'd go that low.  I'm pretty sure he'd sell it for $180 but I don't think it's worth that.

Your thoughts?

Offline jim ritchie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 05:02:51 AM »
My thoughts don't really matter, yours do.
But here goes.
If it was me, I wouldn't even consider dealing with this revolver.
You assume a lot about the condition of the piece.
If it looks well used, it probably is, and if it looks like it needs a good cleaning now, when it is up for sale, chances are that it has needed a good cleaning for a long time.
If they don't care enough to make it look decent to sell, how do you think it was cared for for many years!
If it is a gun you are going to throw in your tackle box, or tool box, maybe.
But even then, there is no excuse for not taking care of it.
You know they are not going to drop to a price you feel is acceptable, so why waste your time dealing with it?
Seems to me you have done your homework, in looking up completed auctions etc.
 Use the info you have learned, and make a decision.
MY best advise?
Spend the money, buy the NIB 686 that is listed on GB right now, and have a QUALITY piece in New condition, that will be very nice, reliable, and last the rest of your life.
This one stands a good chance of being a piece constantly in need of parts/ work, and at the end of the day, you still have a $ 100 gun.
Another large consideration is the missing 22 lr cylinder.
Sounds as if this is going to be a plinker. I personally am a huge 22 mag fan, but I don't shoot much at all anymore.
Mag ammo is very expensive, if you are just going out to kill pop cans!
There is no reason you can't shoot and enjoy a NIB piece, it will maintain it's value well, if you take care of it.
Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it, and at the end of the day, when you clean the revolver, you will have a piece you are proud to own!!
You will be better off in the end.
Jim
Deceased 3-31-2012

Offline Bluelick

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 12:11:11 PM »
Well, Jim, I don't think that could have been better or more wisely said if it had been written by my better angels.  My problem is that I often get mixed up about which angels sit on which shoulder and whisper in which ear!  And when something I'm "sort of looking for" pops up in front of me, I do get tugged around a bit.

I confess I'm reluctant to go after the NIB 686 just because there are people who collect these, and a genuine NIB one doesn't probably come around every day, and I'm really just looking for a good shooter. That and the fact that I would need to pay for it, of course.  And, um, try to explain to my dear wife why I need to buy another pistol!  So, I'll mull that over, but I think you're right about passing on the flea market pistol. 

What I should most likely do is enjoy getting to know the 649 I just got and take it from there.  I guess I could buy the NIB 686 and sell the 649 but with shipping and FFL fees, I'm not sure it works all that well.

Anyway, thanks for some level headed advice!

Bluelick

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 04:28:22 AM »
Bluelick and Jim,
I don't KNOW!   I've never paid much attention to when the grip style changed, it may have been a long drawn out process (over a couple years) but I just plain don't know.  Bill G. may have put that info in his book (I seem to recall something about the grips) but I don't have a copy of his pre-print book, so I can't look it up.  I'll check around and try to find out a date.  I'm thinking Jim's idea of the early 1980's being the change over seems reasonable.

Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline Bluelick

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2011, 04:53:54 AM »
I was at the flea market yesterday and got the serial number off of the 686 with the two-piece grips.  It is BA025xxx, which I think makes it 1984. 

I just mention this by way of adding another data point to our exploration of when the one-piece/two-piece change occurred.

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2011, 06:29:43 AM »
Bluelick,
I agree on the year.  Good info, thanks for sharing - noted and filed.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012