Author Topic: Neck sizing with a FL die  (Read 463 times)

Offline tsigmon

• Trade Count: (0)
Neck sizing with a FL die
« on: October 10, 2011, 01:36:02 PM »
  I have a Handi in .243 that I am having some accuracy  problems with. I have relived the forearm pressure and it helped tremendously. It groups  a little less than 2" with 80 gr bullets but scatters them all over the paper with 100 grs. I want to try neck sizing only to see if that helps any but I only have a full length ( RCBS)  die.  Can I deprime and neck size only with a full length die?  Instructions please if this is possible. Thanks

Tim

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Neck sizing with a FL die
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 01:46:53 PM »
I've done it many times, but it's not a true neck sizing.  Just back the die out enough so it's not setting the case shoulder back at all.  A Lee neck sizer is pretty cheap.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline wncchester

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 04:24:24 PM »
I can virtually assure you that simply neck sizing won't make a 2" shooter into 1".

Try another bullet or three.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 03:27:21 AM »
I would strongly suggest that you go to the NEF forum on this site and read the FAQ.  Tons of info on making the Handi shoot right, most very simple.  Goatwhiskers

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 07:40:31 AM »
It should be called partial full length resizing.  A full length sizing die will typically push the sides of the case in a bit.  That brass has to go somewhere.  It will go to the shoulder pushing the the datum out a bit.  I DO use this technique almost exclusively for my hunting rifles but, I measure the shoulder datum on a once fired case and push the shoulder back to that measurement.  There are several co. that make tools to take this measurement.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 08:36:15 AM »
I load for a couple Handis, and use FL dies. These things can have some tricky chambers and throats.

Easiest way is to have the barrel off the frame, hopefully it's an Extractor type.

The idea is too size the case enough to fit into the barrel/chamber so the head is just flush with the end of the barrel/breach. That's all we can do with the single break actions,, sometimes the shoulder is the limiting factor,, sometimes it's the body,, either way it can be done with the FL die.

Run the Ram up and turn the die down to contact the shell holder, now back off a full turn. Size a case and try fitting it into the chamber, won't fit flush will it?
 Slowly turn the die down in little 1/4-1/8 turns and size again,, try the fit again,, repeat,,

I actually use a feeler gauge between the bottom of the die and the shell holder once I find the sweet spot. An example is my 308, the space between the die an shell holder is .003 for my FL die too make the case fit just flush in the chamber and getting there is alot less than a 1/8 turn from won't fit too fit.
(that's with my die, my press and my chamber,,others milage may vary)

If it's an ejector type you'll have to figure out some way to clamp the ejector down and in so it's not contacting the case head. (just clamping it in can still leave the ejector too high rubbing on the case)

As mentioned, hitting the FAQS on the NEF forum is priceless, check out barrel fit issues, if theres even a small gap at the head/breach area sizing variables can help make the proper fit.

I've found the biggest issue aiding accuracy with the Handi is concentricity, being sure everything with the case/bullet is straight and runout is a minimum.
found elsewhere

Offline Catfish

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 09:25:05 AM »
Try some of the 70 gr. Sierra Match bullets. It is the only Match bullet that Sierra will tell you make a good varmint bullet, as far as I know. Also try seating your bullets out farther. I find that I get my best accuracy with most rifles with the bullet seated to the lands. If you try seating into the lands you must start a lower powder charge and work up again as presures will increase. You can try the partical sizeing, but I doubt it will help accuracy.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 12:08:57 PM »
The .243 Handi-Rifle Superlight is notorious for its reluctance to group well.  Even the regular .243 has given many people fits.  Go to the NEF forum and do a search, or post your question on accuracy there.  Some folks get nice tight groups, others have problems in this caliber.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone