Author Topic: Different spacers  (Read 483 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Different spacers
« on: October 11, 2011, 01:01:17 PM »
Are there different plastic forearm/receiver spacers are were they changed. I have an older model that it is a more solid sturdy plastic. My new models are thin and fragile?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Different spacers
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 01:05:31 PM »
Some pre-'87 spacers were shiny plastic, some older were steel, steel spacers were an accessory at one time as shown in the FAQS, and aftermarket steel spacers are availablle from Toth machine, see the classified sticky.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Brian56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 01:12:20 PM »

There used to be two different  spacers, one was a standard spacer, the other was a slightly larger spacer used on the bull & 10ga. barrels, they are thinner on the edges in order to accommodate the larger bull barrels.  Remington discontinued the standard spacer in order to cut costs without raising prices.

Brian@Remington:
Brian@Remington

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 01:24:36 PM »
There used to be two different  spacers, one was a standard spacer, the other was a slightly larger spacer used on the bull & 10ga. barrels, they are thinner on the edges in order to accommodate the larger bull barrels.  Remington discontinued the standard spacer in order to cut costs without raising prices.

Brian@Remington:

I understand about cutting costs without raising prices but I have to ask... what is going on with the fit and finish on some of the new Handi's and Pardners lately? I don't mean this disrespectfully but it seems like the quality is going downhill. The wood stocks are especially bad... the stain color is very light compared to the dark walnut color of the older stocks and the wood is way oversized where is meets the frame. It's not just appearance issues either. When I got my new 44 mag Handi it came with synthetic stocks and the SB1 frame (as usual for the model) The stocks of course were fine but the finish on the frame is horrible... it's almost powdery instead of being a nice smooth finish and the stock bolt was cross threaded into the frame. I put the barrel on a spare SB2 frame and the new frame is in my gun box waiting for me to get a tap to fix the threads. That kind of stuff just isn't right on a brand new gun. I'll fix it myself... that's not an issue but to someone else it might push them away from the brand altogether.
I know it's not your fault personally but you are our "inside man" here so I'm letting you know.

Spanky

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 05:56:22 AM »
FWIW, I have swapped the std spacers around a little on mine and found that I can (ever so slightly) 'tune' the forearm fit to frame tension. Watch out on those two screws, though, they are butter screws and the Phillips head spins out easy, and the holes in the wood wont take much torque or they strip too.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline mdwest

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 07:32:02 AM »
and the holes in the wood wont take much torque or they strip too.

+1 to this..

I just refinished a stock set on a handi and stripped out the holes.. it was a simple enough fix.. I just filled them with wood putty (packed as much as I possibly could in the holes with a tiny allen wrench), let them set up overnight.. , and then put the screws back in.. good as new..

in H&R's defense.. I was probably the cause of the problem.. the wood wasnt particularly soft, so much as I acted like a gorilla when I was remounting the spacer..

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 07:43:26 AM »
Naw, the wood is soft (but a softer touch on the screwdriver doesnt hurt). Those wood skewers (like big round toothpics) work great for re-doing smaller wood holes like this. Scrape the dia. with your pocketknife to a slip in use some wood ('Elmer's type), tap in a piece a little too long and when it is glued in snip it with a sidecutter and/or knife. Replacement screws with a little more thread depth would be nice too, but about the time I find a good looking screw in the bin the head is too big and I could have plugged the stripped out holes.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 01:29:45 PM »
See the FAQs for screw hole repair.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain