Author Topic: Hank Jr. Fires Back!  (Read 732 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Hank Jr. Fires Back!
« on: October 11, 2011, 04:42:52 PM »
Not only does he fire back but he hits the Bullseye dead center! Hank says what we've all been thinking!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDvBmWOf8m0

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Hank Jr. Fires Back!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 05:22:58 PM »
+1 Bocephus!
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 04:49:43 AM »
that's what happens when the guy you try to make PC just don't give a ---- !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline magooch

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 05:45:20 AM »
I especially liked it when Hank called Obama and company "the enemy." 

Hank Junior is an entertainer who isn't going to lose much by making public political commentary, but I still believe most entertainers are best advised to shut up and sing, or do whatever their talent is, for the sake of their pocket book.  I doubt that many of Hank's fans voted for the mulatto.
Swingem

Offline powderman

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 08:49:21 AM »
Loved it. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 09:10:36 AM »
OOOOPs:  Sorry Sprithawk, I posted the same thing.  I was in a hurry and did not see this post.  Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 09:31:16 AM »
OOOOPs:  Sorry Sprithawk, I posted the same thing.  I was in a hurry and did not see this post.  Rog

No problem. Just proof great minds think alike. ;)

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 09:33:04 AM »
  I happen to see him live on FOX that morning...  I "didn't" see anyone from FOX have their hand up his azz makeing his mouth move and saying what it said.

I like Hank, but in THIS case, he needs to take responsibility for flapping his own yap, saying what he said.

To be honest, that FOX crew looked rather shocked that he said it!  SO, Hank needs to blame Hank!!

DM

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 11:17:55 AM »
IMO when it comes right down to substance It is a Tempest in a Tea Cup.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 11:26:40 AM »
Might have been something else in that tea cup  ;)  last night.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline powderman

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 11:30:08 AM »
To be honest, that FOX crew looked rather shocked that he said it!  SO, Hank needs to blame Hank!!

HEH, maybe they weren't used to hearing the truth. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 01:26:40 PM »
  I happen to see him live on FOX that morning...  I "didn't" see anyone from FOX have their hand up his azz makeing his mouth move and saying what it said.

I like Hank, but in THIS case, he needs to take responsibility for flapping his own yap, saying what he said.

DM

Take blame for what? I don't see where he did anything or said anything wrong other than offering an apology. THAT was a mistake.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 01:54:51 PM »

DM

Take blame for what? I don't see where he did anything or said anything wrong other than offering an apology. THAT was a mistake.

I don't necessarily think he did anything wrong either, but HE thinks someone is to "blame", and so, if there is "blame", it's all his!

DM

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 01:59:10 PM »
He didn't call anyone anything. All he did was compare two very differant people illogicly playing golf together and used an anology;

• comparison: a comparison between two things that are similar in some way, often used to help explain something or make it easier to understand
  • similarity: a similarity in some respects
  • equivalence between independent parts: equivalence in biological function between body parts or organs that have appeared independently in different plants and animals
Besides which he voiced an opinion when asked a question that wasn't even pertinant to the reason he was being interviewed. His only fault not realising he was being set up. Yes Fox had a right to disagree but not to twist his words into meaning something they didn't. In doing so they gave him every right to fire back in defense of himself. Comparing their truth to his.....I'll take his! Seems those that are pro Obama are so sensitive over the fact that they feel the need to cry and scream anytime something has a grain of truth to it. Gee, censorship of political views? Seems Hank Jr. is only touching on the tip of the iceberg! Next they won't be telling you who you should vote for, but instead who you have no choice but to vote for!

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 02:30:16 PM »
What he said needed no apology, and ESPN was wrong in taking it as offensive.  He just made a comparison period.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline powderman

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 03:17:17 PM »
HEH. I posted it on my wifes facebook for the libbies enjoyment. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D

Offline crustylicious

• A Real Regular
  • Reading is fundamental, comprehension optional!
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 06:30:42 AM »
ESPN's decision to part with Hank WilliamsOctober, 12, 2011 By Jason Fry and Kelly McBrideA furor erupted last week after country-music legend Hank Williams Jr. compared President Barack Obama to Adolf Hitler. By the end of the week, ESPN had severed ties with the longtime curtain-raiser for “Monday Night Football,” a decision that resulted in no small amount of controversy -- as well as a new Hank Jr. song.

ESPN’s decision makes sense in light of its policy on political advocacy and how it has handled similar incidents in the recent past. And, according to one of ESPN’s top executives, it didn’t help that Williams didn’t seem to understand why his comments were a big deal.

On Oct. 3, Williams appeared on the show “Fox and Friends” and said the summer’s “golf summit” featuring House Speaker John Boehner and Obama was “one of the biggest political mistakes ever ... it would be like Hitler playing golf with [Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu.”

When one of the Fox hosts said he didn’t understand the analogy, Williams said, “They’re the enemy. ... Obama. And [Vice President Joe] Biden. Are you kidding? The Three Stooges.” Later in the segment, when it was noted he’d invoked Hitler’s name in apparent reference to Obama, Williams said, “That is true, but I’m telling you like it is.” (You can see the clip here.)

John Skipper, ESPN executive vice president of content, told Poynter that after seeing the clip, he and a number of other executives “made a fairly quick decision” to drop the Williams intro from that night’s “Monday Night Football.” Then, Skipper said, they decided to “gather more information from all parties involved."

That additional information took the form of two public statements from Williams. On Monday, after ESPN’s decision not to run the opener, Williams posted a statement on his website that read in part, “I was simply trying to explain how stupid it seemed to me -- how ludicrous that pairing was. ... I have always respected the office of the President.”

The next day, Williams followed with another statement: “I have always been very passionate about Politics and Sports and this time it got the Best or Worst of me. The thought of the Leaders of both Parties Jukin and High Fiven on a Golf course, while so many Families are Struggling to get by simply made me Boil over and make a Dumb statement and I am very Sorry if it Offended anyone."

Skipper said ESPN interpreted Williams’ first statement as saying he’d been misunderstood, while his second one didn’t amount to a real apology.

"We reached a decision [last] Wednesday night,” Skipper said. “We felt it was inappropriate to have that song be the opener for ‘Monday Night Football’ given that for a period of time [the Hitler analogy] will be the overwhelming association with Hank. He has every right to voice his opinions, and we have every right to disassociate ourselves from him."

(ESPN also explored the topic on “Outside the Lines” last week.)

ESPN has established policies on political advocacy -- and previously, ESPNers have found themselves in a media tumult after invoking Hitler. ESPN “discourages public participation in matters of political advocacy or controversy among editorial employees, contributors and public-facing talent” and warns that “correspondents, producers, editors, writers, public-facing talent and those involved in news assignments and coverage must avoid being publicly identified with various sides of political issues.”

That policy came up in separate incidents this summer, when ESPN publicly reprimanded golf analyst Paul Azinger for a satirical tweet about how many jobs Obama had created and reportedly spoke privately with Kenny Mayne about a tweeted joke about almost ramming a car with a Sarah Palin bumper sticker “with intent.”

Williams wasn’t an ESPN employee; Skipper said ESPN had a year-to-year contract with Williams to record versions of “All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight” and license it for the opener. (A rewritten version of “Rowdy Friends,” which was first recorded in 1984, had opened “Monday Night Football” since 1989.) But while he wasn’t an employee, Williams’ association with “Monday Night Football,” and therefore with ESPN, qualified him as public-facing talent.

As for invocations of Hitler, the two most infamous of recent vintage at ESPN involve columnist Jemele Hill and coach-turned-college football analyst Lou Holtz.

In June 2008, Hill sought to tease Detroit Pistons fans who had taken to rooting for the Boston Celtics against the Los Angeles Lakers, writing that rooting for the Celtics “is like saying Hitler was a victim.” Later that year, on “College GameDay,” Holtz was discussing the need for leadership among players in the locker room and said, “Let's remember this: Hitler was a great leader, too. There are good leaders and bad leaders."

Hill apologized and was suspended for a week; Holtz apologized on the air the next day but was not suspended.  (Le Anne Schreiber, in her role as ESPN ombudsman, examined the two cases in a November 2008 column.)

Williams’ comments clearly violated ESPN’s policy on political advocacy, but the real problem is that his invocation of Hitler went much further than either Hill’s or Holtz’s did. Hill was poking Pistons fans in a cartoonish way, while Holtz was offering a clumsy warning about good leaders and bad leaders. The comparison wasn’t a good idea in either case, but neither made the kind of explicitly political statement Williams did.

Yes, the singer’s initial statement on “Fox and Friends” was an analogy, but given a chance to clarify his remarks, Williams didn’t back away from talk of Hitler, portraying Obama and Biden as “the enemy.”

On the same day ESPN cut ties with him, Williams posted a new statement on his site: “After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision. By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It's been a great run.” Over the weekend, the singer recorded “Keep the Change,” an updated version of his own  song that jabbed at both “Fox and Friends” and ESPN.

As an aside, Williams’ statement about his decision mixed up the First Amendment with the more general principle of freedom of speech, an error many of his supporters made as well in their emails -- which number in the thousands -- to the Poynter Review Project mailbag. The First Amendment forbids the government from restricting freedom of speech but says nothing about what kind of speech one’s employer or business associate must tolerate.

ESPN chose not to tolerate Williams’ speech, effectively ending a long-standing relationship that had seemed destined to continue.

"If this had not happened, there’s no reason to think we would not have brought the song back next year,” Skipper said. http://espn.go.com/blog/poynterreview/post/_/id/139/espns-decision-to-part-with-hank-williams
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and the wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell
"The speaking in perpetual hyperbole is comely in nothing but love" Francis Bacon, Sr.
Voting is like driving a car- choose (D) to go forward- choose (R) to go backwards!
When all think alike, no one thinks very much. Albert Einstein