Author Topic: .45-70 vs. 416 Rigby  (Read 37965 times)

Offline straydog

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: .45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #150 on: February 29, 2008, 12:32:25 PM »
  Fellow Big Bore Lovers,
Boy oh Boy after reading all these posts, I just got to get in on this topic.
For the 45-70 Lovers(which I am one) I know what I will do if I EVER do go
for DG in Africa.I will just take off my 22inch barrel and put on my 32 incher
that costs me a whole $170 including sights.( you can spend $200 for the new gun
also if you don't have one,and even if you never do go to Africa keep it for a all purpose
pickup truck rack gun! (just think were doing it with half the pressure on the gun also)  
The average velocity gain with the extra 10 inches depending on bullet is aprox 400-460 FPS
Add that to your Corbon/Buffalo Bore/Garrett etc. and now we are talking.Cheap cost for Gun and
Ammo and it will rock anything walking.Yes I know some people will say 32 inch barrel is long
but I can handle it no problem.You would be surprised how fast you can load single shots with some pratice and its very reliable.If allot of guys and some gals can use a BOW/HANDGUN/MUZZLELOADER I don't have any doubt my H&R SB2-S57 will work for me.I would take both barrels.Also those guys who love their other Cals-thats fine too.Keep on Shooting.   STRAYDOG            

Offline efremtags

• Contributor
« Reply #151 on: February 29, 2008, 01:03:16 PM »
Stray Dog, I find it hard to believe a 400+FPS gain can be made with this gun. It is more like 20FPS per ", so a 10" gain may give real world something like 200FPS fain over shorter gun. That's nothing to sneeze at as that's a 425GR at about 2050FPS for something like 3700FTlbs energy (off the top of my head not calculated).  Still hunting DG with a single shot may be a little too exciteing for me. Speed is what you can do under pressure from being potentially killed not at home shooting cans....

Offline straydog

« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2008, 06:45:31 AM »
.375 H&H best Caliber in the whole world????????????????
Man,most of the game I see taken on outdoor networks or hear about the dude
has to shoot the animals 3-6 times with the .375. Even the warthogs it seems it takes about 3 to
keep em down.In all honesty you cant beat a LARGE BORE 45 CAL bullet(400-540 grs)
for the big DG stuff. The difference is like shooting  something with 38 special then shooting  the next one with a 45acp?? Big difference. Also I handload most my 45-70 stuff, CHEAP COST
I will grant you for medium sized game at long distances,I do like my 7mm or 300 win mag with the
Sierra gameking bullets.but for big stuff that bites/stomps/gores use a BIG BORE/BIG BULLET.
You will only usually only need 1 or 2 not 4 or 5.All I know my close friend shot a 375  Lb black Bear
last year in Quebec right in the boiler room,it took 3 shots and went 250 yards?
Same hunting trip his nephew shot a 475 Lb aggressive bear, same area/approx same distance  with a 430g Buffalo Bore 45-70,went 15 feet and dropped like it was hit with a 500 pound sledge hammer.
They said the exit hole on the 45/70 was around 2.5 to 3 inches,They said you could put a
soda can inside.  Give me my Buffalo Classic 45-70 with the big stuff anyday-Thanks-Straydog       

Offline straydog

« Reply #153 on: March 01, 2008, 07:19:24 AM »

EFREMTAGS,
 All I can say is we used a Pact Chronograph bought from  Cabelas and tried checking
the Guns Velocity with both barrels on several different occasions under approx.same
conditions and we came up with and average of 428FPS.checked each others math.
I will tell you what, when the weather breaks I will take items back to range and try to video
it and put it on you tube. I was surprised it gained that much myself?
As for the single shot with all the different guns I own,I have always felt the most comfortable
with the break open singles.I admit I would try a double rifle though.
Last comp.shooting match I went to was a special event where you could use any Gun/Scope etc.
just so you did not have a sling.50 yards offhand/5 shots/1 minute timed event. no rimfires though.
I was going to take my comp match HBAR but I took for fun my 7mm mag Model 70XTR
Because that gun every once in a while don't return empty case with bolt(takes several attempts)
only when there are rounds in Magizine but single mode its fine,I stuck the other 4 halfway sticking
out of my pocket shooting each of 5 single action style,ended winning it.Needless to say the guys
beside me with their National match comp M1As were not pleased being beat by a open sighted
hunting rifle.I don't THINK I would have a problem using single action??  See ya -Straydog

Offline JJHACK

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.huntingadventures.net
« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2008, 07:26:02 AM »
Have you ever actually sat down and spoken with a Professional hunter who has seen all the big guns used and had him share his thoughts on how various cartridge and bullet combinations work? Have you ever interacted with a group of Professional hunters over dinner, or around a camp fire talking about experiences and bullet, cartridges, rifles, etc. ? Would it mean anything to you if you did, or are the opinions you have formed so deeply rooted in your mind that there is nothing/nobody else you can learn from? I think some of the most educational moments in my life have been while chit chatting with others doing the same work I do, when we are all speaking of events, and equipment that we all-------- to a man-------- agree on. It's gotta be factual and not a fluke when 5-6 PH's with over 100 years combined experience and 1000's of big to VERY big game animals harvested all feel the same way about certain things.  

Or are you basing your thoughts on the 375HH and other cartridges simply from a few folks who have been there once or twice on a recreational sport hunt and seen a couple dozen animals shot? I've been doing this in Africa now for 15 years and before that Alaska for almost 20 years. There was a lot of overlap when I was doing both locations.

Many opinions based on a limited sample size can give rather poor data in the end. However when you increase that sample size to 1000's of big game animals over 20 years of professional hunting, there is a certain clarity that leaves you with a crystal clear opinion on the things that work and can be depended upon, and those that do not.
www.huntingadventures.net
jjhack@huntingadventures.net

Offline straydog

« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2008, 08:47:58 AM »

JJHACK,
 One thing is for sure I have better manners than you.your seem like a pampas person.
Listen, as I stated before to each their own.I could care less about your so called expertize.
You are the type of person that talks big but probably cannot shoot for crap.
I would like to know can you shoot 10 shot 6-8 inch groups OFFHAND constantly with open sights.I CAN
and I CAN BACK IT UP.
I BET you CANNOT.How about I set something up and you can show some of us your great
talents.Don't begrudge some of these people for wanting to use their favorite HOT LOADED 45-70 with big Bullets if that's what they want to use.
I have seen too many so called professional people that constantly try to remind THEMSELVES
how good they THINK they are.If I had my way when you go on a hunt,I would not have or need
someone like you to TRY and back me up.My chances of getting shot in the butt are better than
you PROTECTING me.I don't need your smart butt/bigshot wannabe influence.  Straydogll   

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2008, 08:58:32 AM »
What is it about the 45-70 that makes people crazy?  Seriously, it's like if you question the 45-70 people come boiling out of the woodwork picking fights.  Is it some sort of cult or something?

Offline straydog

« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2008, 09:26:30 AM »

DUkkILLR,
  No honestly it does not make people like me crazy,but you have to realize that the 45-70
is so underrated to so many people its not funny. it has the old western stigma and it does
not get the credit it deserves.People have hunted African game with .475/500S&W/454Casull etc.
We the owners of 45-70 guns do not like some idiot stating that a 430 gr @ 2350FPS or a 500gr@
2150FPS wont take down DG.Tell you what I have a single shot 50 BMG for 1500 yard comp.
maybe you guys think I should use that. I think the 45-70 even with the 22 inch barre would work.
Anyone that KNOWS ANYTHING about shooting or hunting will tell you if that person is
completely used to using a weapon on a constant basis and can be very accurate with it that's what
they should use.In the Meantime I am going to check with the government of Africa if a 45-70 gun
that can indeed show these ballistics can be used or not.If not so be it.I have a 416 Weatherby V
BTW-its good for JJHACK we don't go physical.

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2008, 09:53:16 AM »
The argument of the 45-70 as being as good as the .458 Win is the same as one makes between the 7x57 and the 7mm mag.  At no time will the 45-70 equal the .458 Win.  In all fairness to JJ, he has repeatedly stated to bring whatever you like on a DG hunt to Africa and if it is legal to use, to go for it.  In all fairness to JJ, how many DG have you shot under duress, where the game is intent on killing you and you have only one chance to stop it before it does?  In all fairness to JJ, how many of those offhand shots were taken while looking down the sights at teeth, tusks or horns with extreme malice against you?  You may be the best offhand shot in the world, but rattle under pressure, so the shot is hurrried or missed.  I'm not saying you are, but you might be, if you have never shot any DG anywhere.  So before one gets his hackles up and tries to attempt to tell a man who has, a person might want to listen to what that person has to say about rifles, calibers, and actually hunting outcomes on DG between different calibers.  You may not care what professionals have to say about hunting, but I would dearly love to see what you could do on the ocean in command of your own boat and crew, after commanding only a bass boat on a lake.  You had better listen to professionals then, or your life and the lives of others are in severe jeopardy.  And sir, that is manners.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline straydog

« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2008, 10:33:24 AM »

" No" that is not manners what you say because you do not know me and my capabilities/experience.
To make a statement that because a person is say an Distinguished Expert Rifleman at
MANY different yardages along with taking many types of North American game/ BIG BEARS/Russian Boar/ Mountain Lion/etc. being scared/nervous of Africa's game being a great shot wont help,I beg to differ sir.
I say yes if there is some nerves going on and instead of shooting inside 3 inches now you shoot inside
5 inches its still better than someone that has a BIG 470 Nitro and is not as nervous being lucky to shoot
inside a seat cushion size area.
Trust me when you are sitting in the Alaskan Wilds in a large clump of trees and within 60 yards you
feel/smell/and sort of taste a Very Large brown bear Boar coming to you until you get a shot at 40yards
I think that proves the nerve factor.By the way, a big vegtable eating horned wild bull is not  going to be a bigger puffer factor.and yes I used a 45-70 Marlin 24inch levergun with 420 gr hardcast max handloads.
2 shots,I think only 1 was needed but I put in the second because the moaning that I swear almost
deafened me.     Stradog

Offline deltecs

« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2008, 10:53:37 AM »
Straydog, I do live in Alaska and have for over 40 years.  I live in Prince William Sound, very remote, and I have seen, been, and done the scenario, you have just written about.  Probably more times than I care to think about.  And I didn't have a 45-70.  It was a 30-06 and I didn't feel ungunned or nervous at all.  My point was only to give the experts their due, by evaluating their years of experience on DG.  I would no more tell a doctor how to take out a malignant cancer, than to try and tell a professional hunter, who has seen more DG shot with a variety of calibers, that the 45-70 is ultimate for this purpose.  It may and probably is sufficient in the right hands and under the right circumstances.  I prefer not to use it on DG.  To get the velocity you quoted, it is obvious that you are not using factory ammo.  What loading data are you using to achieve these results in this rifle?  What are the maximum pressure limits of the load?  Are they within the limits of the case and rifle?  Have you tried to fire and then eject this load at temperatures exceeding 110 F?  In the same rifle you would take to Africa for DG?  If you can answer these questions, then the 45-70 at this loading should be fine for DG hunting, since it is extemely comparable to rounds that are. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline persistentprogrammer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2008, 10:55:35 AM »
Howdy Fellas
I absolutely enjoy reading this forum [Hunting in Africa], I get to dream and visualize about the African game hunt. It brightens my day and gives me trips to forward to someday, I hope.

No doubt JJ is a subject matter expert and no doubt straydog is too. However that may be, we humans will always butt heads when the subjects blend together.

I look forward to reading more posts from you straydog, I think you have several I'd like to hear about, but please don't get so personal.

Offline deltecs

« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2008, 12:40:18 PM »
We the owners of 45-70 guns do not like some idiot stating that a 430 gr @ 2350FPS or a 500gr@
2150FPS wont take down DG.

I'd like to quote Barnes reloading manual #2 for the 45-70 in Ruger #1 WITH a 29.5" barrel.  The fastest load with a 400 grain bullet is 1934 fps.  Your quote above indicates a 430 gr at 2350 fps in a 45-70.  That's over 400 fps faster in only 2 1/2" barrel length difference.  The Barnes load is listed for maximum pressure of 50,000 CUP at 1934 fps, so just exactly what pressures are you shooting in the 45-70, with handloads that achieve 2350 fps with a 430 gr?  There is no doubt the SB2 is a strong action, but it is no where near as strong as the falling block, and I'm curious as to extraction in hot weather with loads this hot.  The .458 Win with a case 17.78 grs more capacity than the 45-70, shoots a 500 gr at 53,000 CUP at 2200 fps, so the pressures in the load you get with a 500 gr at 2150 fps must be high indeed.

Greg
deltecs

Offline straydog

« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2008, 01:19:33 PM »

DELTECS,
 First off let me say you are a better man than me to be that close in deep woods
within 40 yards of a big brownie boar with a 30- 06 and not be nervous.Man I swear
when that thing started moaning the ground shook.Anyway that barnes Manual I feel
they still not supplying full rated loads.My factory corbons 430gr were clocking 1975-1987fps
out of my 22inch barrel and 2040fps out of my stainless Ruger #1 45-70
With that long 32 inch barrel I was right around 2350FPS,same with my friends BC.
Anyway my special load I use is 53.2 gr  IMR 3031 with a 500 gr round nose Hornady.
Out of my 22 inch 1820FPS/the Ruger#1 1890FPS and the Long Barrel 2148FPS
I am telling you I cannot believe how well that synthetic H&R is.Honest to god I think it
is as good as my Rugers.They really have changed those guns over the last several years.
For 80 bucks apeice you can get the extra barrels in like 500 S&W/300 Win Mag/7mm mag
270/30-06/444/etc. I have has no signs of any pressure wear,and were talking around 48000PSI
Well if it is chambered for full house 500S&W whats that tell you? I am getting that barrel in
a couple weeks,you have to send the receiver in and they fit the barrel all for $80???
I am hearing with the extra barrel length they are shooting 440gr up to 2300FPS OUCH!!
My 500 gr 45-70 is bad enough,that 416 Mark V kicks like heck and its too pretty to hunt with.
About the temp I honestly don't know,
I just retired at 50 after 31 years where I worked on the Presidential Helicopter and on missile systems
so maybe I will really get back into comp shooting but it takes up so much time,I don't know.
    Anyway if I disrespected that JJHACK I apologize,I just got cranked up after reading some of the
previous posted of his with the other people. Anyway Good Hunting to All     Straydog     

Offline deltecs

« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2008, 02:12:57 PM »
I've had a lot of experience around big bear.  In 1972, I worked for Ak Dept of Fish and Game doing salmon stream surveys.  This is where you walk up one bank and down the other physically eyeballing and counting the salmon in the stream.  The average of the 2 counts was a fair representation of escapement for the biologists to manage the fishery.  The rifles I carried were an '06 or .300 H&H.  The 300 H&H was liked by the other surveyor, so I used the '06 with 220 gr RN with confidence in its and my capability.  I've seen 19 LARGE BROWN BEAR, all at the same time on Hinchinbrook Island in Port Etches, all within 150 yards.  It was on several occasions during these surveys that this has happened.  The bear would come out of the woods behind me or across the stream from me and I'd get surrounded.  Seeing 2-3 brown bear per stream was not uncommon at all.  I'm suire that JJ hunting in SE Alaska has had similar occasions.  Just back up to large tree and get ready for anything to happen.  I've never HAD to shoot a brown bear, but was more than ready to with the '06.  I've only had to shoot 6 black bear in my years in the bush.  Even today though, I do not leave my front door without being armed for possible bear attack, if only with a handgun.  And I've got a black bear population around me second to none.  I realize this forum is about African Hunting and appologize for being side tracked by the 45-70 v .416 debate.  However, the debate got to using one or the other with NA DG.  No problem, Straydog.

Greg
deltecs

Offline efremtags

• Contributor
« Reply #165 on: March 02, 2008, 03:27:12 AM »
straydog,

I agree with your sentiments about the attitude that comes accross in the Africa posts in general. I am not a professional hunter, though I am a professional in my career, and I know for a fact If I talked to people the way some professionals did in this post, I would be out of a job. Extensive personal experience counts for a lot, but the limited experiences of many combined together can count for just as much.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I believe at best the 45-70 is 2/3rds the potential of a true distinguished stopper caliber. I think if people will hunt with it, they will not be disappointed. I think the illusion of it being a DG stopper is really a myth as i would not want a guide in africa backing me up with this caliber as it has real limitations in this application. I think a lot of the PH myth dispelling is in this area, but it comes accross wrong.

I also think that legal minimums are just that, minimum. That means a 375 will not provide superior performance, just adequate. It appeal is that is is versatile as a long distance shooter and a DG caliber. It excells at neither, but performs both. I think a 300WM and a 458Lott would be better at both, but thats 2 guns instead of 1.

I like the 45-70 because I tend to shoot closer than most (haven't shot anything passed 60 yards in my life except varmints), so I will use it within its limitations and be happy with that.

I believe your velocity claims as you have confirmed measurements, but I think you should reconsider the pressure limits within your rifle as you have not confirmed measurements to verify this. I have discussed pressure limits and traditional signs of them with many people and it is fact, in a tight chamber, it is possible to greatly exceed the SAMMI specs without traditional signs of pressure. It is possible to bring a load to near catastrophic results without visual signs, then exceed them catastrophically without warning. Its like a bridge that fails catastrophically, it stays up right up to the point that it falls down, very little difference in between. I think this is why people like Garret load their ammo well within the 40kPSI limits. If you need more power, use a different caliber.

I personally use nothing but H322 in my loads as I found they are very temperature stable. It definitely will not produce the fastest loads, but it will produce the most temperature stable loads and most pressure consistent loads. I have seen 50FPS differences per " of barallel length. This is most notable when moving from short carbines to traditional barallel lengths. I found there is a point of diminishing returns passed 28", thus my reserved doubts about 400+FPS claims in 32" length. I bet if you switched to factory ammo your load would not show near the gain you have resulted in between say 18.5" and 32".

To bring this back to the Thread subject line, I think at close range the 45-70 has an advantage over the 416 with 420 solids in penetration capability, and reasonable stopping power. As an overall caliber, the 416 is more versatile in all respects (better trajectory, better performance with SP ammo, slightly more power. )

Offline JJHACK

• A Real Regular
« Reply #166 on: March 02, 2008, 05:01:00 AM »
Here are my two recent posts on this topic, neither are rude or condescending. One is a gracious offer to take you with any weapon you choose, no criticism at all. The other is requesting some data on how you came to think the 375HH is such a failure in the hands of a sport hunter or professional. Neither post has anything to do with the 45/70 or any special loads you may have for it. I simply don't care about this debate because it's not at all relevent to me. People from all around trhe world hunt with me and use everything you can imagine. My curiosity was simply in how anyone could come to the conclusion that the 375HH was a failure as a carttridge used in Africa for big or Dangerous game.
Here are the last two unedited posts, help me out here with how I was degrading to anyone, or to the choice of the 45/70. You see in both posts I have asked questions, not made or shared opinions about a particular cartridge or rifle. One last thing for the record. I'm a licensed Professional Hunter having graduated from the academy and getting through the 50% failure rate for the marksmanship requirement. I'm not the best shooting PH in the world, However none of my clients have been killed or injured. I also am not boastfull about this as the academy requirements stand on their own as the worlds standard for dangerous game marsmanship.

You can hunt Buffalo with me and use anything you like, handgun, archery, rifle, muzzleloader, you pick and we hunt! I had two hunters in 2007 hunt buffalo with black powder both killed nice bulls. Let me know, I'm booking for 2008 and the season is close to filled now. I have only space from Mid June on now. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you ever actually sat down and spoken with a Professional hunter who has seen all the big guns used and had him share his thoughts on how various cartridge and bullet combinations work? Have you ever interacted with a group of Professional hunters over dinner, or around a camp fire talking about experiences and bullet, cartridges, rifles, etc. ? Would it mean anything to you if you did, or are the opinions you have formed so deeply rooted in your mind that there is nothing/nobody else you can learn from? I think some of the most educational moments in my life have been while chit chatting with others doing the same work I do, when we are all speaking of events, and equipment that we all-------- to a man-------- agree on. It's gotta be factual and not a fluke when 5-6 PH's with over 100 years combined experience and 1000's of big to VERY big game animals harvested all feel the same way about certain things. 

Or are you basing your thoughts on the 375HH and other cartridges simply from a few folks who have been there once or twice on a recreational sport hunt and seen a couple dozen animals shot? I've been doing this in Africa now for 15 years and before that Alaska for almost 20 years. There was a lot of overlap when I was doing both locations.

Many opinions based on a limited sample size can give rather poor data in the end. However when you increase that sample size to 1000's of big game animals over 20 years of professional hunting, there is a certain clarity that leaves you with a crystal clear opinion on the things that work and can be depended upon, and those that do not.

Offline straydog

« Reply #167 on: March 02, 2008, 07:15:26 AM »
  Guys,
Thanks for all the info.
 deltecs-- all I can say is how I would love to live where you do,it must be amazing.I am sure
you know your way around brownies better than most by far.
 efremtags-I will surely keep a close eye out on my 45-70 loads and maybe back them down
a little and heed your recommendations.
 jjhack- maybe we got off on the wrong foot,but I am willing to start over with no hard feelings.
 I will tell you honestly I really don't know that much about the .375 H&H,but I think it goes back
to when I was about 7 years old I went to see one of those movies showing several different
PH,s killing big game.I remember one of the PH showed what would happen to an Alaskan moose
when shot with a 12 gauge double barrel 00buck both barrels at once.He crept up to about 20-30
yards and let the huge moose that was standing in a marshy pond have it both barrels.It looked like
smoke which was probably dust came pouring out of its ears and it dropped in the water right then
and right there.its eyes bulged like you wouldn't believe.Anyway towards the end of the movie
a PH said now I am going to be taking a polar bear with a 375H&H Mag.He shot the bear about
125 yards away behind the front shoulder and in the snow and with the bears for you could see
impact.the bear put up his snout and turned and started for the PH,the PH fired again and the bear
do not even slow down.You could see the impact shot front chest with blood but that bear kept
coming straight for the PH.The PH fired again and the bear went down sliding on ice,did a spin
and went back for the PH,The PH fired again by now the bear was about 40 feet from the PH
and this time it put a real hurt on him.it did not get up but was pulling itself with its claws on the
ice towards the PH with an unreal blood trail.As the PH was backing up LOADING his gun the
bear at one point made a lunge and ALMOST got the PH with his claws trying to pull in the
PH,he then fired point blank and finished it.My brother and myself back then were  stunned.
Even when I started hunting Bear at 12  in the Pa mountains I thought about that.

It just seems MOST of the times I see the big animals getting hit with the .375 they just
don't seem as affected as with the other guns?I acknowledge this is in outdoor Mags/TV shows
not in person so I will give you That.
Trust me I am no idiot and I don't think the 45-70 is better or maybe not as good as some
for stopping the Big Guys but it seemed there was allot of talk saying how poor this round
is. I just think it if need be do  pretty well with the right load.No maybe not out do the others??
     I don't know, I just have always been the type that really don't like the thought of using PH
doing most of the work in finding/pursuing/and taking big game.I always think to myself why not
just let them shoot it too.I have had great success at least here in North America/Canada taking,
4 Black,2 brown bear/about 60-75 deer/6 Russian Boar/3 Mountain Lion/ 3 elk/1 moose all unguided.

I understand if you have to be guided in Africa then I expect that is what has to be done
and probably for most of the occasions maybe that's best.I guess I could take my Weatherby
.416 Mark V but this gun is exceptional and I hate to mark it all up.
It just seemed with all that HAVE YOU /HAVE YOU THAT stuff in the one response it
seemed a little non respectful but maybe I am wrong on this and I stand corrected if I am
and apologize if I seemed rude myself.Anyway good Hunting and stay alive out there.Straydog       

Offline JJHACK

• A Real Regular
« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2008, 07:47:50 AM »
There is a hella big misconception with Professional Hunters if you think they will hold the hunter by the hand and point out what should be shot.

I'm sure we could do that, however that is not much fun. My PH's will do as much or as little as you want. I've taken dozens of hunters where the PH was simpley a driver making sure they did not get lost, or in any trouble. If you want advise you have  a great resource at your fingertips, if you choose to judge that animal and pick the one you want to shoot completely on your own, heck that would be great for us. No stress to make sure you get great trophies this way!

My operation  can provide the bare legal minimum for you, if you choose. In nearly every aspect of the hunt you're on your own. But lets also be realistic about the expectations. For a fella that has never been there before , nor has he hunted any of these species, is it really prudent to try and figure everything out on your own in the 10 days to two weeks you're there?

I'm a professional hunter for my whole adult life. However when I go fishing in the Florida Keys for 5-6 days I would be a fool not to hire a local fishing guide to make the most of my time with the best equipment available. The value of a local expert cannot be underestimated.

Offline straydog

« Reply #169 on: March 01, 2008, 12:14:51 PM »

JJHACK,
  Based on that I agree with you. Its nice to know that you run your operation that way.
 Heck I might even try one of your guided hunts.I just don't want someone telling me
we are going to do this hunt by me doing this and that,but I am not above definitely
asking a knowlegable person helpful information.
Call me a fool but I would rather come home with NOTHING but memories which are a lot,
than not being able to do most of the hunt myself.
So who knows maybe sometime I will give it a shot.  anyway thanks for the info.
     see ya----Straydog

Offline RAC

« Reply #170 on: March 05, 2008, 06:02:20 AM »
In my experience, when someone beats their chest and struts around like a bantam rooster, then that means they ain't got nothing to back it up.  Most of the BS straydog has posted is from his secondhand "experience" watching tv hunting shows, movies when he was 7, and hearsay from other hunters.  Not only that but he worked on the Presidential helicopter and missile systems.  To say my BS meter is pegged out is an understatement.  Straydog, you sure you ain't a 12 year old boy?  I think you mother is calling you.

Offline straydog

« Reply #171 on: March 05, 2008, 09:55:32 AM »

Rac,
 Man oh Man, Take about crazy ignorant fools.
First let me be clear I DO NOT think the 45-70 is a better stopper than a 416
I am just speaking for myself stating the fact that if need be the 45-70 with HOT
loads used in a weapon that can fire them such as a Ruger SS #1 or the Handi
will shoot a 400 gr bullet at least 2100fps or more and that you fool is what the
404 Jeffery/(450/400 NE)shoots, same specs.
Modern Technology has also developed bullets that provide excellent penetration
on any that needs shooting.
Yes you are correct about me only watching TV/reading books on African Hunting
and I admit JJHACK knows a heck of allot more about it than myself but there is no
doubt in my mind that a 400 gr bullet at 2100+ fps wont kill anything that walks.
Know on the point of my work(retirement) this makes me smile that you feel that this
is such a great career,it shows you are probably some stupid/ignorant fool that has a
crap/trash job if one at all. Showing this is such a strech you you you poor guy.iYou know I
am just smiling to myself/patting myself on the back because I am still young and RETIRED.
How about you,you fool, how are doing in life????
To the other readers I apologize for this idiot and his self limited opinion of himself.
Straydog   

Offline straydog

« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2008, 10:31:39 AM »

JJHACK,
Sorry about my last response above.Maybe next year I(and a couple of friends) can book
a hunt with you for some plains game. I will bring the Ruger#1 45-70 and
my 300 win mag.if ok. We can talk about things over a campfire etc. Somehow everything
has gotten out of hand.I will greatly appreciate your knowledge/as a PH
I can even then give proof that my profession above is as I say, but I do not wish to do
it hear and now because I think the guy above is some kind of wack job.
   Straydog 

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2008, 07:56:50 AM »
First open Dec 29 2002
last post Mar. 2008
this should be made into a move
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2008, 06:48:17 PM »
First open Dec 29 2002
last post Mar. 2008
this should be made into a move

A movie?  Really?  I've been thinking that this thread needs to be trotted out to the woods behind the barn and put out of its misery.  I don't think I'd watch the movie, not even borrowed from the public library.  Kudos to JJ for his endless wellspring of patience.  I've moderated forums before, and I'd have put this thread down long ago, or at least closed it to new posts.  Graybeard has a moderators only forum, or it did when I moderated lever guns, and I have to wonder what they're saying over there about some of the posts on this thread.

JJ, thanks for providing a reliable voice of reason and experience.  Don't ever change. 
NRA life member

Offline straydog

« Reply #175 on: March 08, 2008, 11:17:45 AM »

Guns of all calibers come and go
           All the game to be taken who can know
           Sure with some of the hunts theres a danger
           But this is the right task for the right ranger
           Feel a thrill and do the deal,do it without plea
           For one has no worry because of his 45-70

Here is one for you to take behind the old ole woodshed and put to rest Leverfan

Straydog  ( 45-70 forever because there is NONE better!)   

Offline JJHACK

• A Real Regular
« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2008, 08:04:51 AM »
With all due respect to the players in this thread, you have to see the reaction, or lack of reaction to bullet impact on some of these larger, adrenalin filled animals to fully grasp the magnitude of the event.

Although I've been involved with only many dozens of Buffalo hunts, not the big numbers of some of the more "famous" people who have done this 100's of times, It's been frequent enough to click with me mentally and allow me the education to grasp what is involved. Nobody here, or anyplace I have read so far has said that a Buffalo or other dangerous game species cannot be killed with a 45/70.

That is,... not now, nor has it ever been( in my mind) any issue. What has been the issue from the hundreds of posts I have read on this is the mistaken idea that a 45/70 is somehow equal or to some even greater then the performance of other more well accepted DG cartridges, like the 375HH, 416, or 458 win mag.

The misconception for many people involved with these threads is simply that they have never seen or experienced how fast, and confused the situation becomes. How people scatter through the thorn filled bush, yell, scream, and panic.

When you see your client shoot and hit a buffalo dead center in the chest, and it spins around and looks at you, hesitates for that split second while you are yelling to shoot again, but before the words are out of your mouth the bull has closed another 20 yards and now this now becomes very dangerous. Your hunter makes another shot hitting the bull someplace, you make another shot hitting him someplace, he's not stopping and now the gap to contact has closed to only feet away, no longer do you have the comfortable distance of a few yards to make a shot! That is the issue with less then adequate cartridges. Sure that bull will die, but he wants some company for the trip and is going after the closest person he can get to.

Where all this debate comes from is how many guys have done it with a handgun, bow, 45/70 etc. etc. Sure it's been done, and it can work. However,... is this a prudent idea? If that is what you want to use that's fine, heck I'll take anyone that wants to hunt buffalo with a 45/70, I'll book the hunts for them right now. I've got no problem at all with hunters bringing the 45/70.
One thing that would have to be accepted however,....... is the knowledge that if you shoot that bull and it runs off, it's your money in the form of a trophy fee that is running off. If he runs off and the PH shoots, are you comfortable with your trophy being poked with a 45/70 and killed with a 458Lott?

I'm not one to kiss and tell. However you must know that not every hunting photo you see in advertisements, in magazines, and on the Internet with the story being told actually match. Just as an example when I was guiding bear hunts with my hounds I took a lot of archery hunters. At least a dozen hunters shot every arrow they had with them. Yet the bear was still in the tree. Arrows stuck in the branches, the tree itself, or launched rattling through the branches and into the sky landing off in never never land. Yet most of these guys after using my gun to finally shoot the bear took photos with their bow laying across the bears body. I think Fred Bear shot a 1/2 dozen polar bears before he finally killed one that was not followed up with a rifle bullet. People know of his amazing feat with a bow and many now assume a bow is a perfectly functional weapon for polar bear. They never hear the stories about the prior bears that had been follow up shot with a gun. How many folks have the financial capability to make 6 polar bear hunts to get one in P&Y?

Big game shot with sub par cartridges and finished by the PH are no different, it happens. So when you see all the success of these hunts on the Internet and all the magazine articles, remember that they may not actually be matching 100% to the real details and the letter of the true story! Even if some of them do, it certainly does not mean that its a new industry standard for the minimum.

I've seen a few Buffalo shot with a single bullet that fell immobile at the shot, I've done it once myself. However for everyone I have seen fall to the shot, I've seen quite a few disappear into the bush. Once they disappear you have set up the PH with the worry of both his and his staffs safety, as well as yours. Now you're on foot tracking, worried, nervous, stressed. This mental condition does not provide any improved shooting skills for you. If after you follow it up and find it, do you think that a PH anywhere in Africa is going to say

"you shoot, it's your trophy. I don't want to put a bullet in him for you"

Yeah that is not gonna happen with dangerous game animals! First chance to shoot anyone with a gun is going to help bring this to a safe ending. At the point it has left your sight and is in the bush, the PH and maybe even the game scout are going to be shooting. This leaves us with another issue. What happens when you're tracking and another buffalo, maybe a different one, maybe the same one? Is seen right in front of you, 30 yards away, staring and snorting, the PH cannot see it through the bush, but it's in front of you. You gonna risk that next shot on a second bull? Options in this situation start running out. Wanna pay for that second trophy fee if it's not the same one?

Anyone bringing up the early 1900's with what hunters used then are so far out of the scope of reality that it's almost not even worth the discussion. There was no functional game management in much of Africa back then, some PH's may have used government scouts, others did not. Many scouts were paid about 5 times their salary by the hunter and PH, who do you think they worked for, or cared about? A lost animal was simply lost, there would be more along the way. Hunts in this era typically lasted a month or more, not the short 10 to 14 days many of toady's hunters have available. Game quota's were almost unlimited in many areas. There is virtually nothing that was the same in 1900 as there is in 2008 outside of the hunts both being in Africa.

Nobody I know would suggest that the 45/70 cannot kill a Buffalo. Nobody I know that has actually hunted them and had some level of stress during that hunt would suggest it is a good choice as a "stopping round"

That's it, simple as can be!

Offline straydog

« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2008, 09:19:02 AM »

JJHACK,
Well now you guys, this brings a whole new light on this to me.
That was about the best and most down to earth explanation of what it must
really be like to hunt DG, and all the issues the pros have to deal with.
I kind of feel like a fool(no I do feel like a fool)
JJHACK- bottom line,you are RIGHT totally.I never thought of all those other
issues you brought up and mostly of all if someone got hurt or killed because
of myself trying to prove some kind of point/ stunt that would really get to me.
So I stand corrected and am grateful for those valueable words coming sincerely from
you. And I will say coming from myself you are right and I am wrong.
When I come to hunt with you it will be something we discuss and you recommend.
Again I apologize to you totally and thank you for this valueable needed learning issue.
Sincerely with the deepest respect-Straydog   

Offline efremtags

• Contributor
« Reply #178 on: March 13, 2008, 01:23:37 PM »
JJ, I totaly agree with your summary and basically stated the same thing earlier in the thread.

How would you summarize a caliber/ammo selection for the client hunter. I get mixed messages from your writeups. You say you will hunt with a client that uses this class of weapon. You then paint a gloom and doom performance, painting a picture of dismal performance almost to the point of hunter negligence.

There is a big difference between what is adequate and inadequate for DG. No one should ever use inadequate, but how does one gauge adequate enough.

From a client perspective, dedicated stoppers are hard to shoot, expensive to feed and may be useless to  the hunter after their dream hunt is over. I think practice is limited by cost to shoot and ability to shoot, which makes for a less proficient hunter. I would rather guide a guy who shoots straight then a guy who flinches shots into the rump.

If a client can expect that the PH will open up immediately on any game that is not shot at with anything less than a 500NE, than what's the point of hunting DG. I understand risk asessment, but if initial shots are well placed, and proper follow up precautions are taken, what else can be expected. Animals don't always die where they stand. They get hit, they run. This is normal. I understand a charge is a different scenario, but other that immediate danger, why is useing only adequate caliber so bad.

Offline efremtags

• Contributor
« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2008, 01:26:11 PM »
Follow up, 375 is accepted as a DG cartridge, but definitely not a stopper. 45/70 can fall in 375 class with proper loading.