Author Topic: .45-70 vs. 416 Rigby  (Read 37963 times)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2005, 06:57:28 AM »
LMG, GEMSBUCK, The question was for a comparison between the 45-70 and the 416 Rigby. Can either one of you give hands on experience with both rounds here? Not from a book or what you heard, but real hands on shooting? I own both and can give an honest assessment of both rounds. I just found it odd you two just want to be one sided in this conversation.  I don't know either one of you and I don't know your shooting back round. But from your posts, you don't think there is a need of big bore guns, or did I misunderstand what you all wrote?  :?
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline GEMSBUCK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2005, 07:39:27 AM »
yes you misread my account of big bores! I own  a 458 Lott and a Win mdl 70 Super Grade 375, also have shot many,many times my brothers 505 Gibbs an 460 Wby mag.
 But if we wish to talk just pure big bore for DG hunting, let us first agree that 99.9% of all DG hunting is done at less than 50 yds most under 40 yds for buff, ele, etc. what bullet do you shoot out of that 416 of yours that can equal the performance of a 3" 12 ga slug at those ranges???? And we aren't even talking center fire!
 Like I said many posts ago a semi hot 45-70 reload reaches standard factory fodder for the 416.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2005, 09:31:02 AM »
Quote from: GEMSBUCK
yes you misread my account of big bores! I own  a 458 Lott and a Win mdl 70 Super Grade 375, also have shot many,many times my brothers 505 Gibbs an 460 Wby mag.
 But if we wish to talk just pure big bore for DG hunting, let us first agree that 99.9% of all DG hunting is done at less than 50 yds most under 40 yds for buff, ele, etc. what bullet do you shoot out of that 416 of yours that can equal the performance of a 3" 12 ga slug at those ranges???? And we aren't even talking center fire!
 Like I said many posts ago a semi hot 45-70 reload reaches standard factory fodder for the 416.

GEMSBUCK, Lets just agree to disagree. I don't see your point of view as well you don't mine. We could go back and fourth on this forever and I think we would still disagree.  So lets leave it at that.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2005, 04:15:40 PM »
...what bullet do you shoot out of that 416 of yours that can equal the performance of a 3" 12 ga slug at those ranges???? And we aren't even talking center fire!

Gemsbuck, you might want to clarify that for the rest of us.  What are you talking about that isn't a center fire?  Or did you mean something else?
NRA life member

Offline Larry Gibson

.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2005, 01:05:03 AM »
Redhawk1

“or did I misunderstand what you all wrote”

It would appear you are absolutely correct.  Where is “here” by the way? In any case you’ve failed to read or understand my previous posts; as previously stated I’ve experience with both cartridges plus numerous other big bores including a couple double rifles. I’ve also shot a single barrel .600 Nitro. With the 45-70 I have used the cartridge in trapdoors (have 3), Winchester M1886s (old and new), Marlin M1895s, various modern strong single shots and several Siamese Mausers including my own. A further rereading of my posts would reveal I’ve been shooting big bores over 30 years. I've owned a M70 .458, a couple of .375s (currently still have a M70) and am looking at a .416 (either a Ruger or a Dakota). If I win the lottery (LOLs but if I do I will) I will have a battery of Searcy double rifles. The first really big animal I killed a very pissed off water buffalo in ’65 and had been hunting for 10 years before that. The buffalo was doing a number on my M151 and I killed him with 7.62 NATO. Not exactly a big bore but the cumulative effect was there. I have hunted extensively and have a fairly large library of reference books, many on Africa. Neither I nor GEMSBUCK said we did not think there was a need for big bores. We both stated we have big bores, have experience with them and shoot them. The question was plains game out to 100 yards; there is no need for a DG big bore for plains game.

“If you personally cannot handle a big bore round, don't judge others that can.” That, Redhawk1, is an assumption on your part and certainly not one made based on the posts. Both GEMSBUCK and I have stated we have large bores and use them effectively. Our statements were in regards to your statement that "Big bore shooters don't make for bad shots” and the insinuation that big bore shooters all are good shots. It was YOU who “lump(ed) all big bore shooters into one classification” not GEMSBUCK and I. Having big bores, using them effectively and watching others shoot them we pointed out the incorrectness of your statements and the erroneous assumptions you draw.  As a metaphorical point; one doesn’t have to be able to drive a dump truck to know when someone else can’t drive one.

Let’s point out another erroneous assumption on your part; “The only difference between the big bore and small bore is the recoil, all the other preparation is exactly the same.”  Actually the preparation to shoot a big bore is much more extensive than it is with a small bore. It is because of the recoil that the preparation is different. A shooter, given good marksmanship instruction or background, will shoot a small bore well much quicker than they will shoot a big bore well. Given poor or no marksmanship instruction most shooters will not learn to shoot the big bore well at all and probably will not shoot the small or medium bore that well either.  An experienced, trained shooter understands recoil and either knows how to deal with it or will learn how and will shoot both big and small bores well. The untrained or inexperienced shooter who gets a big bore and proceeds to shoot it with no instruction will get the snot knocked out of them, will not learn to shoot it well and if he doesn’t give up will shoot it very poorly.  If he still takes the big bore hunting he will either miss the game animal entirely or wound the animal. Note in my previous discussions I included the larger magnums though they may be of small or medium bore.

I do not make poor examples of other shooters; they make poor examples of themselves. “You….should reserver your negative comments to those that apply.” This is the proverbial “pot calling the kettle black”. Considering some of your remarks concerning myself and others on this thread I would think you should heed your own advice. To further the discussion however, I consider it poor ethics if we excuse poor shooting at game animals whether it is with a small or big bore. I consider it poor advice to recommend big bore cartridges with considerable recoil to probably inexperienced shooters when they are not needed. I consider it good form that the question be answered based the questioner’s abilities and the questioner’s needs to effectively kill the game within the parameters of the question. The question should not be answered based on one’s own prejudices for a particular cartridge or size of bore.  The answer should remain germane to the question.

You may also want to rethink this statement; “You don't have to like big bores, and no one says you have to shoot them. But if you do go for big and even dangerous game some PH require them.” Redhawk1, I hate to burst your bubble but it is not the PH that requires big bores for DG, it is the law in most African countries.  As to other large game in Africa that are not “DG”, i.e. plains game, we find small and medium bore standard cartridges have been killing such plains game for well over 100 years without problem. Yes big bores kill them, but the big bores are not necessary.  

In closing this discussion let me say I realize you are the moderator of the “Big Bore” forum and obviously like big bores. That is ok and even if you don’t realize it I like them to. Big bores are fun and I have even slayed some non DG with them, some large and some pretty small game at that. But big bores for DG are not really necessary for non DG big game hunting. They are specialized tools for a specific type of hunting situation. It does no harm for the comparatively few hunters that can effectively use big bores to use them on non DG. I consider it unethical for a hunter to use a big bore, magnum or any cartridge for that matter if they can not shoot it well. A hunter owes it to the game animal and himself to learn to shoot as well as they can. It is unfortunate that many hunters do not learn how to shoot, do not know their own limitations and are blissfully ignorant of it all. It is also unfortunate that many untrained, unknowledgeable or those who must have the biggest with the mostest attempt to buy skill or make up for their lack of shooting ability with more power, i.e. big bores and magnums. This is actually counter productive. Almost all hunters would be better served with small or medium bores which they can shoot well rather than with a large bore or magnum that they can not shoot well. That goes for “here” as well as Africa. It is the simple truth, the simple fact. It has nothing to do with my likes or dislikes, what I shoot or don’t shoot, where I’ve hunted, what I’ve hunted for or even what my own hunting ethics are. Perhaps you should learn to understand that.

Larry Gibson

Offline GEMSBUCK

• Avid Poster
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2005, 03:39:11 AM »
Larry: No matter how often we post it is the readers of those posts  need to digest them for what they are....one man's opinion.
 I seriously doubt someone whom tolls the bell for a 600 Nitro on an eland will ever agree it is overkill.
 I have killed several 2000# plus animals with a 30-06 an 180 gr bullets, never leaving a cripple unaccounted for never needing more than 2 shots. But that's me, it's my $ I'm spending to do it.
 What I detest most is the snobbish attitude that holds to the theory.... "I own a 470 Nitro DBL and anyone using less is a backwoods redneck, trailer trash, cousin loving dullard. Whom can't afford to hunt DG and is looking for someone to pay for his stunt hunt with a 45-70 Marlin GG".
 I've said it often distroy a vital organ kill a beast. Be it arrow shaft, .308, .458,etc. shoot the biggest caliber you can shoot accurately. No amount of lead makes up for poor shooting skills or unethical shots....THE END!!

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2005, 06:09:24 AM »
Larry: No matter how often we post it is the readers of those posts  need to digest them for what they are....one man's opinion.
 I seriously doubt someone whom tolls the bell for a 600 Nitro on an eland will ever agree it is overkill.
 I have killed several 2000# plus animals with a 30-06 an 180 gr bullets, never leaving a cripple unaccounted for never needing more than 2 shots. But that's me, it's my $ I'm spending to do it.
 What I detest most is the snobbish attitude that holds to the theory.... "I own a 470 Nitro DBL and anyone using less is a backwoods redneck, trailer trash, cousin loving dullard. Whom can't afford to hunt DG and is looking for someone to pay for his stunt hunt with a 45-70 Marlin GG".
 I've said it often distroy a vital organ kill a beast. Be it arrow shaft, .308, .458,etc. shoot the biggest caliber you can shoot accurately. No amount of lead makes up for poor shooting skills or unethical shots....THE END!!

I agree with a lot you posted in your last post. You are 100% correct about, (No amount of lead makes up for poor shooting skills or unethical shots....) So true.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Ramrod

.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2005, 01:17:48 PM »
It appears to me that alot of the posts here, (many of them totally off-topic), are trying to transfer range shooting and ballistic program data to something that might work in Africa. Here I think it best to defer to J.J. Hack's experiance, rather than post a bunch of ballistic B.S.
As far as the original .45-70 vs .416 question, I belive it was answered many posts ago.
Quote from: EsoxLucius
Hard to believe there can really be an argument about this.

Amen!
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2005, 02:08:01 PM »
Quote from: Ramrod
It appears to me that alot of the posts here, (many of them totally off-topic), are trying to transfer range shooting and ballistic program data to something that might work in Africa. Here I think it best to defer to J.J. Hack's experiance, rather than post a bunch of ballistic B.S.
As far as the original .45-70 vs .416 question, I belive it was answered many posts ago.
Hard to believe there can really be an argument about this.

Amen!

I Agree... :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Lawdog

.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2005, 02:33:04 PM »
While I don’t have a .45-70 I do have the modern day version of the .45-70 the .450 Marlin(got two in fact with a third in the works).  I also have/shoot a Ruger M77 .416 Rigby so I believe I am qualified to answer the original question.

How do these two cal. rounds compare?

There is no comparison the .416 Rigby wins hands down whether comparing hot loads or factory loads.  My favorite load of 102.4 gr. of H4350 for my .416 Rigby drives a 400 gr. Barnes TSX or Banded Solid over 2,600 fps.(6,000fpe.) which far out performs any load one can come up with in a .45-70(or even a .450 Marlin for that matter).  My favorite load for my .450 Marlin(Win. M70 or Ruger No.1) drives a 450 gr. Barnes TSX or Banded Solid at 2170 fps.(4,700 fpe.).  No way would I chance this load thru either the Marlin or Winchester lever action rifles.  Can a .45-70 kill African game?  Of course, BUT is it legal to do so?  Not according to a number of outfitters/PH’s I have talked to.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Larry Gibson

.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2005, 06:50:23 PM »
People

My last post here. I got into this thread because JJHACK stated basically a 45-70 could not be loaded to equal a .416. I stated, explained and have offered to show that it can be done not in a lever action but in modern single shots and Siamese Mauser actions. A 400 gr jacketed bullet can be driven to 2300 fps safely which equals a factory .416. What the .416 can be loaded to is another story. The point being the 45-70 can equal a factory .416.

The original question concerned shooting African Plains game out to 100 yards. the 45-70 is entirely adequate for that. A load for dangerous game in either the 45-70 or the .416 is not necessary. All conversations concerning dangerous game loads or guns is not relevant to the original question.

As to legality of the 45-70 for hunting African Game? Come on Lawdog, it is certainly legal. You can hunt plains game with just about anything you want. There are minimum caliber restrictions in most countries for hunting dangerous game, not ALL African game. Any PH who says otherwise is BSing you. I'd bet if you offered to pay for the hunt you could hunt plains game with a .22 Hornet. There was even a recent article of the .204 Ruger used in Africa on some plains game. Offer the money and you will go hunting because; "When money talks, b*llsh*t walks."

By the way Lawdog, your 450 gr .450 Marlin load in the M70 or #1 is pretty close to the .458 Winchester Mag. Contrary to what JJHACK says the .458 Win Mag has been used in Africa for 50+ years quite successful. If you were to throat either rifle to seat the bullet out and pick up extra case capacity you would equal the .416 factory load with 400 gr bullets. But as you state; not in a Marlin or Winchester lever action. But then lever actions weren't mentioned in the original post/question now were they? Check with other hunters and read about African hunting. You will find the 45-70 with BP loads, with modern loads in lever actions and with hotter loads in modern rifles has been used and will be used to successfully kill African plains game of all sorts.

With that I am backing out of this thread. Good hunting to all.

Larry Gibson

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2005, 02:16:18 AM »
LMG, I will agree with the 45-70 being legal for plains game in Africa. I was just watching Under Wild Skys In Africa and they were using an  single shot 45-70 for Kudu.  Also I have heard of several people using the 45-70 for plains game.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline DanP

.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2005, 11:55:15 AM »
I think the .45-70 would be just fine for plains game!  It has the virtue of atmosphere as well as having a very long history of being very effective.  It would be a great challenge, to boot!

Dan

Offline josquin

.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2005, 08:48:24 PM »
Having just discovered this thread and the sometimes almost vitriolic discussions re the 45-70, I think I know why JJH didn't answer my e-mail regarding bringing  a 45-70 and (possibly) a .303 Epps (both loaded with Woodleigh bullets) for plains game! (No criticism intended, JJ.)

Although it appears that the 45-70 is quite capable at moderate ranges and people have indeed taken m'bogo with it, I think I can understand why a PH would frown on it.  Maybe I'd better just pick up that Dumoulin .375 currently for sale on the Canadian Gunnutz forum and just be done with it!

:-) Stuart

Offline JJHACK

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.huntingadventures.net
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2005, 02:39:46 AM »
I answer every Email I get to my knowledge, especially where Africa is concenred. If I neglected to reply it may be that there was no text in the topic line, or that is was sent from a business that was dumped by my "junk Email" program?

Nothing personal where junk Email is concenred I don't determine what is Junk Email Earthlink does. I have recently gone into that file and found a 1/2 dozen Emails that should have been in my ordinary incoming email. I have now been checking it frequently to be sure it's really all Junk.

With the amount of crap Email I get it's often difficult to scan through every one for content. Since I travel by Air 2-4 times a week if I cannot get on line from a hotel when I return home I often have 300-500 Emails just from 2-3 days away. That's a lot of time to sort through them and then reply. Of those Emails less then 25 are usually something important. The rest are for the typical low interest rates, viagra, perscriptions, aluminum siding new windows, etc. etc.

The best way I have found to send an Email you need to be read is to request a return reciept. That way it a window will pop up when you try to delete it or when you (I) scan past it.

I never deliberately ignore Emails especailly about Africa. Sorry for that.
www.huntingadventures.net
jjhack@huntingadventures.net

Offline josquin

.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2005, 04:50:09 PM »
Quote from: JJHACK
I answer every Email I get to my knowledge, especially where Africa is concenred. If I neglected to reply it may be that there was no text in the topic line, or that is was sent from a business that was dumped by my "junk Email" program? ... I never deliberately ignore Emails especailly about Africa. Sorry for that.

No problem, JJ, not taken personally. I figured it just got lost in cyberspace and/or you had, as you say, 300+ messages and were in transit somewhere.  I no longer have the message but the Subject line prob. said something like "45-70 & .303 Epps for plains game."

:) Stuart

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2005, 06:33:16 AM »
Thank you JJack.  I love the 45-70 as well but what are these people smoking?????  Get a clue the 45-70 is not impressive anymore. Can they not admit that the only big bore they own is good but not excellent.  In the scheme of big bores it is one of the weakest I don't care how much you may pump it up!   :x
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline Gurn

.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2005, 03:16:47 PM »
Wasn't there an article I think last year about someone, in Africa, shooting clean through two Cape Buffalo that were standing side by side with a 22" Marlin 1895?
HEAVE THE LEAD BOYS!

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2006, 07:40:06 AM »
Many of poachers have downed elephant with 7.62X39mm AK's.  Doesn't mean it is a good caliber nor gun to use.. For good sake a 243 has the same enegy level as a 45-70. Ok rugar level  300 win mag level energy.
 :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline dbking

.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2006, 01:49:51 PM »
Let's just say this upfront. There is no way,no how, no matter how 'HOT' you think you can reload a 45-70, that it will ever, I repeat EVER be on par with a 416 rigby. You may say what you want, but everone here who knows anything about reloading or ballistics know that this is a bs argument. If you want to go to Africa or Alaska and take a DG with a 45-70, hell get after it and send the pictures and hunting report here. I think everyone would love to see the results, I know I would. Otherwise isn't this discussion going to go on forever! But make sure the comparison it apples vs apples.

The thing you see when don't have a gun! :-)
All opinions above are mine..................so get your own :)

Offline Syncerus

• Contributor
Conventional Wisdom ...
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2006, 06:39:26 AM »
The conventional exists because everything else has been tried and found wanting.

Syncerus
Don't vote for Socialists.

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2006, 10:34:28 AM »
I just spend the last 25 min reading this entire post.  Pretty interesting stuff.  Larry Gibson put up a very nice argument, I respect that.  I do not own a 45-70 or a 416 of any king.  I aggree with Larry, my biggest gun I shot is a 375 h&h and that is because Im not "that good with the larget magnums".

I can very comfortably shoot my 30-06, 60-80 rounds in 1 secion with no problems. but that Darn 375 h&h still gets me after 18-20 rounds.

Offline Demonical

• Avid Poster
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2006, 01:39:49 AM »
I have a .45-70 Marlin 1895GS. I have loaded it to ~1920fps MV with 405gr Remingtons and 400gr Speers and IMHO that load is way too hot!

After that reloading session (experimental) I dropped the load to ~1800fps MV and then shot a 350lb black bear with the 400gr Speer at 40 yds. That MV was still too hot for the bullet construction! Those Speers literally disintegrated! There were only fragments left, and I realized that 1800fps MV is still too fast for the bullet construction.

What I came to realize is that 400gr bullets designed for .45-70 are constructed for velocities in the 1300fps MV range. I have since reduced my load further to ~1700fps MV with 400gr Hawk bullets but have yet to shoot anything with that combination.

I cannot fathom anyone attempting to drive a 400gr bullet out of a Marlin lever gun past 1900fps MV, it is not safe IMHO. The gun is going to blow up eventually.

As for claims of 2000+ fps MV out of a .45-70... well I just think it is irresponsible to even make those claims.

You can load 500gr bullets in the .45-70 but IMHO the super hard construction of the jackets on a bullet such as the 500gr Hornady SP (which I also have) are not meant for those Marlin lever guns either and you would have to load them down to avoid high pressures. I haven't tried it though so I cannot comment on practical results, and that is only an opinion.

The obvious advantage of the .416 over the .45-70 or the Lott over the .45-70 is bullet construction and sectional density. The 400gr .416 has far superior construction and SD rating as compared to the short, squat 400gr .458 cal .45-70 bullets!

I have a .416RM, a .458 Lott as well as that .45-70. Bullets for the .45-70 are 350gr Hornadys; 400gr Speer; 405gr Remington and 400gr Hawks.
For the .416 I have 350gr Speer Mag Tips and 400gr Hornady SP and Solids and for the .458 Lott I have 500gr Hornady SP and Solids.

Assuming any of the BS about the loaded velocities of the .45-70 claimed is true, the bullets do not compare in any way, with .416 cal 400gr or .458 cal 500gr bullets!  

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_SD_list.htm

Even at the relatively low MV of 1800fps on a soft skinned black bear, that 400gr .458 Speer turned inside out. Fragments! Believe me I know!

It is amazing to me that anyone would consider it suitable on a Cape Buffalo, which is about the toughest 4 footed animal on the planet! Sure if I had a PH standing behind me with a .458 Lott I'd probably give it a try but basically I consider it a stunt. :?

It is also ludicrous to me that anyone could argue these points with an African PH who has lived the reality for 15 years.

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2006, 04:12:28 AM »
I cannot fathom anyone attempting to drive a 400gr bullet out of a Marlin lever gun past 1900fps MV, it is not safe IMHO. The gun is going to blow up eventually.
Is your opinion is based on fact or experience?  I have been reloading the 45-70 for the Marlin 1895 for 28 years.  It is well established in the literature that the safe operating pressure of the Marlin 1895 45-70 is 40,000 CUP.  A safe operating pressure is that which allows the firearm to be stressed, yet return to stasis, providing a lifetime of service.  A 405 grain Remington JSP driven 1950 fps in a 22" barrel is within that safe operating pressure.  I have at least 1500 rounds of that load through my 1977-vintage Marlin 1895 on top of 3000 rounds of other loads between 28,000 and 40,000 CUP.  I'll have to rebarrel a couple of times before the rifle's action wears out.  The 405 grain Remington has a harder core than the 400 grain Speer and the two cannelures and the step secure the jacket better.  However, even this bullet will fragment at higher velocities.  It will often shed its 50 or so grain jacket which causes secondary wounding and the 350 or so grain core keeps penetrating.  I have killed deer, black bear, hog and a moose with this load.  A 400 grain Barnes Original or 405 grain Woodleigh at the same velocity would make an adequate medium range African plains game round.  Ideal? Probably not, but in capable hands it would work well.

I can see where a PH would be uncomfortable with a Marlin 1895 45-70 in the hands of a client going after Cape Buffalo.

That said, the 45-70 is no 416 Rigby.  However, it is a capable large (not African dangerous) game round to 250 yards.  In addition, the 24" and 26" barreled 1895s are indeed capable of handling 40,000 CUP 45-70 loads that will achieve 2000 fps.  Facts are facts, and opinions are like...
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline GEMSBUCK

• Avid Poster
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2006, 08:10:57 AM »
If the 45-70 would've been  brought out in England or Germany with today's good bullets it would be considered a fine short range cape buffalo caliber. What the snobbish type dislike about the 45-70 is an over the counter rifle can be bought new for under $500.
 A .458 bullet of adaquate construction at 1800-2000fps is a killer no matter how much that burns the butt of the "English NE" crowd.

Offline CyberSniper

• Contributor
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2006, 11:03:31 AM »
Can't believe this thread has been running on and off
for about 3 1/2 years now...

Offline GEMSBUCK

• Avid Poster
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2006, 12:59:08 AM »
I assume it won't die for the same reason the 45-70 refuses to lie down, it has a loyal following.

Offline Demonical

• Avid Poster
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2006, 11:12:47 AM »
Is your opinion is based on fact or experience? I have been reloading the 45-70 for the Marlin 1895 for 28 years.  

Quite limited compared to your experience; I have 3 years personally handloading the .45-70 and 15 years on various other calibers from .270, .30-06, .338WM on up to .416RM and .458 Lott (new to the Lott actually). I have also referenced handloaders with much more time on the bench with the caliber, as well as extensive reading, manual reference etc...

One thing I am keenly aware of is the exponential relationship of pressure and velocity, particularly with the .45-70, as they operate near maximum loads.

I routinely read handloaders citing numbers in Marlin Guide Guns, which most reloading manuals recommend only be fired out of Ruger No.1's.
Which is why we see so many pictures of blown up Marlin Guide Guns on the internet. There are too many people (and I'm not saying you are one of them cuz' you've managed to do it for so long) buying these guns and throwing caution to the wind IMHO. BUT a "newbie" sees your info and doesn't realize the risk as they push the velocity/pressure envelope and *BOOM!!* Another blown up Guide Gun!!

It is well established in the literature that the safe operating pressure of the Marlin 1895 45-70 is 40,000 CUP.  A safe operating pressure is that which allows the firearm to be stressed, yet return to stasis, providing a lifetime of service.  A 405 grain Remington JSP driven 1950 fps in a 22" barrel is within that safe operating pressure.  I have at least 1500 rounds of that load through my 1977-vintage Marlin 1895 on top of 3000 rounds of other loads between 28,000 and 40,000 CUP.

EsoxLucius, I would like to know how you arrive at your CUP pressure of your handloads? Are you interpreting handloading data and extrapolating data from loading manuals, or have you actually submitted your handloads to someone like Speer to be fired in a proof barrel to get real data?
If your CUP values are really just from crunching reloading manuals numbers and are not based on proof barrel data then I say you really do not know what CUP pressure your loads are and you may be well below the dangerous levels, or flirting with disaster.
Assuming your loads have been verified in a proof barrel at 40,000 CUP surely a veteran handloader would reduce that and load to a safety factor, maybe limiting the CUP to 30,000 or so. I know I would.

FYI my 350gr Hornadys are chronographed avgerage 2,025fps MV and my 400gr and 405gr handloads are 1,700fps MV.

I'll have to rebarrel a couple of times before the rifle's action wears out.  The 405 grain Remington has a harder core than the 400 grain Speer and the two cannelures and the step secure the jacket better.  However, even this bullet will fragment at higher velocities.  It will often shed its 50 or so grain jacket which causes secondary wounding and the 350 or so grain core keeps penetrating.  I have killed deer, black bear, hog and a moose with this load.  A 400 grain Barnes Original or 405 grain Woodleigh at the same velocity would make an adequate medium range African plains game round.  Ideal? Probably not, but in capable hands it would work well.

Those are interesting points. My experience is only with the 405gr Remingtons, 350gr Speer FN and 400gr Hawks. I must look into the Woodleighs and Barnes Original.

I can see where a PH would be uncomfortable with a Marlin 1895 45-70 in the hands of a client going after Cape Buffalo.

That said, the 45-70 is no 416 Rigby.  However, it is a capable large (not African dangerous) game round to 250 yards.  

I think on these points we agree.

Offline bud340

.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2006, 01:35:38 PM »
Those are interesting points. My experience is only with the 405gr Remingtons, 350gr Speer FN and 400gr Hawks. I must look into the Woodleighs and Barnes Original

I use the Barnes Original 400gr. bullet in a 1895cb (26" barrel) at about 2000 fps and they hold together very well. I have only been useing them for a year and have shot 8 animals of verying size and distance and none of the bullets have come apart.  I shot one through a 29" spruce block from 10 yards and made a 1" exit hole. http://www.realguns.com/loads/4570.htm

The Woodleighs are very hard to find in Canada.  I found the Barnes at Bashaw Sports.  Good bullets are difficult to buy in Canada!!

Offline Demonical

• Avid Poster
.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2006, 02:16:16 PM »
Quote from: bud340
Those are interesting points. My experience is only with the 405gr Remingtons, 350gr Speer FN and 400gr Hawks. I must look into the Woodleighs and Barnes Original

I use the Barnes Original 400gr. bullet in a 1895cb (26" barrel) at about 2000 fps and they hold together very well. I have only been useing them for a year and have shot 8 animals of verying size and distance and none of the bullets have come apart.  I shot one through a 29" spruce block from 10 yards and made a 1" exit hole. http://www.realguns.com/loads/4570.htm

The Woodleighs are very hard to find in Canada.  I found the Barnes at Bashaw Sports.  Good bullets are difficult to buy in Canada!!

Bashaw Sports is a great business! Superior service and prices. I live in Whitecourt and I've bought a couple of guns from them.

bud340 see my comments about overloaded .45-70. Of course this is all IMHO but 2000fps MV with 400gr in a Marlin 1895?
Man that's some serious velocity! I hope that load is safe.